IGNORED

Obscurest City Players

ZiderEyed

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Owen was a regular and a good winger . 

Unfortunately not great at penalties !

I wouldn't think of him as ' obscure ' 

I'd totally forgotten him and his missed pen against Swindle , another at Wemberly against Mansfield . This topic brought it all flooding back!!!

24 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I think it was Shelts.

We had to score, the ball just wouldn't go in, then Gordon slid one home to bedlam late on iirc.

From memory there was more than a hint of handball by Gordon in the build up, he then slid in with the keeper and it could well have been a foul, however by that time there were fans over the hoardings by the linesman at the end we were attacking & the officials wisely saw it as a fair goal..

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

From memory there was more than a hint of handball by Gordon in the build up, he then slid in with the keeper and it could well have been a foul, however by that time there were fans over the hoardings by the linesman at the end we were attacking & the officials wisely saw it as a fair goal..

Was that the Gordon Owen penalty miss against Swindle season ?

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yes it was a slightly dodgy goal. I think the handball was when he slid in. Joe Kinnear was Doncaster's manager and when he was interviewed after the game was very unhappy about what he considered to be the "dangerous" pitch invasions.  Colin Gordon missed a penalty that game as well.

26 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I was in the enclosure towards the open end that day and the bedlam I described in my earlier post when the ball went in the net was no exaggeration.

13 minutes ago, Offside said:

Yes it was a slightly dodgy goal. I think the handball was when he slid in. Joe Kinnear was Doncaster's manager and when he was interviewed after the game was very unhappy about what he considered to be the "dangerous" pitch invasions.  Colin Gordon missed a penalty that game as well.

Remember their left back (Rufus Brevitt, who went on to have a very decent career) twice had the ball knocked out of his hand as he went to take throw ins.

Best described as an "intimidating" atmosphere, not a chance the authorities would tolerate that today..

2 hours ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Often forgotten but Tim Carter played 2 or 3 times for us in goal.

Was just about to mention Tim. Patchway lad. He actually played in the first ever match I watched at Ashton Gate back in 1987, albeit for the blue few. Played 3 games on loan with us whilst at Sunderland. Very sadly committed suicide in 2008.

Archived