IGNORED

Obscurest City Players

ZiderEyed

18 hours ago, GrahamC said:

John Palmer, who ended the first season in Division Four under Coops up front for the last few games or so.

Signed from Weston-Super-Mare and then released as soon as the season ended, he was a big guy and absolutely ******* rubbish, like a cart horse. Honestly he was far, far worse than Bas Savage.

We had loads like this around that time, Simon Panes, John Kerr, Mark Smith, Steve Thompson, Nyrere Kelly, Paul Williams, Les Carter, Ray Gooding, bloody loads of them, not even household names in their own house..

That may be so, but went on to carve out an excellent career in the gold business.

2 hours ago, Juan Kerr said:

Paul Op De Beek (no, really). Belgian who played in a pre-season friendly at Cheltenham, in 1983.

And David Tong.

2 hours ago, Juan Kerr said:

Paul Op De Beek (no, really). Belgian who played in a pre-season friendly at Cheltenham, in 1983.

And David Tong.

he played in home friendly as well scored as well .bossed the game. We all wanted him signed .the club couldn't afford the fee

58 minutes ago, pjg11 said:

he played in home friendly as well scored as well .bossed the game. We all wanted him signed .the club couldn't afford the fee

My memory fails me sometimes.....didn't realise we couldn't afford him. We were right paupers then!

I remember Clive Allen playing for us in a pre-season game at Cheltenham. Hardly obscure, but who remembers?

3 hours ago, swanker said:

Patrick Naan. Don't know how many games he played but was soon forgotten. 

3 hours ago, Juan Kerr said:

He couldn't curry favour with the boss.

I know Patrick's dad Dominic, an American, really well. Known to his family as Poppa Dom.

2 hours ago, Bristol_South_End said:

Sean Davis, loaned from Bolton:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Davis_(footballer)

Looks like after a career blighted by injuries the one he picked up on loan to us was the straw that broke the camel's back, never played again.

Totally forgot he was here. Was quite a highly rated player when he was younger at Fulham.

7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Remember their left back (Rufus Brevitt, who went on to have a very decent career) twice had the ball knocked out of his hand as he went to take throw ins.

Best described as an "intimidating" atmosphere, not a chance the authorities would tolerate that today..

They also had a sixteen year old Brian Deane making his debut I think. They`d been relegated a couple of games before and were chucking the kids in IIRC.

Archived