IGNORED

Merchants Arms Hotwells

The Red Planet

1 hour ago, SARJ said:

Walked past the Merchants last night. Was all open and full by 4.30PM. Punters having to use the side door rather than the usual front door for obvious reasons.

For those who've never been in, thoroughly recommend it, nice little pub.

Hotwells is great for pub crawl. Sesh on.

Still pretty good, remember going on a 10 pub crawl in the early 80's

Iirc. starting at the Nova -> Pump House -> Merchants Arms ->Adam & Eve -> Spring Gardens -> Mardyke -> Plume of Feathers -> Crown & Anchor - American Eagle -> Myrtle Tree.

Don't think we went to The Bear for some reason  - Rugby pub?

Spring Gardens, Plume and Crown & Anchor all gone now - not sure what's going on at the Adam & Eve - but I suppose you could replace with The Bear, plus Grain Barge and Cottage which have opened since. Some of them not suitable these days for a crawl perhaps.

Used to be many more pubs on Hotwell Rd. before my time apparently (you can still see the old give away frontages on 1 or 2 of the older buildings) including one that took a direct hit in WW2 with multiple fatalities apparently.

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

So if I am going south on the A38 or A370 or going south on the M5, I am going south even if I am going in opposite directions.

Because of where the accident was, I assume that the eastbound carriageway was actually the one closed.

The entire A4 runs west to east from Avonmouth to London.

Yes I remember the A4 well from my childhood (before the M4) Used to take 4 hours playing I Spy in an easterly direction all the way to London to visit grand parents. Anyway..... who cares

8 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Iirc. starting at the Nova -> Pump House -> Merchants Arms ->Adam & Eve -> Spring Gardens -> Mardyke -> Plume of Feathers -> Crown & Anchor - American Eagle -> Myrtle Tree.

Spring Gardens, Plume and Crown & Anchor all gone now - not sure what's going on at the Adam & Eve - but I suppose you could replace with The Bear, plus Grain Barge and Cottage which have opened since. Some of them not suitable these days for a crawl perhaps.

Used to be many more pubs on Hotwell Rd. before my time apparently (you can still see the old give away frontages on 1 or 2 of the older buildings) including one that took a direct hit in WW2 with multiple fatalities apparently.

Was it The Plume that had a bar billiards table? Don't see many of those around anymore.

50 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Hope you're not suggesting that people should frequent the Grain Barge? 

I for one refuse to line the pockets of Ol' Red Trousers!

On a separate note, was it the Spring Gardens that changed name to Dirty Nellies, or something similar?

Great night out in Hotwells, living in Sea Mills it's only one stop on the Portway P&R and is the cheapest place I know of for a drink. 

1 hour ago, Antman said:

was that Bath Ales John? - he ran the Hare on the Hill for a bit too.

originally met him when he took on the Swan with two necks down in St Judes - it became a decent pub for a while(our local) - always thought it an odd place for Bath Ales to try out their first pub - always was a bit lairy round Little Ann St.

That was him. He's now retired but is the oberführer running some Hotwells allotments  

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, Flash Harry used to play regularly and others back in the 80's. Landlady was a good egg. Used to catch us "skinning up"  didn't mind as long as she had a puff !:cool:

I used to go in the Plume regularly in the 70's, their was a great funk band called 'chagonga' that played on Sunday nights. Anna was the landlady, I believe. I think she was at the Nova for a while and then Spring Gardens.

4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The Eldon. 

Plume had a pool table upstairs.

My mate Zoe was landlady of the Eldon for a while, and then It was taken on by another mate Blackie. Many lock Ins. I lived In a squat round the corner at the time whilst working full time...no rent and so plenty of beer tokens.

A friend from those days, and a city fan - no longer with us very sadly - was chef at the Spring Gardens.

Happy days.

• Admin
3 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I used to go in the Plume regularly in the 70's, their was a great funk band called 'chagonga' that played on Sunday nights. Anna was the landlady, I believe. I think she was at the Nova for a while and then Spring Gardens.

Anna had the George and Dragon at Pensford for a while as well, she had a brilliant chef there, fantastic food, it was after she left there she went to the Spring Gardens, taking the Chef with her, no idea where she is now, but she knew how to run a pub, that's for sure.

4 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

So did I, and I remember the blonde landlady, who would have been fairly young (for a landlady) then.

Also being fortified by a few pints of Owd Roger before Winter City games with Lou Reed on the jukebox, and actor Norman Bowler often sitting alone in the window seat at the bottom of the stairs reading his paper.

They also had a framed newspaper report of a City v Liverpool game (1-1 '78 I think) taking pride of place on the wall behind the bar.

Archived