IGNORED

Stats - Solid Defence

RedRoss

This season we have seen a remarkable change in defence which finally looks solid. 

Although stats don't always tell the full story our defence is showing up nicely on the ranking systems on whoscored or squawka.

Squawka link

yz3GMAz.png

Whoscored link

cMxBGad.png

I for one definitely agree with most of the showing above from my look at the performances of the team. It does also show the weakness in our central midfield too with Korey and Marlon ( although I like both players) we should be looking to address that going forward.

I think if we keep defending well and looking solid a lot of teams are going to find it much harder breaking us down unlike last season where we capitulated many times from winning positions.

Just need to get the midfield and attackers up to scratch and our season could be looking a lot better!

It's not just the stats, you can see that the defence actually looks more solid.

I do wish that we had a keeper that would come for crosses and command his area though.

Full backs are now solid and we have several solid centre back options, so good that 3 quality ones cant get in the team.

Would like to see a hard man in the centre of midfield though.

All in all, looking quite promising at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Very false you could say. If Brentford had put away their chances City could have the worest goal conceding record in all the leagues!

All ifs and buts though.

What if city had scored half the shots we had against Rotherham away last year and Flint didn't gift them two goals? 

12 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

Very false you could say. If Brentford had put away their chances City could have the worest goal conceding record in all the leagues!

Agreed, and Millwall. They had three clearcut chances that a better side will put away. Stats like this and subjective views of 'we look more solid' don't mean pish when we're still conceding more than a goal a game. When we go down with a GA col with well over 50 in it, will we still be protesting, "But we look more solid..." We may look more solid, but we also still look like conceding nearly every game.

12 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

You mean if Frankie (who is part of our defensive line) hadn't had a good game and done his job of making saves, then our defence wouldn't have been as good..? 

Like if Bobby Reid hadn't scored his goals, then our strikers wouldn't have scored many goals..? 

Let's ignore the goals that Bobby has scored and start a new LJ out campaign, based on him playing a midfielder up front...?!

33 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Agreed, and Millwall. They had three clearcut chances that a better side will put away. Stats like this and subjective views of 'we look more solid' don't mean pish when we're still conceding more than a goal a game. When we go down with a GA col with well over 50 in it, will we still be protesting, "But we look more solid..." We may look more solid, but we also still look like conceding nearly every game.

Okay so on the one hand subjective views and stats don't mean pish but you go and provide your own anyway..hypocrisy?

We've conceded 6 goals (which is the average GA conceded) in the league. Yet you're putting us down as relegation fodder already?

I can't remember these so called clearcut chances that we afforded to Millwall but they didn't go in. Other teams with better or worse GA will also have been fortunate on occasions to not concede at different times. 

The funny thing is your last statement agrees we look more solid which is all I'm getting across. 

On 9/5/2017 at 09:55, RedRoss said:

I can't remember these so called clearcut chances that we afforded to Millwall but they didn't go in. Other teams with better or worse GA will also have been fortunate on occasions to not concede at different times. 

The funny thing is your last statement agrees we look more solid which is all I'm getting across. 

Blimey, we were watching different games, then. We all see it differently, of course. I'd encourage you to look at https://www.bcfc.co.uk/bctv/?category=highlights and click on the extended highlights at 2'00; 2'20; 4'00; 4'40; 4'55 and 5'40.

As for 'stats', I hardly see it as hypocritical to say when we go down we'll have let a load of goals in (was it me mentioning a number? Is that really a stat?)

And, my words were 'we may look solid' - the inference being, people say that. I think the overall tone of my comment made it clear I'm not particularly convinced of that. But each to our own.

On 9/5/2017 at 09:24, EnclosureSurge said:

In a game of football this always happens, hardly worth mentioning I would think, but if you really need to nit pic, you will. 

We are looking more solid as far as I am concerned. 

On 04/09/2017 at 09:36, Jack Dawe said:

Last season, first 5 games, we conceded 5. This season, it's 6 conceded in the first 5. But we do somehow look more solid. Funny old game, eh?

We started really well last season... it was after this equivalent International break that it all went tits up.... So a similar start, hopefully without the Massive mid season blip...

Archived