IGNORED

why?

Sweeneys Penalties

• Admin

I think it's because traditionally our kit was based on the Union flag rather than the cross of St George which only really started gaining popularity amongst fans in the mid to late 90s. 

Look back at images of fans at previous tournaments and the vast majority of flags are the Union flag.

25 minutes ago, Ian M said:

I think it's because traditionally our kit was based on the Union flag rather than the cross of St George which only really started gaining popularity amongst fans in the mid to late 90s. 

Look back at images of fans at previous tournaments and the vast majority of flags are the Union flag.

Love this from Italia 90.  Good mix of flags but only one that's truly original 

IMG_2084.JPG

4 minutes ago, El Hombrecito said:

Appreciate you're talking about the away kit that we wore in the final, but we were wearing blue shorts even back then.

be6c5a8d570c850a87637997a706f6cb--england-fa-bobby-charlton.jpg

Refreshing seeing black boots on everyone, should be standardised imho

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

The colour of the boots really do not matter one bit.  To legislate only black books would be very strange 

Maybe, it annoys me. Perhaps its the pedant in me, but the lack of uniformity in the team, and when your centre halves have fluorescent pink and green boots, really makes my piss boil.

44 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Maybe, it annoys me. Perhaps its the pedant in me, but the lack of uniformity in the team, and when your centre halves have fluorescent pink and green boots, really makes my piss boil.

I actually agree. Weird nowadays that if you see a player in black boots (Magnússon a rarity) they look like special clogs!

8 hours ago, RedDave said:

The colour of the boots really do not matter one bit.  To legislate only black books would be very strange 

Why do you care what colour a players boots are? Never got this argument. It's just a colour for Christ sake, has no difference to the game what so ever. Stop worrying about fashion and focus on the game Dave. 

25 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

There's no blue on the Italian flag, no white on the German flag, no yellow or green on the Australian flag.....

Prior to WW1 the German flag was black, white and red stripes. The Italian strip is blue as it represents the royal italian flag and not the national flag. As for the Aussies, nothing about that crazy country makes sense.

It's the same reason City always play in red shirts but manage to introduce new kit every season - MONEY. By continually changing the kit teams can sell new shirts etc to supporters every season. It's the same logic with away kits. Often a team will wear their away kit when there is no need to change, but, by continually wearing an away kit, it encourages supporters to buy it. 

12 hours ago, El Hombrecito said:

Appreciate you're talking about the away kit that we wore in the final, but we were wearing blue shorts even back then.

be6c5a8d570c850a87637997a706f6cb--england-fa-bobby-charlton.jpg

I personally think Moore looks very smart in that image in the white and navy.

Assuming the blue on our kit started due to the lions in the 3 lions crest always being blue? That said, the red away jersey from 1966 final is iconic.

I remember when the first coloured boots started to appear(apart from the Alan Ball white ones from the seventies) and anyone daring to wear them in local football would be singled out for special treatment shall we say.To me they scream,ooooh look at me,and if you are a great player you can get away with it,but a bang average fourth division player..........

• Admin
4 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

The national team use the colours of the football association not the flag of England 

And below is the first version of that badge, used in our first International match (vs Scotland). The navy blue lions had red eyes and the crown on top was navy blue/red....all on a white background.

IMG_0207.JPG

9 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

There's no blue on the Italian flag, no white on the German flag, no yellow or green on the Australian flag.....

White & blue are the colours of the FA which is why traditionally England wore white shirts and blue shorts.

The flag of Prussia was white with a black cross on it. Prussia was the driving force behind German unification in the 19th Century. Because Germany and later west Germany continued with white shirts and black shorts that led to the colour clash in the 1966 World Cup Final.  England either lost the toss or simply agreed to wear their away strip of red shirts 7 white shorts (the colours of Champions :whistle:)?

Blue is the colour of the House of Savoy which is why it's worn by Italy and the Dutch royal family is the House of Orange which is why that colour is worn by the Netherlands team. France & Portugal have their football kit based on their national flags. Why the hell do Spain wear dark blue shorts?

7 hours ago, NOTBLUE said:

I remember when the first coloured boots started to appear(apart from the Alan Ball white ones from the seventies) and anyone daring to wear them in local football would be singled out for special treatment shall we say.To me they scream,ooooh look at me,and if you are a great player you can get away with it,but a bang average fourth division player..........

I remember being constantly skinned by a teenaged winger in a local derby (Briton Ferry v Lllandarcy) back in the day.  Not only was he nippy, he had fancy bloody blue boots on.  Before half time I teased him into Row F purely as a reaction to the poncey footwear.

My first pair were pretty close to these beauties........

img_5919.jpg

Archived