IGNORED

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Bristol Rob

Reading various stories today (including on the BBC) that he has turned down 180k a week to stay with Arsenal and 200k a week to sign for Chelsea.

Instead opting for Liverpool for 'just' 120k per week.

A sign of a player who wants to play and be at a club where he thinks he'll have a better chance of developing his career or is it now a case that players have so much money another 80k a week makes zero difference to them?

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Reading various stories today (including on the BBC) that he has turned down 180k a week to stay with Arsenal and 200k a week to sign for Chelsea.

Instead opting for Liverpool for 'just' 120k per week.

A sign of a player who wants to play and be at a club where he thinks he'll have a better chance of developing his career or is it now a case that players have so much money another 80k a week makes zero difference to them?

I was impressed when I saw that his main reasoning was that he thought Chelsea would play him as a wing back, where as he would play centrally for Liverpool. A player thinking about more than money when making a career move is refreshing.

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I'd empty the bins for the 80k/week that he's turning down!

Cant believe someone is willing to pay 40m for him. Such a bang average player.

Agreed but when good Championship players are £15-£20m I suppose it's par for the course. He's average on a world scale but he's been good enough to get into a consistently top four side. 

It's a ridiculous sum but it's in line with the market. 

The fee is very large considering he's in the last year of his contract, however fair play to him on a personal level for turning down extra money for holding out for what he wanted, a lot of players would have taken the extra 80k and just played out of position. 

31 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I was impressed when I saw that his main reasoning was that he thought Chelsea would play him as a wing back, where as he would play centrally for Liverpool. A player thinking about more than money when making a career move is refreshing.

Just me being cynical but maybe he's getting paid the other £80k by a different means. If not, then fair play to the lad.

37 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I still can't figure out why he is worth £40million, is this a fair price in the current market?

That's the number that came out of Lee's Tombola (he's patented it and sold it to a lot of clubs), as that's the only answer I can give for some of these stupid amounts players are going for lately.

15 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Just me being cynical but maybe he's getting paid the other £80k by a different means. If not, then fair play to the lad.

Signing on fee? Appearance fees? Wouldn't surprise me.

2 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

He's got all the qualities to be the best right wing back in the prem.

World cup year, don't think he wants to be competing with Walker, Clyne, Tripper for a right back spot, clever of him if he'll get played in the middle at Liverpool as England's central options aren't strong. 

9 minutes ago, Taz said:
26 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Signing on fee? Appearance fees? Wouldn't surprise me.

he would have got all that in the other deals as well. 

30 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

He's got all the qualities to be the best right wing back in the prem.

Agree mate, always rated the Ox and fair play to him for choosing opportunity over the cash. He wants consistent first team football, which sadly isnt guaranteed at Arsenal.

Don't get me wrong, the money is still obscene anyways, but to turn down 200k a week so he can join Liverpool and play more regularly is a good thing in my books.

6 minutes ago, hodge said:

World cup year, don't think he wants to be competing with Walker, Clyne, Tripper for a right back spot, clever of him if he'll get played in the middle at Liverpool as England's central options aren't strong. 

If we're playing with wingbacks he's the clear choice for me. Although centrally the jury is still out.

3 hours ago, Murraysrightplum said:

No one really knows how good he is do they? Rarely played by Wenger and offer out of his favourite position. Could be a very good signing especially given the coutinho money. Ox will probably get more goals than coutinho does

quite. When ive seen him its been as an impact player out on the wide.. but he sees himself central? Remains to be seen i suppose. Pool looking strong up top.

Archived