IGNORED

Wright or flint

bengalcub

1 hour ago, Tammys Scan said:

Might be well off but another user posted a few months ago, Flint & Wright conceded 30 something goals, in the same time period Flint & Baker conceded 50 something..

You are a bit off, there. There was very little between the number of goals per game conceded up until Wright signing, and the number per game after he slotted in alongside Flint (last season).

However, Wright plays international football and was a part of a meaner PNE defence in his 18 months there in the Championship than Flinty here. I'd be sticking with Wright and Baker.

I tend to think that when LJ is able to attract players already performing in this league to come here he is on safer ground than his punts overseas and from lower leagues, like most managers in this league I suppose; problem is, we are well down the pecking order for good Championship players.

2 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

You are a bit off, there. There was very little between the number of goals per game conceded up until Wright signing, and the number per game after he slotted in alongside Flint (last season).

However, Wright plays international football and was a part of a meaner PNE defence in his 18 months there in the Championship than Flinty here. I'd be sticking with Wright and Baker.

I tend to think that when LJ is able to attract players already performing in this league to come here he is on safer ground than his punts overseas and from lower leagues, like most managers in this league I suppose; problem is, we are well down the pecking order for good Championship players.

Worth remembering that he was playing on the left then though.

19 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

People getting all uppity and offended about LJ being called Little Lee.

Seriously weird.

I think some do use that 'Little Lee' nickname in a derogatory way.

Not quite the same as calling someone 'Big'. In the context of being a manager/leader - clearly the connotation by some is a negative one designed to undermine LJ as an authority figure.

Football is very much a squad game now. We are still in the league cup and hopefully will still be in it after the Stoke game. I am also hopeful we can have a decent FA Cup run and then there is the long league campaign. Centre halves pick up injuries, suspensions and the like so I am delighted we have Wright, Flint and Baker.

3 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Sorry but that's rubbish . Wright is the better defender by far imo . Flints decent in the air but poor on the deck and gets turned way to easily, like bamby on ice at times. Wright is better on the deck and is decent in the air considering the height difference 

I disagree. Flint is unquestionably the better defender. Bailey-Wright had one of his best games in a City shirt vs Villa. But his passing is absolutely woeful and he is very one paced and prone to being turned by quick mobile forwards. As has been said already LJ has made a huge mistake making Bailey-Wright captain. He's almost undroppable now. 

Great to have the depth now.

One of Flints major strengths is his ability in the air. Last season he won 62% of his aerial challenges. 

The reality this season is that Bailey, who has stepped into that role, is currently matching him on 63%.

IMO, you can't say we've looked like we miss Flint at the back this season, aerial wise, but in the opposition box at corners, he was a menace. 

11 minutes ago, Corsham Alf said:

I disagree. Flint is unquestionably the better defender. Bailey-Wright had one of his best games in a City shirt vs Villa. But his passing is absolutely woeful and he is very one paced and prone to being turned by quick mobile forwards. As has been said already LJ has made a huge mistake making Bailey-Wright captain. He's almost undroppable now. 

Wright is far more comfortable on the right hand side than he was on the left . Flint is poor with the ball at his feet and is much worse than Wright at being turned 

3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

The worst of it is mate that in their minds they really believe they do.

Totally agree. I personally think that having 5 CBs is going to create some strong competitiveness. Look at Flint in the cup the other night. Played his boots off. I think all 5 are gonna dig deep and work even harder.

Wright is a better footballer than Flint. The difference is that Flint is a terrific header of the ball in both boxes whereas Wright lacks that ability largely because he's around 6 inches shorter than Flint.

So it's a swings and roundabouts scenario. On the one hand you have a better footballer and on the other hand you have a head and kick traditional stopper.

LJ likes Wright because he has the footballing ability to bring the ball out. Flint doesn't...

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

People getting all uppity and offended about LJ being called Little Lee.

Seriously weird.

Easier/less keystrokes to type 'Lee'  or 'LJ' though. Unless you want to undermine the man by referring to his height. Can't understand why anyone would want to be that hateful though? 

1 hour ago, OldlandReddies said:

Wright/Baker clearly are currently our number one pairing but if either/both get suspended/injured then how good is it that we can call on any one of three quality CH's as cover. We must have the best group of CH's outside of the Prem. A very envious position to be in at least until the new year. Happy days.

Exactly that, when have we ever had such a choice of quality centre backs? To have Aden as third choice is actually exciting. 

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

No he's not. Baker is......

Agree.

Was a super signing. 

I'm still to be convinced how good Wright is, but I think I'm biased by him being poor on the ball on his left side, and I'm coming round to how decent he is now he's playing on the right.  Love how tight he gets, and I think him and Baker have struck up a good 'telepathy' (quoting LJ - sorry), that one can go tight, knowing the other has dropped off.  Neither are quick yet I don't fret that we'll  get done in-behind.

Baker looks fit, hungry and knows when to just knock it out for a throw-in, and when to play.  Looks unflustered, and like Wright knows when to be physical.

I like Flint, and I liked Flint / Baker partnership, but if I'm showing no sentiment then my pairing is Moore / Magnússon. :P

Nah, Wright / Baker.

I think Hegeler, Flint and Magnússon will be trying their hardest when they get their chances.  No bad thing.

Some offended by little lee ? Calm down it wasn't a dig the dig was he's not man enough to drop wright for flint !!! Harry done a job on flint stringing him along I feel then by signing harlee dean (cheaper) created a situation that little lee has to sort out know not sure how he will manage it and obviously wasn't helped by sl stupid comment of we would take 10mill for flint ! 

8 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Why does little lee keep banging on about bailey wright ? Yes he's solid enough but without doubt our strongest pairing is baker and flint , little lee has made a rod for his own back by making wright captain therefor first choice and would have to admit he got it wrong to pick flint over him. 

Which we all know he ain't man enough to do .....

Flint all day long..every time.

"Club captain" philosophy always restrictive...

7 hours ago, Spoons said:

It's a long season and I'm sure all three will get their chance for first team football ! 

Especially considering Baker is 'injury prone' and 'a walking red card' (he hasn't been booked yet in his three appearances this season) Flint will get plenty of game time...

12 hours ago, David Brent said:

Baker is a close second imo

..so maybe not "quite clearly" then...Wright would still be my 1st choice 

All just opinions. Yours is as good as mine (I was joshing with you). I think though - on first/early impressions - that LJ has put together a more than good enough central defensive combination.

I think peoples opinion of Aden's is skewed by his passion and his goals but I believe that the defence looks better balanced this season and in my opinion looks more difficult to break down. He's not a bad option to have as back up though ;)

Archived