IGNORED

Joe Bryan

Whale Eye Beef Hooked

37 minutes ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

Uhhh read the article 

In fact, Bryan is the top ranking full-back in the entire league, following on from ranking as the top left-back last season.

If you think that joe Bryan was the best left back in our league last season you must be blind! Don't care what some stat driven article says.

With my own eyes I watched him struggle for a good half a season on all aspects of his game.

This season so far so good!!

He is top quality - when he applies himself. 

Unfortunately all too often last season he looked like he couldnt give a toss. Very lazy, zero application and a real going-through-the motions performances. 

However, complete opposite so far this season, hes been very very good. 

But, would it be a tad wrong of me to suggest performances and his application are due to him being aware of suitors elsewhere and an improved set of performances may equal that nice little move elsewhere?!

2 minutes ago, nickolas said:

He is top quality - when he applies himself. 

Unfortunately all too often last season he looked like he couldnt give a toss. Very lazy, zero application and a real going-through-the motions performances. 

However, complete opposite so far this season, hes been very very good. 

But, would it be a tad wrong of me to suggest performances and his application are due to him being aware of suitors elsewhere and an improved set of performances may equal that nice little move elsewhere?!

I honestly don't think joes that type of person

16 minutes ago, Spoons said:

If you think that joe Bryan was the best left back in our league last season you must be blind! Don't care what some stat driven article says.

With my own eyes I watched him struggle for a good half a season on all aspects of his game.

This season so far so good!!

Re read my post , I didn't say I thought he was the best , I said statistically he was the best rated left back in the league , yet you think he wasn't very good.   

Almost as good as my wife saying , world number 2 Andy Murray is crap at tennis

anyway, the world would be a boring place if there were no differences of opinions 

• Admin

If he keeps being statistically the best full back in the division then don't be surprised to seem him leave to the Prem as next Summer's marquee sale. It seems to be our new business model, subsidise expenditure with a high value sale.

Can't really argue with it so far as overall the squad appears to be getting better and hopefully next season Lloyd Kelly will be ready to come in as his direct replacement. 

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

When you are picked as a full back in a team that was in the bottom three for a long while last season I suggest that defending was part of the reason he was picked as a left back?

To be honest he wasn't effective enough going forward either last season to justify his pick in the team.

I must say so far this season he's improved in every area I thought he lacked a bit last season. 

And for me personally I enjoy seeing joe in the team as a local lad especially as he's a backwell boy! 

I would politely suggest that if defending was all that playing left back at Bristol City was about as you implied Joe Bryan would not be picked.

Joe Bryan at times, not the use of times was excellent going forward, amongst performances that were also good, mediocre, sub standard last season. His performance level fully justified selection due to the inability of others particularly at left back to offer more offensively because the role is no longer about defending foremost.

33 minutes ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

Re read my post , I didn't say I thought he was the best , I said statistically he was the best rated left back in the league , yet you think he wasn't very good.   

Almost as good as my wife saying , world number 2 Andy Murray is crap at tennis

anyway, the world would be a boring place if there were no differences of opinions 

I agree with your wife !!

9 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I would politely suggest that if defending was all that playing left back at Bristol City was about as you implied Joe Bryan would not be picked.

Joe Bryan at times, not the use of times was excellent going forward, amongst performances that were also good, mediocre, sub standard last season. His performance level fully justified selection due to the inability of others particularly at left back to offer more offensively because the role is no longer about defending foremost.

I still think the best thing that could have happened last season to joe Bryan would have been to have had a spell out of the team to come back stronger?

Also he shouldn't have played just because others playing in his position weren't in great form either in your opinion. 

Need to make it clear I'm not bashing joe as thought he was one of the top players under SC in promtion season and just wanted him to kick on again. Looks like this season could be that season. I hope so as a on form joe Bryan would make any team in our league!!

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

The majority of managers whose team played against Bryan rated him highly and he's a coveted LB by other clubs but you think he's struggled............:facepalm:

Not a good reflection on your ability to judge a player....

If Maguire can go for £17.5m then Bryan must be worth £10m at least.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The majority of managers whose team played against Bryan rated him highly and he's a coveted LB by other clubs but you think he's struggled............:facepalm:

I was judging joe Bryan on the second half of last season not this season.

You are comparing maguire who is a centre back to joe Bryan who is a left back?

Ive never brought value into the debate . I have no doubt if he continues to play like he has at the start of this season he will be wanted by other teams.

Stats mean nothing!!

Stop hiding behind stats. 

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Brentford away last season the Brentford fans applauded Bryan when he managed to connect a pass. I'm sure at one point they were even encouraging him when the ball went out of play. Never seen anything like that.

Im with @Spoons in that you can't pay too much attention to stats. I can't see it being accurate enough. Can stats work out the difference between a successful pass being made to a player in space or a successful pass to a player who is marked tightly by the oppostion.

50 minutes ago, Ian M said:

If he keeps being statistically the best full back in the division then don't be surprised to seem him leave to the Prem as next Summer's marquee sale. It seems to be our new business model, subsidise expenditure with a high value sale.

Can't really argue with it so far as overall the squad appears to be getting better and hopefully next season Lloyd Kelly will be ready to come in as his direct replacement. 

Indeed, although if Lloyd Kelly continues to improve at the same rate, with both City and England, he might be our marquee sale.

8 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Brentford away last season the Brentford fans applauded Bryan when he managed to connect a pass. I'm sure at one point they were even encouraging him when the ball went out of play. Never seen anything like that.

Didn't happen

18 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I still think the best thing that could have happened last season to joe Bryan would have been to have had a spell out of the team to come back stronger?

Also he shouldn't have played just because others playing in his position weren't in great form either in your opinion

Need to make it clear I'm not bashing joe as thought he was one of the top players under SC in promtion season and just wanted him to kick on again. Looks like this season could be that season. I hope so as a on form joe Bryan would make any team in our league!!

I posted Joe Bryan justified his position due to the inability of others, not form. A offensive ability not a defensive one. He is coveted and rated due to that ability.

Leaving him out of the team last season would not have been justified because he frequently made significant contributions going forward in a team that at times was a shambles. 

Joe Bryan did not cease being top talented once Steve Cotterill left. He destroyed Luke Ayling at Leeds last season.

His defensive deficiencies were exposed by the teams own defensive deficiencies and constant change. More stable tactics and his defensive deficiencies are being better Managed ... No coincidence.

22 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Can stats work out the difference between a successful pass being made to a player in space or a successful pass to a player who is marked tightly by the oppostion.

If you want a performance analytical model to do that yes.

2 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Im with @Spoons in that you can't pay too much attention to stats. I can't see it being accurate enough. Can stats work out the difference between a successful pass being made to a player in space or a successful pass to a player who is marked tightly by the oppostion.

He was bloody dire at Brentford last season, couldn't believe how poor he was.

7 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I've not seen the stats. I m pointing out that pretty much every manager whose team faces Bryan rate him highly.

I pay more attention to the opinion of professional managers than your average football fan.

9 hours ago, Ian M said:

I think if that happens - sell a youth product to the Prem for big bucks, and replace him with another youth product, maybe one with even more potential - then the board etc would be delighted. That would be the perfect example of our player dealing model in action. We'd be like a mini-Monaco :P

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I've not seen the stats. I m pointing out that pretty much every manager whose team faces Bryan rate him highly.

I pay more attention to the opinion of professional managers than your average football fan.

Really? Could you provide a list of the names of managers that have singled out Bryan for praise? Links would be useful too. Thanks in advance.

Interestingly, Lineker called Rooney a players' player earlier this week - in that ex-players and managers all believe he is one of the best players around still and has to be on the team sheet, yet fans seem to think they know better and don't like to rate him. Same can be said for some other players, most recent one being Jonny Evans - Fergie played him, Mourinho wanted to keep him and apparently Pep Guardiola and Wenger want him. Yet so many football fans can't see anything good in him. Anyway, I digress.

My point was, JB strikes me as this sort of player. Now I myself am guilty of having days where I think, "Why is he still being played at LB?" but more often than not he's solid, and people forget he's still very young. He's been around so long that it seems he should be a well matured, cultured player, but he still has his best years above him. Bobby Reid too, as this season and slight shift in what is being asked of him proving that.

Interestingly enough, I feel we have a few more of those 'players' players', the most obvious in my mind being Marlon Pack. I know I'm not on my own in rating the bloke highly, always have. But I know that those of us that do are often in the minority - or have been for some time. A class act who, because he may not score or assist a great deal, and often does the small linking bits between back 3/4/5 and the attacking players on the pitch, he is often overlooked. But again, I've digressed.

JB. Top LB, who still has time for improvement. The fact that he's been around so long and still making the odd mistake makes people forget how much he has to offer and can still improve. Look at Ayling. A lot of people rated him, but nothing to the extent he is playing at now. If JB went, he could become one of the best LBs outside, or even at the lower echelons, of the Prem. And recognisably so, not just by the statistics.

Archived