IGNORED

Positives and concerns

The Humble Realist

Didn't want to say 'negatives ' because it feels too early to be too harsh on anyone/thing...

Positives

-Bobby Reid obviously

-We look quite solid without the ball defensively . Back four played well in both the last 2 home games conceding one fluke deflected goal

-Pisano looks like a big upgrade on Little and has slotted in excellently 

-Frankies form. Some really key saves. Just work on kicking the ball straight Frankie :)

-Pack...i've been a sceptic for many a year but so far he would be my first pick in centre mid

-only one defeat in 5 league games

-the atmosphere....great singing in the new singing section in the 3 home games which seems to resonate around to other stands better so far.  I think last night was great.  Villa fans were excellent and so we're ours so credit all round. 

Concerns

- only one win in 5 (note a positive is only 1 defeat). We now have 3 toughish on paper games ....if we don't win one of those we will be sliding towards the bottom end of the table

- Diedhou and service to him...not great against milwall but it's too early to judge him specifically yet. However...service to him at leat in the last two home games has been poor...he ain't going to make his own goals I sense so we need to improve service to him

-the flint situation...no one is 'winning' currently. Hopefully some sort of resolution before the window shuts. See positives for th players who have been playing in defence 

-The poasibility of losing someone unexpected before window shuts  ...Bryan? Magnússon ?

-How good is the squad quality wise? We certainly have better depth but can our players off the bench actuslly fundamentally change the way we play...only Đurić provably as a bit different but he is injured (a bit concerningly given he was out for a few months way back before th end of last season)

Overall a fairly 'ok' start so far. I sense we have generally had decent fixtures and we have picked up a decent amount of points. We have however played 3 home games. We will know a lot more after the next 3 games where we play teams who are expected to be in the top half.  Hopefully we pick up an absolute minimum of 3 points although on paper that might be tough.  

I suppose my biggest concern is with LJ's tactical nous. I was encouraged at Brum as we played well and were unlucky; but Brentford was woeful. We knew exactly how they were gonna play (having been at last season's game) and they didn't disappoint. But again we struggled, pitifully.

But we have undoubtedly improved in some areas, so maybe I'm worrying about nothing...

3 minutes ago, Kodes said:

I suppose my biggest concern is with LJ's tactical nous. I was encouraged at Brum as we played well and were unlucky; but Brentford was woeful. We knew exactly how they were gonna play (having been at last season's game) and they didn't disappoint. But again we struggled, pitifully.

But we have undoubtedly improved in some areas, so maybe I'm worrying about nothing...

I expect everyone has concerns about LJ after last seasons fiasco. And rightly so . But from what I've seen this season so far . We look a better side / squad. Of course there will be downs . But I don't foresee last seasons problems. :fingerscrossed: 

10 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I expect everyone has concerns about LJ after last seasons fiasco. And rightly so . But from what I've seen this season so far . We look a better side / squad. Of course there will be downs . But I don't foresee last seasons problems. :fingerscrossed: 

Agree, I see more toughness than last season.  Time will tell.

Need to keep unbeaten at home as long as possible, it will breed confidence and take the pressure off away from home.

1 hour ago, The Humble Realist said:

Didn't want to say 'negatives ' because it feels too early to be too harsh on anyone/thing...

Positives

-Bobby Reid obviously

-We look quite solid without the ball defensively . Back four played well in both the last 2 home games conceding one fluke deflected goal

-Pisano looks like a big upgrade on Little and has slotted in excellently 

-Frankies form. Some really key saves. Just work on kicking the ball straight Frankie :)

-Pack...i've been a sceptic for many a year but so far he would be my first pick in centre mid

-only one defeat in 5 league games

-the atmosphere....great singing in the new singing section in the 3 home games which seems to resonate around to other stands better so far.  I think last night was great.  Villa fans were excellent and so we're ours so credit all round. 

Concerns

- only one win in 5 (note a positive is only 1 defeat). We now have 3 toughish on paper games ....if we don't win one of those we will be sliding towards the bottom end of the table

- Diedhou and service to him...not great against milwall but it's too early to judge him specifically yet. However...service to him at leat in the last two home games has been poor...he ain't going to make his own goals I sense so we need to improve service to him

-the flint situation...no one is 'winning' currently. Hopefully some sort of resolution before the window shuts. See positives for th players who have been playing in defence 

-The poasibility of losing someone unexpected before window shuts  ...Bryan? Magnússon ?

-How good is the squad quality wise? We certainly have better depth but can our players off the bench actuslly fundamentally change the way we play...only Đurić provably as a bit different but he is injured (a bit concerningly given he was out for a few months way back before th end of last season)

Overall a fairly 'ok' start so far. I sense we have generally had decent fixtures and we have picked up a decent amount of points. We have however played 3 home games. We will know a lot more after the next 3 games where we play teams who are expected to be in the top half.  Hopefully we pick up an absolute minimum of 3 points although on paper that might be tough.  

A good sensible,post HR

with some legitimate concerns - think you probably  reflect the general feeling of most 

I wouldn't class losing someone like Magnússon as being a major concern, he's miles away from a starting position. Joe Bryan has been fantastic so far this season and looking very much a premier league left back in the making, losing him would leave a very big hole

• Admin

Not sure the possibility of someone unexpected leaving is a negative as there's a reasonable chance it won't happen so would it then switch to positive? 

If Aden stayed I'd happily allow Hordur to move on with our best wishes and a stonking sell on percentage. Promote Lloyd Kelly to the role of JB understudy. 

If JB left I'd agree that would be a massive downer but I don't think it will. 

We are still expected to bring one more in so that might be a positive. Unless it's that Icelandic keeper :shutup:

24 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Not sure the possibility of someone unexpected leaving is a negative as there's a reasonable chance it won't happen so would it then switch to positive? 

If Aden stayed I'd happily allow Hörður to move on with our best wishes and a stonking sell on percentage. Promote Lloyd Kelly to the role of JB understudy. 

If JB left I'd agree that would be a massive downer but I don't think it will. 

We are still expected to bring one more in so that might be a positive. Unless it's that Icelandic keeper :shutup:

Not unless an Icelandic keeper can be described as another attacking player. Bit radical, except possibly for Pep. :whistle:

Archived