IGNORED

At what level have you played football?

myol'man

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

My career was spent in the Church of England Junior Leagues, even though I'm an atheist.

The absolute height of my career, was a game for Sneyd Park in the Downs League. It was probably Div Four but in the side were two Gloster cricketers, David Allen and Tony Brown.

I then retired disgracefully.

Not Bobby Ewing are you?!

23 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Nice to hear from another Old Cot, Cliff. I guess you'd have known &/or played with John Bishop (Bish) who sadly passed away a month or two ago I'm sad to say. Cots were very well represented at the funeral with Eulogies from both Bryan Bullock and Andy Kavanagh who you may know. In my playing days Bryan was (I think) Club Secretary and Kavs was at the tail end of his playing career, although he is still with the club as Chairman. Some great memories from those days. 

Only just spotted this and am truly shocked at the news re JB, who I knew very well indeed in the old days: he would have been about my age. Was out on the beer with him most Saturday nights after a game, over a period of several years before I left Bristol to study elsewhere. Also know BB and and have seen him within the last year. Rather than post more personal stuff on the open forum, will try if I can to PM you.

23 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Nice to hear from another Old Cot, Cliff. I guess you'd have known &/or played with John Bishop (Bish) who sadly passed away a month or two ago I'm sad to say. Cots were very well represented at the funeral with Eulogies from both Bryan Bullock and Andy Kavanagh who you may know. In my playing days Bryan was (I think) Club Secretary and Kavs was at the tail end of his playing career, although he is still with the club as Chairman. Some great memories from those days. 

Have now sent you a personal message via this forum regarding John Bishop.

9 hours ago, Redtucks said:

I played in the same team as Jack Boxley!!!!!

.......at skittles!

I gave advice to Joe Jordon. (on how to get someone to prune the trees in his garden). I also once sat next to Alan Dicks in the barbers.

10 hours ago, winterbournered said:

Highcroft is known as Watermore now...

I was at Manor early 80's, at Ridings from 87-92! 

I played for elm park in Winterborne, we won the league in 1985. I  played once for the Ridings. I couldn't be bothered to carry my kit on my bike for training and scored against castle school. I later played Sunday league and 5 a side. A leg break in six places put paid to that whilst playing football with the kids on holiday.

1 hour ago, elruli said:

I played for elm park in Winterborne, we won the league in 1985. I  played once for the Ridings. I couldn't be bothered to carry my kit on my bike for training and scored against castle school. I later played Sunday league and 5 a side. A leg break in six places put paid to that whilst playing football with the kids on holiday.

My little ones go to Elm Park! 

Used to be a nightmare playing away games for The Ridings used to get dropped off on the Oval and then a walk back in the dark down through the hilly fields back to Coalpit Heath. Used to scare me witless.

Got to ask, how did you manage to break your leg in 6 places playing with the kids :blink:

5 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I gave advice to Joe Jordon. (on how to get someone to prune the trees in his garden). I also once sat next to Alan Dicks in the barbers.

Good job you never sat next to Jason Lee at the barbers!!!

"He's got a pineapple on his head....."

My career high came playing only my 2nd or 3rd time for a team called Wokingham (now folded used to be in the Ryman League) in an FA Cup qualifieing round against Maidenhead Utd. Came on as a 17 year old sub and made an assist. However it was reported in the local paper as I had scored so obviously know I get to tell people I once scored in the FA Cup! :clapping:

Played in the Downs.

Played the majority of a season, pretty a average but the next preseason was looking solid, scored four times in four games. Then about three games or so into the season I tore my ACL and haven't played since.

Also filled in in goal winning 2-1 in that game. Apparently my shouting made a defender feel bad.

Also played one friendly game for the forum team in Frenchay, we lost 2-1. I got the consolation from a corner.

1 hour ago, citywest30 said:

My career high came playing only my 2nd or 3rd time for a team called Wokingham (now folded used to be in the Ryman League) in an FA Cup qualifieing round against Maidenhead Utd. Came on as a 17 year old sub and made an assist. However it was reported in the local paper as I had scored so obviously know I get to tell people I once scored in the FA Cup! :clapping:

That reminds me that I forgot to mention that played at Wembley in the FA Cup.

1st qualifying round vs Wembley FC away, in sight of the twin towers.

When I played in the Bristol Suburban league it was sometimes difficult to get a qualified referee. One day playing away to Teyfant the ref didn't turn up so our manager agreed to referee the match. It was raining slightly to start with but then became torrential. During one Teyfant attack a cross came into the penalty area and their centre forward punched the goalkeeper out of the way, caught the ball, and threw it into the net. We all expected the "ref" to award a free kick, but instead he awarded a goal. He hadn't seen the punch or the handball, only the ball entering the net, as he had left the pitch to get his umbrella. Those pampered players in the Premier League haven't got to put up with things like that 

On ‎06‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 21:24, Davefevs said:

Our coach was Rod Wesson....think he was an art teacher....who was heavily involved in Rovers Academy, might still be?

aka.. Wesson Super Mare / Wesson donkey / Wesson Pier / Wesson sand/mud/Beach etc etc ?????

(he was a teacher, must've had a nick name or two... ?  :) )

On 9/6/2017 at 12:36, Robbored said:

Over 40 years ago I played in what was the Western League. No idea what it's equivalent is these days.

We used to get "boot" money if we won. The first time it happened I thought the lads had stuffed paper into my boots as I showering but it was a fiver. My working wage at that time was £6 a week and pair of Levi 501s cost £3.50 so a fiver was terrific sum. 

On the Monday I went out and bought a pair of Levi's.

Nice one, City and Rovers reserves played in the Western League I believe.

On 06/09/2017 at 12:24, Big Red Rich said:

Premier Combination for 5 years. 

But my highest level I think was beating the C C CJS on several occasions for the forum team!!!! :P

*scoring against surely marks as the highest point.  Given you were in goal..

16 hours ago, Redtucks said:

Good job you never sat next to Jason Lee at the barbers!!!

"He's got a pineapple on his head....."

Sung that to  him once as he walked Down the tunnel at the Gate when he was with Watford IIRC

He went beresk and had to be held back by a teammate and one of coaching staff :blink:

Was a bit shocked - Thought he would have been used to hearing it and it was hardly vicious but he went loopy :blink:

:boxing::laughcont:

Archived