IGNORED

Three transfer windows later

Jerseybean

When he arrived LJ explained it would take three transfer windows for him to establish what he wanted, so how do people feel today about what's been achieved?

Personally I think we have a stronger first team squad, with good options and competition  for places and a very positive and forward-thinking approach to the development squad. It is of course always a matter of work in progress, but overall I am pleased with what has been achieved and recognise that it's been done in a sensible and substainable way.

Just off to find my tin hat.

9 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Centre mid is the biggest cause for concern given that we have the same two starting there as we did when he took over.

Jury is still out on the strikers.

Defence is as strong as it was back in the Shaun Taylor/ Louis Carey days so happy with that.

Problem with the strikers is who's gone as much as who's arrived! We've had and lost Kodjia and Abraham during those three windows - a striking pair most teams would struggle to replace.

Agree about CM: GON has arrived of course, and on their day all three are solid, but those days are too unpredictable, and two of the three seem to have long running susceptibility to injury. And agree the defence is looking good now, having been a weakness for several years. 

Josh Brownhill 

Adam Matthews 

Gary O'Neil 

Lee Tomin 

Diego De Girolamo 

Hörður Magnússon 

Callum O'Dowda 

Ivan Lucic 

Taylor Moore

Jamie Paterson 

Tammy Abraham 

Gustav Engvall 

Joel Ekstrand 

Milan Đurić 

Jens Hegeler 

Fabian Giefer

Bailey Wright 

Matty Taylor 

David Cotterill

Freddie Hinds 

Famara Diedhiou 

Eros Pisano 

Nathan Baker 

Niclas Eliasson

Cauley Woodrow 

Jonathan Leko 

Luke Steele 

Excluding many of u23 signings that haven't featured. 

I think the quote was along the lines of "after three windows you'll see what a Lee Johnson side looks like" (or words to that effect, acknowledging it'd now be his team - whether signed or retained from prior regimes).

So, for me, three windows in what do I see a Lee Johnson side is?

At it's best, it's young, full of movement, high press and quick passing. We've seen that this season.

At it's worse, it's bullied and out thought with a lack of physicality for an out ball to be held up, inviting pressure. Seen that too.

After three windows I think I see what the plan is and when it works, it's a style I like. There could be improvement on some personnel, but after three windows I'd say I like the intent of what a Lee Johnson squad should be, and see progress towards a side playing the way he wants

17 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think the quote was along the lines of "after three windows you'll see what a Lee Johnson side looks like" (or words to that effect, acknowledging it'd now be his team - whether signed or retained from prior regimes).

So, for me, three windows in what do I see a Lee Johnson side is?

At it's best, it's young, full of movement, high press and quick passing. We've seen that this season.

At it's worse, it's bullied and out thought with a lack of physicality for an out ball to be held up, inviting pressure. Seen that too.

After three windows I think I see what the plan is and when it works, it's a style I like. There could be improvement on some personnel, but after three windows I'd say I like the intent of what a Lee Johnson squad should be, and see progress towards a side playing the way he wants

He definitely has brought in the players to play the way he said he would.

As you say...it's full of movement, quick interlinking passing, high pressing and faster tempo, people who can now take on a player, dribble and players that can cross.

We can play with width or narrow. Expansive or Limit the space. We have many options. The team now excites me. It does look very offensive.

We have two decent keepers now. Fielding seems to have settled down it seems. Less erratic.

We have a plethora of decent CB's who are steady as a Rock. Baker, Wright, Magners, Flint, Hegeler....all have their certain attributes and strengths.

Our Fullbacks almost play like wingbacks. They give width and can all cross a ball. Pisano, Bryan, Vyner, Kelly...all have been impressive, especially going forward.

Pack in the CM gives some calmness, pick a pass and has a great eye. What he lacks in speed, he makes up for with his positioning and distribution.

We have 3 'wasps' to choose from, that can buzz about, and break down play and intercept. Smith, Oneil and Brownhill.

Some fantastic young players to play wide midfield and give lots of energy, options, movement and high pressing. Thay can all score goals and feed off the other players.

Leko, Eliasson, Patterson, Odowda...lots of energy in that lot.

Two 'Big men' in the middle to choose from....Diedieu holds the ball well, and bullies defenders. Đurić the same and good with his head. Both link well and give time. Woodrow offers a bit of both by the look of it.

Then you have Reid and Taylor who link up between the forwards and midfield and can score, link play and feed off balls into and around the box.

I can see a lot of balls being whipped into the box, and players really attacking that 18 yard box.

Then you have the lads out on loan that can come back and hopefully give extra competition.

My only concern is a lack of a CDM player who's a leader and boss, who can grab a game by the scruff of the neck, and out bully the opposition CM when needed.

Pack needs competition as well.

The team looks a lot more balanced imo.

Hopefully we are going to see some exciting football this season.

35 minutes ago, Super said:

Time to see sime results. He has been backed enough no excuses.

Out of interest, what would you class as acceptable results in this League in the short-mid term? More specifically, this season.

Personally, I would be reasonably happy with some decent football, midtable, some good scalps- and maybe we can extend our Cup run or get one in the FA Cup.

12 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

It would be interesting to see the squad he inherited and to weigh that up against the squad He has today.

Not sure we are stronger in all departments.

I'd say we're only weaker upfront, but when we had Kodjia that was going to be hard to match at this point, we had Tammy so its not as if LJ can't bring in the quality. 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Out of interest, what would you class as acceptable results in this League in the short-mid term? More specifically, this season.

Personally, I would be reasonably happy with some decent football, midtable, some good scalps- and maybe we can extend our Cup run or get one in the FA Cup.

Not really bothered about cups but mid table finish is the least we should expect.

3 hours ago, Tuggin over Tomlin said:

Josh Brownhill 

Adam Matthews 

Gary O'Neil 

Lee Tomin 

Diego De Girolamo 

Hörður Magnússon 

Callum O'Dowda 

Ivan Lucic 

Taylor Moore

Jamie Paterson 

Tammy Abraham 

Gustav Engvall 

Joel Ekstrand 

Milan Đurić 

Jens Hegeler 

Fabian Giefer

Bailey Wright 

Matty Taylor 

David Cotterill

Freddie Hinds 

Famara Diedhiou 

Eros Pisano 

Nathan Baker 

Niclas Eliasson

Cauley Woodrow 

Jonathan Leko 

Luke Steele 

Excluding many of u23 signings that haven't featured. 

27 senior signings :blink:

3 x GK

7 x DEF

10 x MID

7 x FWD

6, mostly loans, no longer with us.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

As you say...it's full of movement, quick interlinking passing, high pressing and faster tempo, people who can now take on a player, dribble and players that can cross.

We can play with width or narrow. Expansive or Limit the space. We have many options. The team now excites me. It does look very offensive.

We have two decent keepers now. Fielding seems to have settled down it seems. Less erratic.

We have a plethora of decent CB's who are steady as a Rock. Baker, Wright, Magners, Flint, Hegeler....all have their certain attributes and strengths.

Our Fullbacks almost play like wingbacks. They give width and can all cross a ball. Pisano, Bryan, Vyner, Kelly...all have been impressive, especially going forward.

Pack in the CM gives some calmness, pick a pass and has a great eye. What he lacks in speed, he makes up for with his positioning and distribution.

We have 3 'wasps' to choose from, that can buzz about, and break down play and intercept. Smith, Oneil and Brownhill.

Some fantastic young players to play wide midfield and give lots of energy, options, movement and high pressing. Thay can all score goals and feed off the other players.

Two 'Big men' in the middle to choose from....Diedieu holds the ball well, and bullies defenders. Đurić the same and good with his head. Both link well and give time. Woodrow offers a bit of both by the look of it.

Then you have Reid and Taylor who link up between the forwards and midfield and can score, link play and feed off balls into and around the box.

I can see a lot of balls being whipped into the box, and players really attacking that 18 yard box.

Then you have the lads out on loan that can come back and hopefully give extra competition.

My only concern is a lack of a CDM player who's a leader and boss, who can grab a game by the scruff of the neck, and out bully the opposition CM when needed.

I agree with a lot of what you say. Only thing I'd add on the games I saw last season and on seeing the Villa game so far is that we need to learn to be able to keep the ball better allowing us more chance to control games. 

The Fulham home game last season sticks in my memory of a lesson in keeping possession and controlling the game. 

We need to be able to do that better and more consistently

Defensively we look as strong on paper as we have done for many many years.

Yes, it's been a high turnover of players, a lot have come in, but I think it is very important to remember that all players bought fit into different categories. Some will come straight into the first team for the long term. Some will be developed for a few years. Some were bought because they were the 'best available' at the time when a gap needed filling (i.e Golbourne), and soon become surplus to requirements. That is pretty normal in football. Expect turnover.

The core of the squad, however, is there. IMO we are getting to the point that if we can keep this core unified and together, and with a few upgrades here and there, we have a squad on paper to go do something interesting in this league.

37 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

I agree with a lot of what you say. Only thing I'd add on the games I saw last season and on seeing the Villa game so far is that we need to learn to be able to keep the ball better allowing us more chance to control games. 

The Fulham home game last season sticks in my memory of a lesson in keeping possession and controlling the game. 

We need to be able to do that better and more consistently

Hence my comments about that DCM mate ;-)

1 hour ago, Super said:

Not really bothered about cups but mid table finish is the least we should expect.

Hmm, will wait for budgets and wage bills to come out first.

Midtable is the most realistic I think, but time will tell.

@Show Me The Money! You mean Fulham at home in Feb? We played a 4-4-2 that day and that formation in terms of bossing possession and controlling the game isn't really ideal. In a way a game can be controlled or a flow of it without much possession but 4-4-2 does not help with this IMO. We were up against a team in form, near top 6 playing a fluid 4-2-3-1...that setup is always going to lose the possession, let alone the control via possession in those circs.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hmm, will wait for budgets and wage bills to come out first.

Midtable is the most realistic I think, but time will tell.

@Show Me The Money! You mean Fulham at home in Feb? We played a 4-4-2 that day and that formation in terms of bossing possession and controlling the game isn't really ideal. In a way a game can be controlled or a flow of it without much possession but 4-4-2 does not help with this IMO. We were up against a team in form, near top 6 playing a fluid 4-2-3-1...that setup is always going to lose the possession, let alone the control via possession in those circs.

That was the single most stupid thing Johnson did last season.  I remember seeing the team and being baffled and then watching the game unfold as it was obvious it was.  I hope he learned from it but worrying he did it in the first place 

Reading this thread in my view is all rather depressing, a lot of people seem to view a mid table finish as satisfactory.

Brighton went from virtual relegation to play offs then promotion as soon as they appointed Chris Hughton - look at Cardiff now flying under Warnock .

Exactly when do people think a promotion push is viable we are not some tin pot club punching above our weight,we have the fan base, stadium and infrastructure and to to accept mediocrity as it's an improvement on a relegation struggle is not acceptable as an objective.

A play off place as a minimum should be our aim

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Very positive review Spud!!  We have a squad that is capable of being mid-table no probs.  What will stop us achieving that and pushing on?  Imho, that extra bit of quality, the player who is better than the rest, who on his day does that bit extra that get you the 3 points or rescues you 1.  I'm certainly not referring to Tomlin.  I'm talking about a Cairney, a Diame, that type of player.  They cost too much nor are they realistic.  So we have to keep following our approach and hope we unearth one.

Archived