IGNORED

RM Poll

Charlie BCFC

RM Poll  

228 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A position I can't decide who start for is the right midfield position. Obviously Brownhill has been playing there all season but is he more effective through the middle of midfield? Eliasson looked good v Watford, Leko is probably West Brom's hottest prospect at the moment. Not to mention we also have O'Dowda. So who would you choose?

Frankie

Pisano (or I quite like Korey at RB) Wright/Flint(depending on Wrights fitness post international), Baker, Bryan

Leko, Brownhill, Pack, Patto 

Reid, Fammy 

Either that or possibly go 433/451, but I don't think Reid can be dropped OR play up top on his own.

Id throw Leko straight in 

With his potential attacking prowess Id be happy to be 'solid' in the other three positions (Bit of a left field call but I'd consider Kelly in front of Joe)

(Lee won't do this I accept)

I think I'd actually go 4-5-1 with Leko and Elliason (or Patterson as less of a gamble) 'unleashed' to support FD , either side of a three of Smith/ Pack/Brownhill probably , with a potential argument of GON to play centrally

Tell the back four to keep their shape , two of the central midfielders to shield back four and the responsibility to support FD coming from the two wide players and to some extent JB (Or BR ?)

Very harsh on BR , but think it would work well going forward and yield more pts than our current set up.and tempted to have him in Brownhills role but think that's heart over head

Lee has a strong belief in the system and new players learning that and their role (Which is an understandable strategy) so I don't expect him to make significant changes - He May be tempted to throw Leko in and in that case I think he'd leave JB out

Maybe controversial here but I'm becoming (sadly) convinced that neither Smith or Pack will take us forward at this level - if that's our aim

Really like both , their part in the L1 title , and appreciate the qualities they have  I've traditionally been more of a Smith than Pack fan but Pack has improved for me while Korey has struggled to find his best

In simple terms I look at them both and tend to think they're not quite good enough defensively or as an attacking threat - they're not poor players , they're both very good players but at this level I'm increasingly thinking they're not going to take us forward - they're 'okish' in both roles defensively/creative but not great in either

They're not a disaster but I think both need upgrading 

I would like both of them to play a part in our journey forward (:fingerscrossed:) but I just don't see it as it stands (IMHO Smith , if he found his best and alongside a quality midfield general / creative partner could carry on the journey but needs to get motoring)

Head over heart says upgrade

Am I being harsh - I'm Sure there will be , but many ? , who can see Pack / Smith being part of our midfield in 12-18 months time ?

I like Brownhill but he's no RM ... he drifts inside into the middle all the time and offers no width and often little support to the RB ... I would play him in the middle though as I feel he could be the creative source we are looking for ... 

Based on his recent substitutions I think that LJ rates Smith above Pack.

If Leko is to start wide right (though maybe not on Saturday, as he has missed much of this week away with England), I'd guess Brownhill and Pack are then competing for the spot to play alongside Smith.

As for the post suggesting Eliasson (and Leko) start away at Reading, have a word, Eliasson has loads to learn about positioning when we don't have the ball, aside from the fact that Paterson is probably about our second likeliest scorer, at present..

26 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

I think Pack has raised his game and can put a shift in most matches.

Thing with Korey is he's inconsistent. He either has a stormer or he's on his backside more than he's on his feet. Just falls over like a pisshead in the taxi queue.

Exactly the point I was going to make. A Korey on form is a starter without question, but I really think we have only seen glimpses of that since he's come back from injury, I really don't think he's fully fit or something.

So give him games to get his sharpness back or let someone else take his role at the moment? I don't think we can afford to drop too many points or we might find ourselves on a negative roll once again, we've got a lot of players to bed in still without having to nurse the old ones along too. Play your strongest team and let him fight for his place back, he's not captain now afterall.

People want a wide open team against a side who will have 70% possession?!  Amazing.

To get anything from this game we will need to be hard to break down, press, and hit on the break.

Diedhiou hold up play has been poor so far but I guess he needs to play for the greater good of him learning 

.                  Fielding

Pisano.  Wright Baker. Bryan

Brownhill Smith Reid

Leko. Diedhiou. Paterson

Sure posters will pick up on Reid in midfield but he can still get forward from there I would hope and that is a busy midfield

7 minutes ago, RedDave said:

People want a wide open team against a side who will have 70% possession?!  Amazing.

To get anything from this game we will need to be hard to break down, press, and hit on the break.

Diedhiou hold up play has been poor so far but I guess he needs to play for the greater good of him learning 

Brownhill Smith Reid

Leko. Diedhiou. Paterson

Sure posters will pick up on Reid in midfield but he can still get forward from there I would hope and that is a busy midfield

Looks ok to me but I suspect it will be a game too early for Leko and it will be the usual 442 with him on the bench.

I also think if Reid plays he'll play up front, he'd be at the back of the queue for central midfield.  Smith's a better player than Pack but Pack is on much better form at the moment.  

We do have some decent balance to the side.  I'd like to see Taylor back on the bench and Kelly getting some game time.

I wonder if Flint will come in for Wright given the internationals.

7 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Looks ok to me but I suspect it will be a game too early for Leko and it will be the usual 442 with him on the bench.

I also think if Reid plays he'll play up front, he'd be at the back of the queue for central midfield.  Smith's a better player than Pack but Pack is on much better form at the moment.  

We do have some decent balance to the side.  I'd like to see Taylor back on the bench and Kelly getting some game time.

I wonder if Flint will come in for Wright given the internationals.

Flint could easily play. Would be temped to throw Kelly in and have Bryan in midfield instead of Reid.  Problem is if you set up 4-3-3 where does Reid play? Hard to drop someone in such good form.

If he had more about his as a striker he could play instead of Diedhiou but can't see him capable of playing lone striker 

Never had Brownhill down as a Right mid. Leko for me.

4-3-3/4-5-1 hybrid too, can't go 4-4-2 usual style at Reading away. It does leave dilemmas though...

O'Neil- who is much criticised- in fact got 5 assists in the League last year for us so maybe he would be worth looking at again as one of the central 3.

Yeah though, Leko on the right, Brownhill back in the middle tbh.

30 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Flint could easily play. Would be temped to throw Kelly in and have Bryan in midfield instead of Reid.  Problem is if you set up 4-3-3 where does Reid play? Hard to drop someone in such good form.

If he had more about his as a striker he could play instead of Diedhiou but can't see him capable of playing lone striker 

Tend to agree, but I don't think putting Reid in central midfield will be that different to putting him up front - he isn't great at the defending side of the game mainly due to concentration and awareness when out of possession.

25 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Never had Brownhill down as a Right mid. Leko for me.

4-3-3/4-5-1 hybrid too, can't go 4-4-2 usual style at Reading away. It does leave dilemmas though...

O'Neil- who is much criticised- in fact got 5 assists in the League last year for us so maybe he would be worth looking at again as one of the central 3.

Yeah though, Leko on the right, Brownhill back in the middle tbh.

O'Neill or Hegeler in a midfield of three will probably help a lot.  Smith or Pack protecting the defence, Brownhill roving and one of those two steadying in the middle should give us a decent balance both going forward and defensively.  

2 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Still Smith with Brownhill at cm for me, Eliasson on the left, Leko down the right. Exciting bit of talent on the wings now, its like having two Alberts.

Can we just confirm how many games you've seen Eliasson or Leko play..?

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Brownhill Smith Reid

Leko. Diedhiou. Paterson

I don't mind that formation, or selection, but surely you'd swap Reid & Paterson, based on this season..? 

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

Paterson not a central midfielder and reid not a winger in my opinion 

If you are thinking of it as more of a 4-5-1 formation, then I'd agree. 

In an actual 4-3-3 (as you displayed it) I think it could work. 

Granted, you'd probably choose a more solid midfielder that Paterson for that role. 

It will be interesting to see what LJ does with Bobby on Saturday. 

Can he drop someone in his form, for the good of the team formation..? The reaction from (some) fans would be severe, especially if it didn't work. 

I guess it depends if, in reality, we try to stop Reading playing their game, or go at them in our own way and let them deal with us. 

6 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Maybe controversial here but I'm becoming (sadly) convinced that neither Smith or Pack will take us forward at this level - if that's our aim

They're not a disaster but I think both need upgrading 

This, 100% this! you have summed up how I feel about the pair,

Smith of old would have been worth keeping, but he is nowhere near what he was when he first came (injury and family life I think has set him back). now the pair of them are okay, but unless there is a radical upturn in form, they are lower half championship/top L1 players.

Archived