IGNORED

Taylor and the 'tapping up' saga

'Orns

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

Came from Wael himself during an RB interview. http://www.gazetteseries.co.uk/sport/15103572.FOOTBALL__Bristol_Rovers_owner_Al_Qadi_and_Bristol_City_counterpart_Steve_Lansdown_make__gentleman_s_agreement__over_future_cross_city_transfers/

Rovers made complaint about tapping up to FA/EFL and then withdrew it...

This was after Wael's attempt at banter...

So why are people on here getting upset with our club, when it seems we've done nothing wrong?

2 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Came from Wael himself during an RB interview. http://www.gazetteseries.co.uk/sport/15103572.FOOTBALL__Bristol_Rovers_owner_Al_Qadi_and_Bristol_City_counterpart_Steve_Lansdown_make__gentleman_s_agreement__over_future_cross_city_transfers/

Rovers made complaint about tapping up to FA/EFL and then withdrew it...

This was after Wael's attempt at banter...

This tweet sums him up perfectly. It shows what a big deal £300k is to him! 

I'm sure SL was more than happy to wait that 120 day period to see how MT adapted to league one. 

Having scored 15 goals in half a season, or whatever it was, £300k was a bargain however anyone looks at it. 

Except Wally, who doesn't seem to have £300k to spend. 

My thoughts on it posted in Feb

I am not sure if this has been mentioned before.  Maybe it has, if so apologies for the new thread.

But Matty Taylors transfer has the hallmarks of Mark Ashton written all over it.

I believe this deal was done in the summer, perhaps at the end of last season. Bearing in mind we have decided to get our act together finally and identify and recruit targets of a certain age and skillset that will provide value in a resale.  During that time add value to our current campaigns.  Matty Taylor totally fits that bill.

It would be more surprising that Matty Taylor was not on our radar.  They guy knows where the back of the net is.  Many questions were asked at the end of last season why we didn't bid on him.  He wasn't under contract to r*****s (childish but i just cant type their name).  Therefore he was probably free to talk to clubs.

Enter Mark Ashton.

I am sure there was a conversation between Mark and Matty before he resigned with r****s.  A roadmap was defined and executed.  The release clause was more than likely Mark Ashtons idea and one that r****s had to take in order to secure the services of Matty. 

Those conversations between Matty and Mark included that he needed to prove himself in league 1, which he did. Once we we happy, we triggered the release clause and he became our player.

The architect of this move was Mark Ashton.  All above board and was completed before Matty Taylor resigned with r****s in the off season.

Mark Ashton sold Kodjia for 15m and bought Matty Taylor for 300k.  Both to me are not flukes.  Both required planning both short term and long. 

My thoughts could be totally off base....but usually trust my gut and this is what it tells me.

Stevo

4 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

And they are two people that would accuse the club of lying if they told them today was Thursday.

Still, if they get off on getting wound up over something that doesn`t exist that`s up to them.

This is undoubtedly true and if the club decided to respond to them, they would immediately insist that they have come out with a pack of lies and continue with their own deeply held conspiracy theories.

4 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

And they are two people that would accuse the club of lying if they told them today was Thursday.

Still, if they get off on getting wound up over something that doesn`t exist that`s up to them.

Waiting for someone from Aus to disagree with you ;)

2 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

I am not sure if this has been mentioned before.  Maybe it has, if so apologies for the new thread.

But Matty Taylors transfer has the hallmarks of Mark Ashton written all over it.

I believe this deal was done in the summer, perhaps at the end of last season. Bearing in mind we have decided to get our act together finally and identify and recruit targets of a certain age and skillset that will provide value in a resale.  During that time add value to our current campaigns.  Matty Taylor totally fits that bill.

It would be more surprising that Matty Taylor was not on our radar.  They guy knows where the back of the net is.  Many questions were asked at the end of last season why we didn't bid on him.  He wasn't under contract to r*****s (childish but i just cant type their name).  Therefore he was probably free to talk to clubs.

Enter Mark Ashton.

I am sure there was a conversation between Mark and Matty before he resigned with r****s.  A roadmap was defined and executed.  The release clause was more than likely Mark Ashtons idea and one that r****s had to take in order to secure the services of Matty. 

Those conversations between Matty and Mark included that he needed to prove himself in league 1, which he did. Once we we happy, we triggered the release clause and he became our player.

The architect of this move was Mark Ashton.  All above board and was completed before Matty Taylor resigned with r****s in the off season.

Mark Ashton sold Kodjia for 15m and bought Matty Taylor for 300k.  Both to me are not flukes.  Both required planning both short term and long. 

My thoughts could be totally off base....but usually trust my gut and this is what it tells me.

Stevo

Quality post that, bit tin hat and speculative but interesting nonetheless. Honestly never thought of it like that.

3 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

Enter Mark Ashton.

Stevo

Sounds right to me .....Seems a very good idea and well thought out

On 06/09/2017 at 20:13, Ivorguy said:

This whole sorry saga is a terrible condemnation of how our club treat us - like the proverbial mushrooms.  Sadly so for the many of us who remain deeply sceptical of the way the club is run.  This is one of the worst examples.  I would like the club's lawyers and accountants to make a statement on the Taylor transfer so that rumours are laid to rest and the full and accurate story is in the public domain.

Wake up, The Board ! and join the 21st century of openness and transparency. You will find that this will prove beneficial in every way for Bristol City, owner, Board, management, players and, not least, fans

Well at least you have found another thread to have a dig at the club now most of the anti-Johnson threads have disappeared. Anyone other than you I would have considered this a joke...:facepalm:

6 minutes ago, PolskRed said:

Well at least you have found another thread to have a dig at the club now most of the anti-Johnson threads have disappeared. Anyone other than you I would have considered this a joke...:facepalm:

A very predictable response. One day the way this club has been run will all be out in the open, and then we shall all see the reality and be able to make a reasoned judgment.  Until then we will have to rely on individual interpretations of what we do know. You clearly feel the club has no question to answer re the gentleman's agreement, whereas I beg to differ.  Thus does otib roll ever onwards

9 minutes ago, PolskRed said:

He lost all respect for his views from me a year or so ago when he said `Rest assured Mr Lansdown, we will have you out of this club` like he`s the leader of some sort of government in waiting or something.

10 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

A very predictable response. One day the way this club has been run will all be out in the open, and then we shall all see the reality and be able to make a reasoned judgment.  Until then we will have to rely on individual interpretations of what we do know. You clearly feel the club has no question to answer re the gentleman's agreement, whereas I beg to differ.  Thus does otib roll ever onwards

There was a good level of openness this evening at Ashton Gate, some might say.

Meanwhile, you've not been especially open regarding your level of nobility and seem to have blanked my suggestion.

18 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I have been watching the club for 35 years and am struggling to remember the club being in a better position off the pitch and other than the year we reached the play of final, on the pitch? Please feel free to correct, if I am wrong then hats off to you and and will be more than willing to stand corrected.

14 hours ago, spudski said:

When talking about 'Tapping up' in the true sense of the word, then it happens in all transfers.

There are two transfer windows.

A player is given a contract.

If 'Tapping up' didn't occur, then all players would run their contracts down and have to become free agents.

Club officials and players agents will be talking about players all the time, whilst they are contracted.

The 'tapping up' happens, just through 'third parties'....the agent and the Club 'official'.

It's a ridiculous situation where the FA impose a ban on talking to players...especially with the way transfers work these days.

'Tapping up' has to occur, especially under FFP, when negotiating and knowing what budgets are available.

If anyone thinks players haven't been 'tapped up' then they'd be wrong.

Absolutely

Same right across Football

If Flint had , let's say a £2 million release clause - does anyone think that Arry wouldn't be aware of it and have bid..... £2 million

35 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Absolutely

Same right across Football

If Flint had , let's say a £2 million release clause - does anyone think that Arry wouldn't be aware of it and have bid..... £2 million

As far as I can see there are 2 reasons for a release clause, and in both cases at least one party would want the clause known.

A) So a player can get a move away without it being blocked by the club.

B) A release clause at such a ridiculous price that the club would be able to buy pretty much anyone they wanted as a replacement (see Neymar), while at the same time warning clubs off because of how stupid the price is, and placating any worry the player may have about the club blocking a move.

Could be said in 'B' that the club may not want it known as such, but the Agent or Player wouldnt mind, and in 'A' the Player and Agent would want it known.

Isn't it great that the Gas find themselves the "victims" of a clause in a contract? I don't recall them complaining when they stole the Memorial Ground (I refuse to call it a stadium) from Bristol Rugby by exploiting a clause in their lease. This was the same Bristol Rugby who were gracious enough to give them a home when they were homeless. Doesn't sound like a family club to me.

6 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

LJ said that we had (Mainly Tins) been watching him for a while and we could have gone in for him iwhen he was OOC in summer - he indicated , if I undrstood it right , that Engvall not coming up to proof prompted our move for Taylor in January

Yes Taylor was out of contract. That to me says able to listen to offers. 

As I alluded to, maybe then we "tapped him up". All legal and above board. Mark Ashton has proved himself shrewd in the market. 

With possible access to Taylor's agent an agreement in principle was hashed out. 

The release clause was actually advised by MA. I seem to remember Taylor had Moron FC over a barrell and signed really late. 

Of course on the face off it they were all really pleased with the committment he made. Secretly deal was done.

He was always going to be our player, we just didn't want to pay fair market value. 

I remember the Weal tweet. Funny in retrospect. We could  have paid 2m for something 6 months later we paid 300k. I guess we needed him to prove himself in the first half of last season. That's worth 300k

Something obviously went on hence the gentlemans agreement. 

Once again we have done them off the pitch... And we didn't even play them.... However they have been royally played

Stevo

Archived