IGNORED

At what level have you played football?

myol'man

5-a-side with a few lads who were signed up on here and another forum we used to post on. 

Had to knock it on the head in the end as I had a never ending knee problem which was keeping me out for a few weeks at a time, play a game and then pick up another knock. Was also about to move to Norwich with my wife (then girlfriend) so because of the injuries I gave it up a bit sooner than I wanted to.

9 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Do they still fit ?

I got home and wore them in a warm bath because they shrank with blue dye going everywhere. Then I wore them around until they dried. 

Mum thought I was nuts and made me go outdoors......no idea why..............

Was part of the management 'Dream Team' at Dav!  Joined and left the club at the same time as the first team manager.  His side's record was something like P52, W44, D4, L4............... then he had a bit of a spat with the great unwashed upstairs!

I had a great time, mind.  Trying to explain positions on a whiteboard to modern day players was a bit of a challenge.  I can't understand which bit of "Goalie, Left Back, Right Back, Left Half, Centre Half, Right Half, Outside Left, Inside Left, Centre Forward, Inside Right and Outside Right" they were struggling with, to be fair.  Seems like no-one in that league recognised the good old 2-3-5 formation from the 60's. 

And more than one substitute????? Don't get me started on that!

School team in the 1970s was the height of my achievements. Small rural school - if you were male and the right age you had a good chance of playing! Our games master was a Welsh rugby player and didn't have a clue. We were so bad we used to get thrashed 6-0 by Millfield seconds.

1 hour ago, myol'man said:

A question has been asked in another thread by one poster to another

" Have you played football at any level? 

So my question to you all is " Have you played football at any level? If so, which?"

Millfield 2nd XI

8 minutes ago, Leveller said:

School team in the 1970s was the height of my achievements. Small rural school - if you were male and the right age you had a good chance of playing! Our games master was a Welsh rugby player and didn't have a clue. We were so bad we used to get thrashed 6-0 by Millfield seconds.

:chant6ez:

Mostly Somerset Senior and Suburban for the last 20+ years, began finding it harder competing with the whipper snappers, also didn't want to block whipper snappers at my own club. Semi-retired from Saturdays last year, I'd say retired now, but will probably help out if/when required.

I've been playing in the Bristol Casual League (veterans) for the last few years which suits me perfectly, one game every few weeks on a Sunday morning, brilliant lads, decent football, more emphasis on technique/ability than pace/fitness, played in the right (Corinthian) spirit.

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

So the underlying theme for this thread is ' frustrated footballers ' now dishing it out to those that frustrate.

My frustration was back then because I had to drop out because of my work.......I had to work Saturdays and that was right bugger. 

I could have made it, I really could...........:whistle:

Played for Bristol City and Blackburn Rovers.

OK it was for the Association of Provincial Football Supporters Clubs In London at Wormwood Scrubs (next to but not in the prison) but the shirts were genuine.  In the latter case it was because Blackburn were a man short.

I also once played against Gary Mabbutt in a youth club game.  I didn't get anywhere near him and couldn't work out why - about 10 years later he was playing for Spurs and England. I understand he also had a spell with a local team, can't remember which. 

I played at a high level and low level in the same match. First half high level, second half low level. I was a flying winger (artistic license) and once played on a pitch  which had an amazing slope from side to side. Taking a corner from the high side merely required kicking the ball horizontally to make it reach the penalty area at crossbar level. A corner from the low side was an impossibility  

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Up on the Downs and Suburban League for Old Cothamians/Cotham Old Boys. 1990-1996. Great times with some great blokes. 

Interesting. I'm an old man now, but played for Old Cots as a lad (late 1960s) and again in my thirties (late 1970s), in between which periods I was away from Bristol for reasons of education and/or professional training. Some ex-players from my era remained involved with the club after hanging up their boots. We probably both know, or rather knew, a few of those guys. I was never particularly good, but enjoyed it, even if it wasn't the highest of standards in those days. 

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Up on the Downs and Suburban League for Old Cothamians/Cotham Old Boys. 1990-1996. Great times with some great blokes. 

Booo!  Played half a dozen games for Clifton Rockets with some mates when I was very young!

48 minutes ago, Engvall's Splinter said:

I've always been interested in this. Good question. 

Western league level. Mainly Bris & Bishop Sutton a fair few years back. Shepton Mallet also. 

A few years at Imperial Bristol (alongside T. Tainton!) in my late teens

A few seasons with a team called TDR Dynamo (Suburban Prem 1) in my early 20s.

They folded and I then went to Brislington and Odd Down for a few seasons in Western League Prem.

Snapped my ACL and spent 5 years at Stockwood Green trying to overcome the injury, eventually knackering my other knee before hanging my predators up at 31!  

Played for a few Sunday teams too

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Booo!  Played half a dozen games for Clifton Rockets with some mates when I was very young!

A few years at Imperial Bristol (alongside T. Tainton!) in my late teens

A few seasons with a team called TDR Dynamo (Suburban Prem 1) in my early 20s.

They folded and I then went to Brislington and Odd Down for a few seasons in Western League Prem.

Snapped my ACL and spent 5 years at Stockwood Green trying to overcome the injury, eventually knackering my other knee before hanging my predators up at 31!  

Played for a few Sunday teams too

At least you reached 31 man!

Was at QPR with stint with Aldershot before deciding it would be fun to Rupture my ACL/tear my LCL and meniscus cartilage (same knee) when jumping for a header and landing wrongly.

Tried to make a comeback of sorts training with Reading Town but so many complications with more operations and physiotherapy (mentally gone as well at this point) that I was forced to stop playing at 19. Haven't kicked a ball competitively of any sorts since then (7 years). 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:
1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

What did you do with the other £1.50?

Over 40 years ago I played in what was the Western League. No idea what it's equivalent is these days.

We used to get "boot" money if we won. The first time it happened I thought the lads had stuffed paper into my boots as I showering but it was a fiver. My working wage at that time was £6 a week and pair of Levi 501s cost £3.50 so a fiver was terrific sum. 

On the Monday I went out and bought a pair of Levi's.

Probably bought one of these.....   Image result for z cars annual

I just don't have the words to express how much I like this post!'s  (it had to have started somewhere!)

Archived