IGNORED

Training facilities

mattjtsmith

Just a question for those who will know better. What exactly is the state of our academy / training facilities. I know they had an upgrade in 2012 and we are a category 2, but are we still looking to upgrade? On the website it says about 'designing and building' new facilities so is this happening? Seems like our project demands a category 1 academy with the focus on youth and development

LJ wants to install a huge screen. 

I remember hearing something about new facilities not so long ago but it's all gone quiet. We need one of those facilities that has indoor pitches, swimming pools etc. 

Google Brighton training ground, that is exactly what we need to help take us to the next level. 

It's surprising we haven't yet got a facility like that cos clearly SL has the funds to undertake a project like that.

I am slightly worried that with the rugby club building a new facility we will get use of it as and when.

11 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I remember hearing something about new facilities not so long ago but it's all gone quiet. We need one of those facilities that has indoor pitches, swimming pools etc. 

Google Brighton training ground, that is exactly what we need to help take us to the next level. 

It's surprising we haven't yet got a facility like that cos clearly SL has the funds to undertake a project like that.

I am slightly worried that with the rugby club building a new facility we will get use of it as and when.

There are certain facilities that could be shared by all the teams - gyms, massage facilities, canteens, meeting rooms, pitches etc - makes sense to have it all in one site.

12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

There are certain facilities that could be shared by all the teams - gyms, massage facilities, canteens, meeting rooms, pitches etc - makes sense to have it all in one site.

I know Cardiff use this idea with Cardiff City, Blues, Wales Football and Rugby all training within the same facilities next door to eachother.

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Indeed, it would be an excellent idea to have one super facility but it appears we are not going down that path for some reason.

It's great the rugby club are getting those facilities but it's kinda like knocking on your neighbours door to use their toilet.

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

Brighton's training complex cost £38 million 

1 hour ago, JimmyDanger said:

I know Cardiff use this idea with Cardiff City, Blues, Wales Football and Rugby all training within the same facilities next door to eachother.

Does help when national teams are involved, remember being down there one time when the Welsh rugby team were training, the facility is incredible. 

2 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

And now they are in the Premier League so a very shrewd investment. Develop of couple of young players there and sell them on and it's paid for itself.

How did they afford that whilst being a Championship club? 

Because their chairman is as minted as SL and I think funds put into training/youth development are exempt from FFP.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Because their chairman is as minted as SL and I think funds put into training/youth development are exempt from FFP.

Yep, it doesn't count towards FFP, Tony Bloom also employed Chris Hughton 

2 hours ago, Up The City! said:

And now they are in the Premier League so a very shrewd investment. Develop of couple of young players there and sell them on and it's paid for itself.

How did they afford that whilst being a Championship club? 

Because their owner Tony Bloom , a lifelong fan has put £230 million into the Club

The same owner who gave every member of staff , down to the tea ladies a %20 bonus when they were promoted

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

In that case why the he'll are we not building something like that?

I know what we have is light years ahead of other clubs but if you have the right infrastructure in place then success comes that little bit easier, signing top players becomes easier and attracting local talented youngsters becomes easier.

The business case looks very attractive when you can house all the teams under the Bristol Sport banner all under one roof in one huge complex.

3 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I know what we have is light years ahead of other clubs but if you have the right infrastructure in place then success comes that little bit easier, signing top players becomes easier and attracting local talented youngsters becomes easier.

The business case looks very attractive when you can house all the teams under the Bristol Sport banner all under one roof in one huge complex.

Not sure if there's a model like this in existence.. but if you had these facilities and all these sports teams in one complex, you could create something like a cross between Millfield school and an American college on the same site.

The centre could include a school and you could offer scholarships to promising footballers/rugby players/basketball players etc to come and learn and train at the world class facilities here. Could help get around work permit or visa issues and could be a big moneymaker.

Might be a bit fanciful and would require extensive planning and investment but I think it's a cool idea. 

9 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I`m not sure which way round Brighton did it - did they build the Amex and then the training complex? We`re running about eight years behind them (due to AV) IMO so maybe it will be coming, who knows?

12 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`m not sure which way round Brighton did it - did they build the Amex and then the training complex? We`re running about eight years behind them (due to AV) IMO so maybe it will be coming, who knows?

The training ground was second, in 2014

Archived