IGNORED

trainer prior to Buster Footman...?

WhistleHappy

Been trying to remember the popular magic sponge man we had at City before the legend that was Buster Footman came along... approx. years that they were our trainers would be interesting too.. (I'm thinking 1960's onwards.. ) wracking my brain trying to remember our old bucket and sponge man.

Anyone remember?

So here's a thing, I'm certain I remember going to Les Bardsley's testimonial at the Gate, which I thought was against Moscow Dynamo. But just googled it and can't find anything. Surely everything that's ever happened is on Google right?

So did I just imagine the above unlikely match? Please someone tell me it did actually take place? 

45 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Les Bardsley back in the Alan Dicks era. 

Thank you yes!!

Was sat in Lansdown tonight chatting to a fella and couldn't recall Les's name, the other fella seemed convinced that Buster had been a fixture forever and a day probably going way back to the early sixties... I knew 100% he was wrong but just couldn't remember the name..... deffo another legend though even if slightly eclipsed by the wonderful Buster's fame..

The sight of the ice bucket and magic sponge wielding Les jogging through the old mid winter Ashton Gate mud puddles and sand to the aid of a stricken player was something to behold, and the witchdoctoring cures he and his magic sponge plus a smear of horse linement performed in minutes were miraculous, Les duly jogging back to the dugout area to rapturous cheers of admiration. 

That's how I recall it anyway..  Les Beardsley, how could I have forgot?  :) 

7 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Les Bardsley back in the Alan Dicks era. 

Les had an unusual running style. He ran like a duck with two broken legs when he came onto the pitch with his magic sponge 

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

We had a girl for a short while, wasn't it Jill somebody ?

I'm sure that when we played in a cup final (LDV, Frieght Rover etc) she had the name of a sponsor written on the bum area of her tracksuit. The logic was if someone was injured, and she ran onto the pitch,  she would have to bend over and the TV cameras would zoom in! Rather sexist and I'm sure it wouldn't happen now

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I'm sure that when we played in a cup final (LDV, Frieght Rover etc) she had the name of a sponsor written on the bum area of her tracksuit. The logic was if someone was injured, and she ran onto the pitch,  she would have to bend over and the TV cameras would zoom in! Rather sexist and I'm sure it wouldn't happen now

Just for proof , here is the lovely Jill on Weston beach .

That's Tomlin in the background.

IMG_0016.JPG

9 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Les had a place up on the Wells Road, might be run by his son now? He treated my mother after she had a stroke. Told my dad a few stories about ex players.

I went to Luckwell school with a son of his, Christopher.  Is that the son you refer to?

11 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Les had an unusual running style. He ran like a duck with two broken legs when he came onto the pitch with his magic sponge 

I was going to say he was a bit bow-legged, but now realise I was probably being too kind. He still got a big cheer once he reached the injured player - particularly if he was in a race with the opposition physio. 

Archived