IGNORED

Steve Cotterell

Redmycolour

22 hours ago, Psychopomp said:

SC saved the club from a second relegation in his first few months and then took the club onto our only league win in 60 years, with a record 99 points , won the Football league trophy and the LMA manager of the season. The rather hilarious assertion he spent crazy money in some way to deflect any credit seems to forget he had to sell his main striker  Baldock for £2M with the season underway . I have seen a number great City sides but I have never seen one with the collective will and belief of that group players, they just pushed past teams, even if they were under pressure, they pulled together in a way I have never seen. The football was wonderful, fast paced and exciting. 

It went wrong, and it went wrong for reasons often discussed on here, with some behind the scenes issues and a lack of clarity about who said what and where. However, it was quite clear that SC felt that with a few high quality additions, that squad was capable of a springboard of a double promotion. Others had done it. But it needed quality. Grey or Gayle, McGuire and an un named central midfield player. It did not happen, the club did not sign the targets identified ( you cannot discount the quality) and the battle plan fell apart amid off the field recriminations, blame and loss of faith between SC and club and vice versa.  

SC was very impressive. This from someone who finds him impossibly arrogant, was surprised at his appointment, and felt he had lost the plot when he was fired. But I cannot rewrite a selective history, what he did in such a short space of time with relative means will remain forever. 

It is what I am sure Huddersfield fans think of Wagner and Brighton fans of Houghton. There are occasions when the right manager, right experience, right support can achieve notable success . 

Did SC reach his level, no, probably not, but the club collectively totally wasted all the momentum , good feeling and impetus of an exceptional performance. That was the time SL really did miss a chance to invest in a few good players of the right type, and as the named three have shown, they all did their job, and increased their value. 

Why is SC not working? he maybe does not need to right now, maybe waiting for the right project again I cannot think for one moment he would be looking at Northampton town . 

:clap:

23 hours ago, Psychopomp said:

SC saved the club from a second relegation in his first few months and then took the club onto our only league win in 60 years, with a record 99 points , won the Football league trophy and the LMA manager of the season. The rather hilarious assertion he spent crazy money in some way to deflect any credit seems to forget he had to sell his main striker  Baldock for £2M with the season underway . I have seen a number great City sides but I have never seen one with the collective will and belief of that group players, they just pushed past teams, even if they were under pressure, they pulled together in a way I have never seen. The football was wonderful, fast paced and exciting. 

It went wrong, and it went wrong for reasons often discussed on here, with some behind the scenes issues and a lack of clarity about who said what and where. However, it was quite clear that SC felt that with a few high quality additions, that squad was capable of a springboard of a double promotion. Others had done it. But it needed quality. Grey or Gayle, McGuire and an un named central midfield player. It did not happen, the club did not sign the targets identified ( you cannot discount the quality) and the battle plan fell apart amid off the field recriminations, blame and loss of faith between SC and club and vice versa.  

SC was very impressive. This from someone who finds him impossibly arrogant, was surprised at his appointment, and felt he had lost the plot when he was fired. But I cannot rewrite a selective history, what he did in such a short space of time with relative means will remain forever. 

It is what I am sure Huddersfield fans think of Wagner and Brighton fans of Houghton. There are occasions when the right manager, right experience, right support can achieve notable success . 

Did SC reach his level, no, probably not, but the club collectively totally wasted all the momentum , good feeling and impetus of an exceptional performance. That was the time SL really did miss a chance to invest in a few good players of the right type, and as the named three have shown, they all did their job, and increased their value. 

Why is SC not working? he maybe does not need to right now, maybe waiting for the right project again I cannot think for one moment he would be looking at Northampton town . 

Excellent post.

On ‎06‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 22:16, Nogbad the Bad said:

Interesting. What do the club expect this season?

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 07:44, Psychopomp said:

I do not know. It was specific to that season and before it started. 

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 08:34, NickJ said:

Judging by what was acceptable from the manager last season, I would imagine the bar has been set quite low.

SL stated on Radio Bristol on the opening day that he expected progress from last season and for us not to be in a relegation fight basically. Sort of comfortable midtable was the impression I got and he said "anything higher would be a bonus".

Archived