IGNORED

Steve Cotterell

Redmycolour

back to the top managers. ok, i realize he had his faults, but the dennis smith era saw us play some immensely enjoyable football. That frontline of Jacki, Leroy, Cole was awesome to watch and some of the games live in the memory to this day: the demolition of cardiff, jacki's brace in stoppage time against wolves, the six goal thriller / riot against pompey, the 4-3 away at derby, etc. a real buzz watching city at times. 

11 hours ago, poland_exile said:

back to the top managers. ok, i realize he had his faults, but the dennis smith era saw us play some immensely enjoyable football. That frontline of Jacki, Leroy, Cole was awesome to watch and some of the games live in the memory to this day: the demolition of cardiff, jacki's brace in stoppage time against wolves, the six goal thriller / riot against pompey, the 4-3 away at derby, etc. a real buzz watching city at times. 

Yes but was at a pub in old market Eagle tavern when he first came to us he said im signing a centre half from Millwall Thomson he said we wont need a goalkeeper hes that good  biggest load of crap centre half wise weve ever seen

I didnt find GJ's football exciting at all. Maybe a few were blinkered with the fact we were getting 1-0 wins at the time in 07/08. Not saying he didnt do well with that team.

However, he was the start of 6 years of utter crap from City, poor negative football with average journeymen players, so yes I blame him largely for our slow demise back to L1 at the time. Unpopular opinion for City fans, but GJ was overrated, he is a lower league version of Harry Redknapp, has no long term plan.

Danny Wilson we played excellent football and was a mere opposite to GJ, simply couldnt get the job done. One thing he did which GJ didnt was actually give our youngsters a chance as well. Terrific football was played it must be said.

Stevie Cotterill was a mix of both of them I'd say, was far better than both in my opinion. 

10 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

Danny Wilson we played excellent football and was a mere opposite to GJ, simply couldnt get the job done. One thing he did which GJ didnt was actually give our youngsters a chance as well. Terrific football was played it must be said.

Apart from Lita in the play off final of course. I'll get over that match one day!

10 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

I didnt find GJ's football exciting at all. Maybe a few were blinkered with the fact we were getting 1-0 wins at the time in 07/08. Not saying he didnt do well with that team.

However, he was the start of 6 years of utter crap from City, poor negative football with average journeymen players, so yes I blame him largely for our slow demise back to L1 at the time. Unpopular opinion for City fans, but GJ was overrated, he is a lower league version of Harry Redknapp, has no long term plan.

Stevie Cotterill was a mix of both of them I'd say, was far better than both in my opinion. 

Danny Wilson spent a fortune - how much would the equivalent of the £600k for Peacock alone be in today's prices? - and failed. GJ got promoted on a shoestring, Wilson having refused to accept the budget cuts that were a consequence of his failure.

As to those young players, the absence of a disciplined, professional culture during that regime played its part in most of them failing to achieve their potential. The likes of Doherty and Coles should have had much better careers and might have done in the right environment, though the ultimate responsibility was theirs of course.

It's curious too how many people have forgotten the kudos we got from the media for the football we played in the play off season.

We have a pretty mediocre history admittedly but by any objective measure GJ was one of our best ever managers.

36 minutes ago, john from high littleton said:

Not that I'm aware of. Makes a a good TV pundit though! 

Regarding his transfer targets, please remind me what they were? 

Andre Gray, just sold on for £18 million, Dwight Gayle, now a Premier League striker,  Harry Maguire, now a Premier league defender,, sold by Hull for £15 million. 

Players ive absolutely no doubt that would have taken us to the next level. Bit like Engvill has!!

Also, I agree, he's a very good tv pundit, he knows exactly what's he's talking about....................

35 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Andre Gray, just sold on for £18 million, Dwight Gayle, now a Premier League striker,  Harry Maguire, now a Premier league defender,, sold by Hull for £15 million. 

Players ive absolutely no doubt that would have taken us to the next level. Bit like Engvill has!!

Also, I agree, he's a very good tv pundit, he knows exactly what's he's talking about....................

The question I have which I don't know the answer to - would they have actually joined?

All 3 players had rising stock at the time, perhaps their agents were hoping for us to be beaten by a bigger club. Most of us know the rumours about the board interfering, but does anyone know how 'nailed on' these guys were beforehand?

43 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I remember a fair few on here didn't fancy maguire saying he had a turning circle of a ship.

2 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

well said Bill pity he didnt have the money to spend that the dwarf has had i think it would be spent on players in the team not splinters on the Bench

3 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

Dicks

Cooper

Jordan

G Johnson

Cotterill

Definitely that 5 and definitely AD at the very top, but personally I'd put GJ second, Cooper third, Cotterill fourth and big Joe fifth..

This is on the basis that GJ took us further than anyone but Dicks, Cooper did a wonderful job in rescuing us and Cotts' achievements in winning a title were better than 89/90, much though that era under JJ will always have a big place in my heart.

All subjective to some extent, though...

3 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Gray and Gayle both turned us down. Offering £9m and £6m respectively doesn't look like failing to back the manager to me. They were just unrealistic targets who were bound to have better options.

1 hour ago, cheshire_red said:

Purely due to Jordan not having the backing GJ and SC had

At League 1 level SC had a lot more to spend than GJ. As to JJ, the club seemed positively glad to see him go because he was too ambitious. No way he would have sold Bob Taylor on the cheap, or indeed at all, imo.

1 hour ago, cheshire_red said:

Purely due to Jordan not having the backing GJ and SC had

In the League One promotion season he was given pretty big money to sign Dave Rennie, Dave Smith, Super Bob as well as (more cheaply) to bring in Shelton, Gavin and a few others.

I'd be surprised if in compatible terms it was all that much less than Cotterill spent.

4 hours ago, chinapig said:

Gray and Gayle both turned us down. Offering £9m and £6m respectively doesn't look like failing to back the manager to me. They were just unrealistic targets who were bound to have better options.

They did not turn us down until there agents got down to talks with us,then according to my source it turned into a farce on our side.S.C gave city a list of who he wanted and it soon showed he was not going to be given any mayor backing hence he knew something was not right and from then it went pears

8 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Can't understand why we didn't bid for Andrew Gray? 

Yes I can understand why he hasn't been offered a job by some high flyers yet! 

Yes definitely great on the TV, always talked the talk even if he couldn't walk the walk :laugh:! 

1 hour ago, Mtimmy11 said:

They did not turn us down until there agents got down to talks with us,then according to my source it turned into a farce on our side.S.C gave city a list of who he wanted and it soon showed he was not going to be given any mayor backing hence he knew something was not right and from then it went pears

It would be interesting to know who the agent/s were, if it were to turn out that a manager made themselves an agent to get some of the agent fee and used this to fund a shadow team outside control of a football club and people at the club found out about it this would probably be a good reason that funding would dry up pretty quickly.

All hypothetical obviously.

9 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The question I have which I don't know the answer to - would they have actually joined?

All 3 players had rising stock at the time, perhaps their agents were hoping for us to be beaten by a bigger club. Most of us know the rumours about the board interfering, but does anyone know how 'nailed on' these guys were beforehand?

Gray and Maguire were agreed. Transfer fee and wages. 

Archived