IGNORED

Would City games sell out with cheaper prices?

reddogkev

The obvious part - general consensus is football tickets are too expensive (not just at City, I hasten to add).

Without checking for 100%, I'd say our average attendance must be approx. 19k.  It would be outstanding if we got to the stage where we frequently sold out Ashton Gate.

Why doesn't this already happen?  The Championship is a very high quality league, full of big teams and talented players.  I feel the City of Bristol, coupled with surrounding areas, should have enough people who support City to easily fill the ground for every league game.  So my question is, would cheaper match tickets (added to the much improved match-day experience) guarantee selling out each game?  And for those who mention buying season tickets or memberships, I'm only interested in the reduction of the actual league game ticket cost, and whether this would help us fill the stadium.

Imagine, for argument's sake, the price for each game was £20.00, would we always fill the ground, or is this just wishful thinking?

Can't or won't justify average £30.

This thread will inevitably swerve towards membership which equates to about a £130 upfront commitment for four games of football.

If that's value for you then that's your choice.  Everyone I know begs to differ.

A six game flexi-ticket is an option the club seriously needs to consider.

I've mentioned on here previously that Bristol Sport have to pay for a "residents' parking scheme" on matchdays if 3 games out of 5 get over 25k each. Now this might cheekily include Bris (in which case that's unlikely to happen for a year or two) but if it's just based on City's crowds I'll bet there's a reluctance to go nuts on ticket prices to get bums on seats as a result. 

It was agreed with the council as a condition of the redevelopment of AG. 

I don't think the prices are untoward.

Membership card 1 x £20= £20

10 games x £23= £230

Total £250 for 10 games or £25 per game.

Average salary £28,000 for 35 hours, 48 weeks or £16.67 per hour or £25 per 90 mins.

Seems totally fair?

I don't think reducing prices by a fiver will make much difference.

Yes, cheaper prices would in the long run, mean that we would sell out more often. I know lots of people who would love to attend live football regularly and who say that football is now for rich people.  They will not pay a lump sum for a season ticket, but would be prepared to pay on the day if prices are low enough. Consequently and sadly many young people have never experienced a sense of belonging to a local club, which was a given back in the day.

I am very much in favour of cheap PotD. It would result in attendances varying with team performance. This would mean that that club owners would be subjected to real time performance related pay like the rest of us are at work every day. What's "good" for us should be good for rich club owners.

We'll put bums on seats soon enough when we become much more consistent, especially with our home performances and are sitting comfortably just below the play off places. 

Our attendances are now the highest for many years, we have significantly increased our corporate and use of the stadium other than on match days, so let's see where that takes us.

Agreed we need to increase match day numbers but let's do it by attracting new fans who will then stick with us, rather than selling out simply because it's cheap. One bad result and they will disappear rapidly like the tide at Weston Super Mud.

As a dual ST holder, I notice that when very cheap deals are on offer for Bristol Rugby, the majority of adults who take up those offers, aren't too interested in the game, usually a group chatting among themselves and swilling down the beer and taking little interest in the match. I'm wholly in favour of all special deals for under 16 year olds as they are the future. 

18 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I don't think the prices are untoward.

Membership card 1 x £20= £20

10 games x £23= £230

Total £250 for 10 games or £25 per game.

Average salary £28,000 for 35 hours, 48 weeks or £16.67 per hour or £25 per 90 mins.

Seems totally fair?

I don't think reducing prices by a fiver will make much difference.

By average I presume you mean the mean average?  Completely distorted by outliers at the extreme ends of the scale.

Take home £16.67 per hour, as a norm?  I bloody wish.

Living expenses are becoming extortionate.  In real terms, nurses are £3k per annum worse off than they were five years ago.

Also, people that can't commit the time and/or money to a season ticket (available at about £17 per game cheapest) are unlikely to justify paying £25 for 10.

I would be astounded if SL hadn't had business analysts in to advise on the balance between prices and take up and no doubt they will claim they have it about right.

Everyone I know who doesn't attend but would like to state they have basically been priced out.  

The average age of attendee in England is now 50, it was 27 in 1990.  I think that is very telling.

Football is now a luxury for the comfortable.

35 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I've mentioned on here previously that Bristol Sport have to pay for a "residents' parking scheme" on matchdays if 3 games out of 5 get over 25k each. Now this might cheekily include Bris (in which case that's unlikely to happen for a year or two) but if it's just based on City's crowds I'll bet there's a reluctance to go nuts on ticket prices to get bums on seats as a result. 

It was agreed with the council as a condition of the redevelopment of AG. 

A residents' parking scheme in the sense of put up signs designating resident permit only and administer the issuing of the permits to each house?

If so then I wouldn't have thought that would be too expensive; an office junior could administer that in half a day a week.

7 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

A residents' parking scheme in the sense of put up signs designating resident permit only and administer the issuing of the permits to each house?

If so then I wouldn't have thought that would be too expensive; an office junior could administer that in half a day a week.

And then paying to enforce it....

59 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Most of them would rather stay home and watch Sky Sports.

Maybe most but not all. I'd love to go to the gate more but living in Cardiff and not driving means £7-15 for the train before I even buy a ticket. If a ticket is £30 by the time I get the buses, train and ticket im down around £50. For that I can take the mrs and the kids out for a meal, knocking the prices down by £10 may not sound like much but £20 for a ticket is far more appealing than £30 and helps keep the costs down. 

Ultimately for me it comes down to value, I am not happy with our squad or the performances, change that and suddenly the price becones acceptable, as it is I don't see value or entertainment for money, I just see it as paying £50 to waste a Saturday. I love the club, always will but I'm old enough and wise enough to know what I want for my money and right now City don't offer it. 

5 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

And then paying to enforce it....

Hence the question mark in my post.

Though again how much does it cost to hire a parking warden for an afternoon, £200 tops (I know they're not paid that).

It's all very small potatoes and I don't think that it would be a consideration for ticket pricing; if we start seeing some serious success then 30k gates ahoy.

The "residents' parking scheme" has been mentioned a couple of times. This got me thinking. 

The stadium and facilities are excellent but parking and transport could still be an issue for some? Maybe if decent 'reasonably priced' parking was available (Long Ashton Park & Ride for example), this may encourage more people to attend?

How about securing a deal with the Long Ashton P&R and offering the matchday ticket that includes parking rather than reduce the cost of the ticket? Might this encourage more to turn up?

5 minutes ago, Red Grovesy said:

The "residents' parking scheme" has been mentioned a couple of times. This got me thinking. 

The stadium and facilities are excellent but parking and transport could still be an issue for some? Maybe if decent 'reasonably priced' parking was available (Long Ashton Park & Ride for example), this may encourage more people to attend?

How about securing a deal with the Long Ashton P&R and offering the matchday ticket that includes parking rather than reduce the cost of the ticket? Might this encourage more to turn up?

Not for the want of trying,

The council have balls'd up majorly there not a jot the club can do until the council sort themselves out 

2 minutes ago, onlyotib said:

Iv always said I really don't mind paying £40 a ticket as long as we hav a chairman pumping millions into the club. It has to work both ways.

We don't pay 40 quid a ticket and we do have a chairman pumping millions in, ;) 

I'd like to see Bristol City more often than I do, but it comes down to value for money for me. It's too expensive to be a regular thing for me, and a trip to Ashton Gate is more of a treat for me than a regular thing.

£30 isn't a lot of money, but £60+ a month is quite a lot just for tickets. Add travel costs to that, and the general bother of getting in/out means that as far as cost goes it's a bit too much. I hear enough frustration around the ground from parents taking their kids to safely say that I think cheaper tickets and streamlining the process of getting the fans in and out of the stadium would go a long way towards more people going to watch the games.

As sad as it sounds, I think a lot of people would be willing to pay a bit more for a better experience. If normal tickets were £15, but £40 got you a nicer seat, more leg room, some food, and somewhere quieter to wait around before and after the game I think more people would turn up. I've heard good things about the hospitality tickets, but not much for the executive stuff.

Elasticity is what it's about. In sales bullshit a perfectly elastic price means if you halve it you sell twice as many. Because fans are remarkably loyal customers ticket prices are only a little elastic.

If we halved prices we'd sell more but nowhere near double and we couldn't fit them in anyway.  Makes sense for Bradford but not for us.  If we took 25% off we'd sell a few more but likely not to enough to replace 25% of lost revenue on the ones we sell now.  I think the pricing is about right, less than £20 a game for ST holders. 

What makes sense is lots of incentives for kids to make sure the base goes up in the long term and the club do a pretty good job of that. 

I find this a funny conversation point that can never be fully proved one way or another.

I think the clubs stance is that if prices are £30 then they can lower them but if they were £20 they cant increase them to £30 if we started selling out.

Personally I think if people want an excuse not to go then cost is an easy one but if we draw Man C in the cup I assume they wouldn't be interested because it will cost more than Barnsley.

31 minutes ago, onlyotib said:

Iv always said I really don't mind paying £40 a ticket as long as we hav a chairman pumping millions into the club. It has to work both ways.

Bloody eck, I certainly mind paying £40 a ticket!  If a rich chairman / owner wants to pump millions into a club, that's fine if it's their decision, but the fans don't have to bankroll it!

Why not have banding system,based on where we are in the table,band c if we're bottom 8,band b if we're middle 8 and band a if we're top 8,band c could start at a little above the season ticket prices,add a little more for mid table,and bit more if we're top 8,no idea how it would work in practice mind.

It's a difficult balance for the club.

i think my sc works out at around £20 per match which as the club rightly say is the cheapest way to watch City. So potd prices have to be higher than £20 or nobody would buy a season card.

The quid a kid initiative was effective in filling AG but I cant remember the last time that was on offer.

It's simply impossible for the club to offer 'cheap' tickets whilst meeting the demands of fans in terms of transfer and wage spending, unfortunately. 

Add to that the fact that we do not have a large hardcore following. 

The focus for the club should be maximising season ticket sales. I don't know how much cheaper they could realistically be made but we need to be pushing for 20,000 STs over the next few years - that's the only way we're going to routinely sell out. 

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Hence the question mark in my post.

Though again how much does it cost to hire a parking warden for an afternoon, £200 tops (I know they're not paid that).

It's all very small potatoes and I don't think that it would be a consideration for ticket pricing; if we start seeing some serious success then 30k gates ahoy.

For it to be enforced it has to be legal - you can't just randomly create a parking zone at the drop of a hat can you? I'd imagine there's a lot of legal stuff to go through first and then it's not just a case of ticketing people etc. 

Archived