IGNORED

At what level have you played football?

myol'man

A question has been asked in another thread by one poster to another

" Have you played football at any level? 

So my question to you all is " Have you played football at any level? If so, which?"

For myself, I had a couple of seasons in Somerset County League, but mostly Sunday League pub teams.

*nb*  Dolly is excused from this question :whistle:

At 15 I trained with a Western Premier side who were looking at having me involved with the reserves as I couldnt register with them.

I stopped because the training day moved and clashed with a prior commitment.

At Uni I played once as an emergency LB for a Welsh Sunday team, I stopped because I was dropping out of uni a month or so later.

This summer I played 20 minutes or so of a friendly for Cosmo FC after a post on here.

I played the worst I ever have and was so unfit I couldnt manage more than the 20 minutes.

Hadnt realised I was so unfit, but should have expected to be having not kicked a ball for about 18 months at that point.

Semi pro for Bristol Manor Farm, my career highlight was taking out Sean Rigg with an extremely late tackle when we played against Bristol Rovers under 18's around 2006 I believe! We lost 2-0 on the downside and I had to quit playing due to knee trouble and he's still knocking around in the lower league's, nevermind eh! 

2 minutes ago, TinnionForEngland said:

Semi pro for Bristol Manor Farm, my career highlight was taking out Sean Rigg with an extremely late tackle when we played against Bristol Rovers under 18's around 2006 I believe! We lost 2-0 on the downside and I had to quit playing due to knee trouble and he's still knocking around in the lower league's, nevermind eh! 

Bloody hell, good chance I watched you play.

Mid 2000s me and my Dad were either at The Creek watching Manor Farm, or Moorhouse Lane watching Hallen.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Bloody hell, good chance I watched you play.

Mid 2000s me and my Dad were either at The Creek watching Manor Farm, or Moorhouse Lane watching Hallen.

Didn't have the best of games although I took a free kick in the last minute that came close to going in, pretty sure I would of enjoyed that against the gas! Love manor farm just not that easy to go and see them being that I live over in Fishponds! 

2 minutes ago, TinnionForEngland said:

Didn't have the best of games although I took a free kick in the last minute that came close to going in, pretty sure I would of enjoyed that against the gas! Love manor farm just not that easy to go and see them being that I live over in Fishponds! 

I'm a big Manor Farm fan now, really got into them the last few seasons. Similar to yourself with transport being a pain as I live in Kingswood and don't drive, but the club helps a lot with that with their deals.

Play exciting football and great offers for fans.

Half price if you show a City season ticket, half price if you take the train to get there or a reduced price if you get the Park & Ride to the game. Amazing incetives for the level considering how much ticket receipts means for clubs at that level. Helps that their crowd last monday was mid 200s, rather than the 30-40 they used to get.

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I'm a big Manor Farm fan now, really got into them the last few seasons. Similar to yourself with transport being a pain as I live in Kingswood and don't drive, but the club helps a lot with that with their deals.

Play exciting football and great offers for fans.

Half price if you show a City season ticket, half price if you take the train to get there or a reduced price if you get the Park & Ride to the game. Amazing incetives for the level considering how much ticket receipts means for clubs at that level. Helps that their crowd last monday was mid 200s, rather than the 30-40 they used to get.

How much does it cost if you show your season ticket? My local non league club is mangotsfield and I went to school there so have a bit of a soft spot for them but it's  £8 which isn't especially cheap really! 

Over 40 years ago I played in what was the Western League. No idea what it's equivalent is these days.

We used to get "boot" money if we won. The first time it happened I thought the lads had stuffed paper into my boots as I showering but it was a fiver. My working wage at that time was £6 a week and pair of Levi 501s cost £3.50 so a fiver was terrific sum. 

On the Monday I went out and bought a pair of Levi's.

8 minutes ago, TinnionForEngland said:

How much does it cost if you show your season ticket? My local non league club is mangotsfield and I went to school there so have a bit of a soft spot for them but it's  £8 which isn't especially cheap really! 

It's £8 at Farm too, but 4 or 5 if you show a season ticket. They started the offer in the Western League when their their tickets were less and have been a bit inconsistant advertising the train ticket deal which is the same as the season ticket one.

What I have found staggering is at Farm there are faint talks of league football.

They all acknowledge it is a long way off and they would need to redevelop the ground or find somewhere else, but it is very much a distant plan!

They are aiming for promotion again this season after coasting through last year (they made it look like we struggled during our title season!)

I'm looking forward to the Manor Farm vs Mangostfield game coming up, should be entertaining.

Kicked a wooden block (from woodwork class) around the tarmac 'playground/yard' at Oldland Common Secondary Modern Boys School (pre Sir Bernard Lovell Comp' ) with about thirty other kids during dinnertime breaks... more of a puck than a ball :)  (bloody hurt too.. :laugh:)  ....

We didn't have mobile phones, tablets, online games Facebook etc (although there was a few angry birds around from the girls school down the road, if that counts?)  but give us a block of wood and we were happy!! :laugh:.. 

(no Health & Safety in those days, but we did have school 'rules' that banned ball games in the yard!! ... chunks of 4x2 were apparently ok though!! ;) )

Easily pleased 'buffoons and simpletons'  some might say..  (just wanted to post those underused words following comments on another thread) :)  

So school yard Kickabouts without balls was our 'level' not sure how advanced a standard we should be classified as though.

I remember going on a school trip to Switzerland  to play some friendly games.

When we arrived at Montreaux there was a sign up saying Montreaux  U16 v England schoolboys U16's so from that point on I have always classed myself as an ex international.

Needless to say after the first 5 minutes the person who put up the sign must have realised they had made a mistake.

23 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Over 40 years ago I played in what was the Western League. No idea what it's equivalent is these days.

We used to get "boot" money if we won. The first time it happened I thought the lads had stuffed paper into my boots as I showering but it was a fiver. My working wage at that time was £6 a week and pair of Levi 501s cost £3.50 so a fiver was terrific sum. 

What did you do with the other £1.50?

Spirit .

I was a fast , tough tackling wingback in the mould of Terry Cooper , Mick Mills or Stuart Pearce . 

Get the ball or the man was my motto.

I played briefly  for Worlebury Wanderers  but refused the call from my school when they were a player short at a match where I just happened to be walking my dog  ( not Ashton Vale ) 

Not good enough to be selected , not good enough to make up the numbers .

That showed 'em.

So , not a pro but more a lover of the game or these days mostly a lover of City but not very interested in the Prem ( as yet ) or the national sides.

I once trained with Bridgewater Town . They didn't ask me back . 

I could've be a contender .

40 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Do they still fit ?

5 minutes ago, jackofromrugby said:

Charfield, Leighterton (Stroud League) Midelec Dynamoes (Worcester League) Melyn Manor, Yellow Stars (Neath League) Briton Ferry (Welsh League - not League of Wales) and finally a comeback aged 50 with Daventry Town Reserves in the United Counties League.  No loyalty shown as I was always chasing the big pay day, me!

What did you do wrong to have to put up with going there?!

Archived