IGNORED

Syria still on course to qualify for World Cup finals

SecretSam

53 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Amazing, despite playing their home games in Malaysia, and all that is going on at home, they are through to a play-off vs Australia.

Regardless of the politics of the conflict, this is a remarkable achievement.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/05/syria-world-cup-play-off-australia-iran#comment-104755731

"Out of the Ashes" there's always hope. Good post mate.:yes:

2 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Amazing, despite playing their home games in Malaysia, and all that is going on at home, they are through to a play-off vs Australia.

Regardless of the politics of the conflict, this is a remarkable achievement.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/05/syria-world-cup-play-off-australia-iran#comment-104755731

During the World Cup I look forward to seeing Putin & Assad enjoying the game in their replica kits, downing cans of John Smiths

Putin's alright! if you actually listen to what he says unfiltered by our media (whoops, there I go filling in for Red Goblin...) and I hope his boys don't get to hear the insults.... :laugh:...

I suspect Syria won't actually get to Russia, as they have to get past the mighty (:fear:) Baily Wright and his ozzie boys... which is a shame as it would be fairy-tale for them to make it and hopefully be a few steps along the way of rising morale and giving hope to the youngsters in what was/is a football crazy country.

17 hours ago, brady bunch said:

Putin's alright! if you actually listen to what he says unfiltered by our media (whoops, there I go filling in for Red Goblin...) and I hope his boys don't get to hear the insults.... :laugh:...

I suspect Syria won't actually get to Russia, as they have to get past the mighty (:fear:) Baily Wright and his ozzie boys... which is a shame as it would be fairy-tale for them to make it and hopefully be a few steps along the way of rising morale and giving hope to the youngsters in what was/is a football crazy country.

I beg to differ on your opinion of Putin . 

The man is a narsistic megalomaniac. I have seen independent documentaries on him and he is to be feared.

Russia need a strongman at the helm and the Russians love him but he will do anything to keep in power and I mean anything .

Democracy is an ugly word in Russia. The tiniest criticism of the man could be fatal.

I will probably do my next post from a Gulag or worse.

As remarkable as it is, and it is, there's no question about that, I think it is being slightly mis-reported.

They're still very much odds against to reach the world cup.

They have to beat Australia over two legs, then beat the fourth placed team from CONCACAF over two legs too. They will be fairly large underdogs in both of those.

They've done fantastically well against the odds, but they most likely will not reach the world cup.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I beg to differ on your opinion of Putin . 

The man is a narsistic megalomaniac. I have seen independent documentaries on him and he is to be feared.

Russia need a strongman at the helm and the Russians love him but he will do anything to keep in power and I mean anything .

Democracy is an ugly word in Russia. The tiniest criticism of the man could be fatal.

I will probably do my next post from a Gulag or worse.

Spot on sir, although if they had a decent democratic system i'd say they wouldn't need a strongman / thug. Suspect he's popular because there is no free press and opposition is clamped down on.

1 hour ago, steveybadger said:

Spot on sir, although if they had a decent democratic system i'd say they wouldn't need a strongman / thug. Suspect he's popular because there is no free press and opposition is clamped down on.

I have Russian friends who think he's great .

They've bought the whole package and they are intelligent people who know most of what  he does but believe it's necessary against China,The USA and any other subversive country who wants to bring down mother Russia.

He has gone a long way to restoring pride after the break up of the Soviet Union.

Here's a link to news of some of his opponents.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/worldviews/wp/2017/03/23/here-are-ten-critics-of-vladimir-putin-who-died-violently-or-in-suspicious-ways/

The Washington Post may not be the most neutral of newspapers regarding Putin but there's plenty more out there if you want to see it .

Well he's all right in my book, considering where Russia was before Putin, it was never going to be plain sailing given the history and centuries of abuse of power, from Kings to Commies. Most of the documentaries are “hit jobs“ on him and need to be seen in context.

He’s no saint, but considering the sinners before him, he has done a lot to restore Russia and bring it into the 21st century.

Mike Parry (of Talksport and red top infamy) took the view that should we face a massive global issue like a Comet hurtling towards Earth and we had a short time to unite and fix it. A World leader would be needed and if we had to pick someone to lead the world, it would be the willy old Putin who should get the job..  Could not argue with that view myself.

Even if my fellow OTIB friends who have commented negatively about him on here have to stay a while at his personal invitation at a gulag in Siberia….  :facepalm::P:whistle:

2 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

Well he's all right in my book, considering where Russia was before Putin, it was never going to be plain sailing given the history and centuries of abuse of power, from Kings to Commies. Most of the documentaries are “hit jobs“ on him and need to be seen in context.

He’s no saint, but considering the sinners before him, he has done a lot to restore Russia and bring it into the 21st century.

Mike Parry (of Talksport and red top infamy) took the view that should we face a massive global issue like a Comet hurtling towards Earth and we had a short time to unite and fix it. A World leader would be needed and if we had to pick someone to lead the world, it would be the willy old Putin who should get the job..  Could not argue with that view myself.

Even if my fellow OTIB friends who have commented negatively about him on here have to stay a while at his personal invitation at a gulag in Siberia….  :facepalm::P:whistle:

I was interested in your post until you mentioned that plonker Mike Parry!!

This thread was always gonna be an "interesting" one for political discourse. Be great if they do make it though, theres a lot of countries in the middle east that proper love their football mind. Iran is another one. Always nice seeing a relative minnow doing well on the world stage an all.

Archived