IGNORED

saturday 19:45pm kick offs a possibilty?

Never to the dark side

How much more of traditional match days are going to change (for the worse IMO) in the future ?

The cup final no longer kicks off at 3:00, Saturday evening kick offs to satisfy Sky and the armchair supporter now on the agenda, programmes on a smartphone app no doubt.

What else ? When there is a dubious offside or penalty appeal, let's pause the game and have a phone in poll (celebrity get me out of here style) to decide what comes next.

What's next?

During there summer Simon Cowell's new TV show - football idol. Young aspiring footballers audition before Simon and a panel of celebrity coaches to see who can make the grade with a contract at a top club awaiting the winner.

Let's go totally bonkers - Transfer fees and contracts for supporters.

Supporter transfer deadline day on Sky, can see it now - LJ being interviewed from his car window Arry style "well yeh we've brought in 200 fans from Walsall on a two year deal for the development squad, been watching them for some time; we have other bids out for there but as always we will announce something when deals are over the line"

27 minutes ago, Float'n Over said:

How much more of traditional match days are going to change (for the worse IMO) in the future ?

The cup final no longer kicks off at 3:00, Saturday evening kick offs to satisfy Sky and the armchair supporter now on the agenda, programmes on a smartphone app no doubt.

What else ? When there is a dubious offside or penalty appeal, let's pause the game and have a phone in poll (celebrity get me out of here style) to decide what comes next.

They will try and get a winter break in and scrap the xmas games.

6 minutes ago, shelts said:

Be a real shame if they changed the Christmas fixtures as I think they're an important part of tradition in this country, I would like the Fa to re introduce Christmas Day games ...

The thought of telling the missus to hurry up with xmas lunch as i'm off to footy!

9 minutes ago, shelts said:

Be a real shame if they changed the Christmas fixtures as I think they're an important part of tradition in this country, I would like the Fa to re introduce Christmas Day games ...

Seriously? It's bad enough having Boxing day ruined with City losing again, at least let me have that day off.

• Admin

I'm gonna put my tin hat on here and say I'd rather a Saturday 19:45 game than an early kick off on either weekend day. On the continent all the major leagues seem to have late evening games and I've always wondered why we were resistant to it, on a Saturday transport options are usually good and for those with Monday-Friday jobs they can make a day of it & those who work weekends can get away with working an early. 

• Admin
12 minutes ago, shelts said:

Sorry family, can't do Xmas this year, we're away at Preston  :mf_sleep:

I went to one. Roma-Inter and the atmosphere was excellent tbh. Certainly didn't have an effect on the atmosphere for the negative!

I think 5.30pm a good halfway house tbh. Atmosphere there usually good and it offers some of the benefits as described by @Ian M . Not the FA Cup Final though, that's gotta be 3pm Saturday! Quite like the odd 5.30pm Saturday League game under the lights though.

When will people realise what the problem is. Everyone who has sky (and not just sky sports as they shuffle resources across to underpin their ridiculous footy bill) is contributing to this sort of thing and the ridiculous sums of money and the parasites that follow.

1 hour ago, milo1111 said:

When will people realise what the problem is. Everyone who has sky (and not just sky sports as they shuffle resources across to underpin their ridiculous footy bill) is contributing to this sort of thing and the ridiculous sums of money and the parasites that follow.

May I ask what you use? 

2 hours ago, Ian M said:

I'm gonna put my tin hat on here and say I'd rather a Saturday 19:45 game than an early kick off on either weekend day. On the continent all the major leagues seem to have late evening games and I've always wondered why we were resistant to it, on a Saturday transport options are usually good and for those with Monday-Friday jobs they can make a day of it & those who work weekends can get away with working an early. 

The reason we are resistant to it goes back to when there were Catholic plots to rid our nation of the new C of E. Thus anything that went against our traditions and tried to instill ideas from the continent was seen as heresy against the Protestant faith and a sure sign that you were a Catholic plotter. This mindset has remained with us ever since.

So it has major obstacles to overcome if this is to be accepted by the Brits. Plus, 19.45 on a Saturday was the time when most Catholic plotters/ heretics were burned at the stake for the entertainment of the Brits, or were hung, drawn and quartered and had their innards torn out and burned in front of them (sometimes it was behind them if they were known to be paranoid). Any entertainment on a Saturday at 19.45 that draws huge crowds in Britain would have to replicate this to stand any chance of success, so football stands no chance especially since the players are far better protected these days and there are no Norman Hunters, Tommy Smiths or Ron 'Chopper' Harrises or even Ron 'Chopper' Heresys.

5 hours ago, Float'n Over said:

Let's go totally bonkers - Transfer fees and contracts for supporters.

Supporter transfer deadline day on Sky, can see it now - LJ being interviewed from his car window Arry style "well yeh we've brought in 200 fans from Walsall on a two year deal for the development squad, been watching them for some time; we have other bids out for there but as always we will announce something when deals are over the line"

And of course we`d all have to have agents negotiating on our behalf. 

`Well, you could go to Oxford but I reckon I can get you more money from Portsmouth.`

8 hours ago, downendcity said:

What's next?

During there summer Simon Cowell's new TV show - football idol. Young aspiring footballers audition before Simon and a panel of celebrity coaches to see who can make the grade with a contract at a top club awaiting the winner.

That has already been done, not with Simon Cowell though. Think the contract was with chelsea and liverpool.

If TV want it, this will happen. Tough luck on travelling supporters though as it'll be nearly 10.00pm when get out of the ground. I believe some Spanish games kick off on Saturday evenings with really bad finishing times for the visitors.

I think it would be okay if there was a limit on the travel time (take it from ground to ground), say an hour or 90 minutes max. A majority of teams would then have fixtures which could be applicable, Liverpool/Everton would have the Manchester clubs, Southampton would have Bournemouth/Brighton, Brighton would then have Palace etc, most the London clubs would have each other. It would stop having say Newcastle vs Bournemouth as a 19:45 kick off. Obviously not all fans live in the City of the club they support but you'd have to assume a lot do and its then a fans choice to make the trip if they want to. 

3 hours ago, 54-46 said:

So Virgin don't pay any money to Sky for the rights to show Sky channels?

Of course they do but its not on the same level as shovelling 100 a month into skys pockets like some people do. Which in turn means they can pay silly money for prem football as that is the foundation of their biz model. Which then creates silly ko times, sickening agent fees and average players on 50 k a week. Not to mention an england team devoid of passion. 

Archived