IGNORED

Big Match Re-Visited - Arse V City 1976

Show Me The Money!

Just spotted on my BT TV guide that they have a Big Match Re-visited series on BT Sport 2. This Friday at 8.30am they are showing the episode from 22nd August 1976 when City made their big entrance into the top flight at Highbury.

So set to record if your interested

Admittedly you'll also get to see Tranmere Vs Chester

I'm glad to see this back on TV!

Never seen that game- aside from some brief youtube highlights, hopefully this will be more extended.

I remember the Big Match Revisited Series on ITV4, looked quite good. Only saw us on it once though and more generally, only showed 78-79 Xmas onwards and part- last third of season maybe- of 82-83.

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Remember Cheesely, Richie and Whitehead particularly having stonking games, though the whole team played a blinder.  Watched it on motd and was so proud that we were in the big time at last.  Motty comentated I think.

it was the big match..............not match of the day and brian moore was the commentator...

41 minutes ago, headhunter said:

I'm sure it was Big Match not MOTD and Brian Moore was the commentator. He was a Gills fan  IIRC and I think their fanzine was called Brian Moore's head looks like the London Planetarium!!

It was the Big Match. At one stage Brian Moore, I'm sure, became chairman of Gillingham and he offered Alan Dicks the job as their manager after he left City, which Dicks turned down iirc.

My first away game was that Arsenal game.

My uncle lived in Islington so my dad took little me to London for the weekend and we went to the game with my uncle. Stood on the north bank and went mental (I was only 8) when city scored. I thought they were all city fans although we had 1000's there!

Great memories of a blistering hot summer and the finest City side I will ever see.

Thanks dad. 

Hi all. 

This will be my first post on this site so ..... please, be  gentle with me.  I, too, was at this inaugural City First Division match at Highbury in 1976, having been a very impoverished Bristol City supporting student at London Uni at the time.  It has always held fabulous memories for me as being a stand-out game, full of hopes, dreams and unexpected drama.  I don't recall much of the aftermath as revelry, drink and euphoria all too rapidly took hold.  The reality of those three seasons in the top flight still help me believe that we can get there again - and maybe this collection of players can emulate the achievements of Alan Dicks, Gerry Gow, Paul Cheeseley, Garland and the rest of those 1970s heroes.  Anyway, the main reason for writing this is to ask whether any member of this forum could record this  Big Match program and somehow (I'm not a techie) post a link to it after the fact, so that I can watch it (re-live the dream, if you wish).  Any help would be appreciated.   Cheers.    CITD    Onwards and Upwards. 

15 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

If I remember Spurs didn't make the same mistake that season?

Wasn't 76-77 the season Spurs got relegated? Thrashed the Gas 8-2 in Div 2, got promoted, then bought Ardiles & Villa after the 78 World Cup.

And after the Bristol Post suggesting last week that we lost the game against Arsenal, perhaps one of their staff might want to tune in to learn the result.... Only 41 years late!

8 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Wasn't 76-77 the season Spurs got relegated? Thrashed the Gas 8-2 in Div 2, got promoted, then bought Ardiles & Villa after the 78 World Cup.

And after the Bristol Post suggesting last week that we lost the game against Arsenal, perhaps one of their staff might want to tune in to learn the result.... Only 41 years late!

they thrashed the nag worriers 9-0..............get it right

9 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

October '77, 9-0. It was on MOTD. 40th anniversary coming up. 

Archived