IGNORED

Flinty and Maggs

cityred exile

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Prove it

I don't need to monkeh, it's bloody obvious.

Or you reckon we'd have given the job to an insignificant and totally unproven 3rd division manager who'd recently taken his club on a record breaking losing run if he wasn't personally known to the board through his playing days at AG?

Don't be ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Well, he certainly wouldn't be City's head coach if he hadn't played for us, would he? :dunno:

We are not his first club, probably won't be his last. However, I agree that it is unlikely he'd be here if he hadn't played here. It happens, football is fickle. Was Shearer the right and most experienced man for the Newcastle job a while back, no, if Rafa walks, is his name likely to be linked again, yes, would they be crazy to appoint him, yes.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Apparently the Championship spent less this window than last Summer, but they are putting that down to Newcastle spending big back then and of course are no longer a Championship side. 

I would guess that Wolves spent more in this window than Newcastle did last year

Anyway, back to the topic. I think the club handled the Flint situation well, we should set the value of our players on long contracts value in this highly inflated market. The Hörður move was last minute and a bit left field, we don't know enough about the terms of the deal, why it broke down or who was to be blame for it not going through, it sounds as though we could've acted quicker or knew more about the various European window closing times, potentially our blunder. Not excusing the club, but why not have the closing time euro-wide? How come Spanish clubs can still sign today? Why are Scotland and England different?

I reckon the club, the management and most fans would've been happy and wished either player well if any acceptable offer and terms were received, they were not, or at least not in time. It is now a problem the management team have to deal with, fortunately the players involved seem like good lads and are unlikely to cause dressing room upset unlike certain former players if things aren't going their way.

1 hour ago, Bobbie said:

Tony Pulis is the only manager I've ever really disliked. I think Lee is a young inexpereinced English manager who is giving his all, learning fast and deserves our backing. Personally, I'm proud the club stood bye him when many others would not have. Rome wasn't built in a day. 

Neither will City be built into a bigger club, maybe in the Premier in a day or even one season.

But it only takes three or four months to see us well and truly on our way out of this league. In the end, only a great away win at Brighton kept us up last season.

Yes LJ is learning but can you honestly say that you feel totally comfortable that we will not replicate last season's dire form? Brentford and Millwall this season already?

He's learning from his and his coaches mistakes when an older more experienced head in the coaching staff could be just the thing we need to help all three of them learn a bit quicker.

This is the toughest league of all five at the top of our pyramid system. And I would even bet money that it's the hardest second tier league anywhere in the world. Almost every other second tier in Europe contains big club's "B" teams and only have 16 or 18 teams so well under 40 games per season. Two games a week, endlessly it seems at times, and the quality of all the other clubs means it a merciless league with no hiding place.

I'm still to be convinced that our Head Coach will prove to be good enough at this level. I support City and always will but that doesn't mean we all have to blindly adore any of the coaching and playing staff and ignore their failings. They are all here today and gone tomorrow. But we all continue year in, year out.

LJ is what he is, a young man learning on the job.  Did he over bullshit to hide his inexperience? Yes.  Has he toned it down? I believe so.  Did he over complicate tactics and team selection last year? Yes.  Did he dig us out of the hole he got us in? Yes

This is a disagreement that will run and run, but the club having invested a lot of time and money in LJ would be foolish to pull the plug on him anytime soon.

The.squad looks well balanced and for my part I'm happy to be patient to see how he progresses.

5 hours ago, RedM said:

@brizzlelou It was just something I heard on BBC Radio 5 Live earlier, I haven't researched it as such, you could well be right.

Actually, I suspect you probably are right.

@brizzlelou was actually saying 'that Newcastle didn't even spend anything since LAST summer.' I interpret that as they did, indeed,  spend a lot last summer (Gayle etc.), but have spent nothing since - hence the reason Rafa is so disappointed, especially having received more false promises from Ashley.

7 hours ago, Bobbie said:

Tony Pulis is the only manager I've ever really disliked. I think Lee is a young inexpereinced English manager who is giving his all, learning fast and deserves our backing. Personally, I'm proud the club stood bye him when many others would not have. Rome wasn't built in a day. 

With you on pulis but hasn't turned out to be a bad manager tbf to the Welsh gas****. How long did Rome take to build out of interest?

So you would drop Wright or Baker who are both playing well for a player who started well last season but got steadily worse?

What he does for Iceland is less relevant than how he performs for us compared to the players he is in competition with. That's why he is third or fourth choice.

His time may come but there are no grounds for picking him now.

On 01/09/2017 at 11:24, harrys said:

I would guess that Wolves spent more in this window than Newcastle did last year

Wolves spent big on one player. Think 20m overall unless I'm forgetting someone. A lot of loans and free transfers. Their wage bill must be high though. Newcastle spent more on Gayle and Ritchie alone. Though they offset it with sales quite a bit more than Wolves have 

On 9/1/2017 at 05:02, Nogbad the Bad said:

Well, he certainly wouldn't be City's head coach if he hadn't played for us, would he? :dunno:

Obviously

On 9/1/2017 at 05:04, Monkeh said:

Prove it

:laugh:

On 9/1/2017 at 05:09, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't need to monkeh, it's bloody obvious.

Or you reckon we'd have given the job to an insignificant and totally unproven 3rd division manager who'd recently taken his club on a record breaking losing run if he wasn't personally known to the board through his playing days at AG?

Don't be ridiculous.

Explanation...The thought one was required to the blatantly obvious is astounding!

:noexp:

18 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

HM is a left back so why would Wright or Baker have to be dropped?

Because we signed him to play centre back, which was where he was playing in Italy.

You are presumably suggesting Bryan should be dropped in his favour however. Again I don't see any grounds for that, especially as Mags is not an attacking full back.

On 01/09/2017 at 09:55, zombie said:

Thanks for speaking for the crowd. Although I think you go to a different Ashton Gate to me, none of the many people I know down there, speak to or sit near seem to dislike Lee as much as you and a few of your buddies, maybe Lee isn't universally popular yet, but I get the feeling most people have or are warming to him and his ideas. Genuine question, are you one of the 'boycotters'? I ask as you talk as though you've not seen us play this season.

In August we scored 15 goals (hardly "not enough goals") and played some good attacking football btw, maybe if you spend less time having a go at the management and come and watch you'd see for yourself.

One more thing, what has Lee's playing career got to do with anything? Personally I would've been delighted if I was "not much of player" playing in the Championship, including a play-off final at Wembley.

It wasn't a serious point - I thought this was obvious; the comparison is stretching it a bit - but never mind. 

No, I've never been a boycotter, I did not join the call to boycott last season, I have watched this club in all four divisions. And this season. I have seen much, much worse. I just remember the last bloke that said "Europe in 5 years" and would prefer we talk ourselves up once we have achieved something - if we must do so - not when we have just avoided relegation, and have it all to do. I do like to throw my toys out of the pram when we are rubbish, it's satisfyingly cathartic (for a while) and think that those that are different and more level-headed can avoid this forum or use the ignore facility on here (but interestingly, often choose not to). I do see how the unrelenting negativity is tiresome for those more sanguine.

But please, put me on ignore! Either that or "maybe" lighten up a little?

16 hours ago, Bullbag said:

Watching the Iceland game, and Magnússon has been class.

Just made one last ditch tackle to deny a certain goal.

How the hell he isn't in our starting eleven is quite laughable.

Mind you, LJ is head coach, that'll be why. :facepalm:

Maybe if we played Finland every week he'd get a few more games?

Archived