IGNORED

Q and A tonight

Phileas Fogg

1 hour ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

No offence, but you write that as it everyone can get to the ground

I live over 100 miles away, and that is before taking into account the location I am working that day. To put such a flippant comment is a bit insulting to your fellow supporters

It seems surprising that only around 50 people could find a spare couple of hours. Maybe I'm the only City fan living in BS3...? :blink:

1 hour ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

I live over 100 miles away, and that is before taking into account the location I am working that day. To put such a flippant comment is a bit insulting to your fellow supporters

What I am gauging from this thread is that there was not enough time to ask some questions as they had been shown a presentation etc?

I thought the evening was a Q&A event? Not for staff in attendance to lead the floor with pre-prepared videos etc?

I'm always happy to criticise where due ADBA but I don't think that's really fair

@Ian M has explained it well in his post above

The presentations were available to try and demonstrate what they were talking about and to try and show supporters what / how / why we are trying to do it

Quite simply , time was always going to win - There were potentially so many questions to ask , most of which take a fair few minutes at least to answer 

Tbf to LJ / JM / DH all three stayed for a good half hour after to chat informally

In all honesty you could have taken up the whole evening on just one subject , say recruitment 

Might be worth the Club considering a theme for questions if they do another one but then that goes against a open floor for questions on any subject

23 minutes ago, RedM said:

They obviously intended showing the video or else they wouldn't have had it prepared, nothing wrong with that but it can't have been purely in answer to a fan. I guess the club didn't know what the response to the session would be or for the fans the response to questions. There could have been an awful lot of ' we can't comment on that' type answers but it sounds like it was a good meeting between both parties as such. I'm sorry I missed it and hope they will do another in the future.

it was to answer a question of how we get players before other clubs . The video is shown to a player as sort of a presentation. We were told they might use some video before they started . Maybe they  would've shown it anyway, it was used as an insight to transfer dealings and do we do our homework on purchases . I see where you're going

21 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

It seems surprising that only around 50 people could find a spare couple of hours. Maybe I'm the only City fan living in BS3...? :blink:

In fairness I don't think it was publicised fantastically. Despite that; the event might have actually benefitted from a smaller attendance. People may find it easier to speak more naturally.

10 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Whilst I was impressed that the club are going to these lengths I felt the video was somewhat lacking in quality. It's a very good idea but seemed it was made by a student. Far too much emphasis on effects rather than on the contents which I felt was lacking.  

I just don't think it really sold the club and the City as well as it should have.

The Culture,  the history and the vibrancy of this great City wasn't captured Imo.  

Many players who have played for us have ended up remaining in Bristol and raised their families here, when people move to Bristol they rarely move out. I think it would have been a good idea to have these players in the video.

I just don't think we beat our own drum as hard as we could have done.

This isn't a recent thing. It goes back a long way and was already happening in my first years as a City fan. The recently departed Alec Eisentrager, Bob Anderson, Jack Boxley, Jimmy Rogers, Arnold Rodgers from the 1955 promotion squad all remained here. And Tom Richie, Gerry Sweeney, Clive Whitehead, Bobby Gould, Joe Jordan are among many who came and stayed. 

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

In fairness I don't think it was publicised fantastically. Despite that; the event might have actually benefitted from a smaller attendance. People may find it easier to speak more naturally.

Fair points. I did think it was weird that wasn't any social media promotion for it during the day. It did seem a little more candid than past events and that will have been aided by the absence of journalists (I know Andy Stockhausen was definitely at some similar past events).

2 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Fair points. I did think it was weird that wasn't any social media promotion for it during the day. It did seem a little more candid than past events and that will have been aided by the absence of journalists (I know Andy Stockhausen was definitely at some similar past events).

I think that they prefer it like that - especially LJ. I think LJ has realised anything he says has the potential to be used against him. Sometimes it's down to perhaps naive things he says; other times I feel people twist what he says.

At a small event, LJ can feel like he's talking to the individuals, make eye contact with everyone and give proper answers conversationally. In a room with 200 people he'd naturally feel more guarded and the QnA would feel like a public speaking thing, not an informal chat. Will have to try and make the next one myself.

Obviously I am off the mark with my comments again

But, I was thinking also along the lines of previous supporters club meetings where we were told there wasn't enough time for all questions. 

In the past they have had stadia tours, chats by Mark Ashton etc

Last night was essentially a Q&A, it wasn't for the club to control, surely a short verbal answer could have been given in the instance of the question?

Unless of course the question was to actually see this video, then it was one heck of a coincidence that the room was pre set up ready to show it!!

6 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

But, I was thinking also along the lines of previous supporters club meetings where we were told there wasn't enough time for all questions. 

Last night was essentially a Q&A, it wasn't for the club to control, surely a short verbal answer could have been given in the instance of the question?

Unless of course the question was to actually see this video, then it was one heck of a coincidence that the room was pre set up ready to show it!!

Seems the theme was recruitment and the video is quite an interesting insight to get. Not often you get to see that sort of detail so I imagine they had it ready just in case.

It's also possible they just have it stored on the same laptop any slides for the QnA were on so it was pretty easy to show it when appropriate.

Don't think there's any foul play here, the management don't have to do this sort of thing.

3 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

I really think people are getting too caught up on the video. It wasn't a 90 minute documentary on the construction of the Dolman Stand. To suggest it ate up a significant amount of time is wholly incorrect.

The few slides used were definitely interesting and showed how we use data to scout players and develop players we already have.

The most impressive thing about last night was Lee Johnson.

He is very affable, engaging, relaxed, humorous and in my opinion, very detailed and knowledgeable on the game.  I think City were right to keep him in his job last year and he appears to me, the consummate professional with a wise head on his shoulders. I'm sure he knows how to deal with the players as well as the press. You only had to listen to him and some of the situational events he used as examples to understand this.

There was a lot of discussion around risk/reward in the decision making process and a significant amount around data to help improve the decision making process, prior to watching a player and then sitting down with a player to see if indeed, they are a good fit for the club.  It struck me how much football is now business, not just at board level as is always spoken about, but definitely at Manager and Assistant Manager level and with the coaching staff too. His role is developing fast and if he was in industry, outside of football, then you would say that his knowledge and ability to deliver is high.  Clearly the managers role has changed tremendously over the last 5+ years and the commitment and understanding required to execute this job is immense.  Equally, he is lucky (if that is the right word) to be able to perform this role in what I think is a very exciting work place with serious headroom for upside and a massive amount of personal satisfaction.  What a great job to have!

He is a young man (36) and in my eyes is 100% a good fit for the clubs aspirations going forward and the way those aspirations are being channelled. I hope they run these events quarterly as it was a very interesting forum and educational too.  You come away with appreciation and recognition which is far better than just moaning about results.  Few people in life win all of the time.

Had City wanted the nearest thing to a guarantee for success then they should have hired Neil Warnock when Lee's father lost his job. There is no denying Warnock's success rate, but I am assuming that personalities didn't gel even though Warnock publicly declared he would liked to manage City.  Would that have mattered though for a £100 million Premier League Jackpot?

Regardless and as with all business, it is a journey and progression in line with expectation, opportunity and reality is the name of the game. Lee Johnson in charge, based on what I observed last night, looks like progression to me.

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think that they prefer it like that - especially LJ. I think LJ has realised anything he says has the potential to be used against him. Sometimes it's down to perhaps naive things he says; other times I feel people twist what he says.

At a small event, LJ can feel like he's talking to the individuals, make eye contact with everyone and give proper answers conversationally. In a room with 200 people he'd naturally feel more guarded and the QnA would feel like a public speaking thing, not an informal chat. Will have to try and make the next one myself.

One has to wonder what the real point in it is though PF, when only 50 people turn up. Is it even worth the time of LJ/MA? I remember Lansdown and GJ doing a couple in the Dolman exhibition hall where several hundred people attended. What exactly is the benefit in a q & a which is barely publicised beforehand and then receives little or no media attention afterwards, therefore we are relying on being told by those that were there what happened. Why was the rugby one streamed on social media but not ours? There has always been live tweeting from Adam of the previous ones with SC, SOD etc... 

I'm afraid it does come across a little as simply a box ticking exercise. Or possibly protecting the current manager from being exposed?

44 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

I was there. It was not a presentation.

The video was available but it wasn't forcibly dragged up. It was shown because it was relevant.

This wasn't Mark Ashton giving a 48 slide presentation. There were a handful of slides used (maximum 5 I'd say).

Anybody who wasn't there suggested that anyone "led the floor" and just ate up time with the video is wholly wrong.

What utter and complete nonsense*

*Please note i wasn't there but I wanted to get on board with the "leavers".  This is fun.

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

One has to wonder what the real point in it is though PF, when only 50 people turn up. Is it even worth the time of LJ/MA? I remember Lansdown and GJ doing a couple in the Dolman exhibition hall where several hundred people attended. What exactly is the benefit in a q & a which is barely publicised beforehand and then receives little or no media attention afterwards, therefore we are relying on being told by those that were there what happened. Why was the rugby one streamed on social media but not ours? There has always been live tweeting from Adam of the previous ones with SC, SOD etc... 

I'm afraid it does come across a little as simply a box ticking exercise. Or possibly protecting the current manager from being exposed?

I agree. I'd have liked to have seen - at the very least - live tweeting. A bit unusual that there wasn't as we seem to use twitter even more than ever now.

I saw the rugby one was streamed and hoped ours would be too. Not that difficult to do - you could get around audience members not being mic'd up or in sound range by 'pinning' the text of the questions asked. It's definitely doable and free.

You can even turn off people commenting if you want, but to stream it makes sense to me. I was also puzzled as to why it was seemingly kept rather quiet - hence why I posted it on here yesterday.

To his credit, I remember SO'D being really good and interesting at these events. He also did that podcast with some fans. Perhaps now Ashton is more involved he wants to control the narrative somewhat about how these events go - as is corporate practice.

12 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Let me clear this up.

Right at the start the first thing that was said was we have some slides and videos we have prepared in case certain questions pop up. They explained if people didn't want to see then they wouldn't be shown. No way at all were these slides thrown upon us. They naturally flowed from the questions.

I was quite impressed that they have prepared these slides. I think it gave an insight into the level of detail we go into. They could have all turned up , answered questions and gone home.

But they clearly took the time to prepare for the event, it's nice to see even at small events like this our management team don't do things by half's. I think it was just a small snapshot into the effort they go to.

One word that kept being used over and over again was data, we go to extreme lengths to ensure we have as much data on even the smallest of details.

17 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Again let me clear this up.

It was explained that there would be no live streaming and people were asked not to live stream so that the management team could give honest and open answers. 

The event was open to anyone.

There was 3 or 4 cameras recording the event so I'm sure within the near future the club will put a video up of it.

3 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Again let me clear this up.

It was explained that there would be no live streaming and people were asked not to live stream so that the management team could give honest and open answers. 

The event was open to anyone.

There was 3 or 4 cameras recording the event so I'm sure within the near future the club will put a video up of it.

The rugby QnA was live streamed online by the Rugby Club. Begs the question why ours wasn't? 

Not a huge deal if you read otib as we've had detailed accounts, but what about fans who don't who may have had no idea this was taking place? 

In the process of typing up what I have from some long notes for those that are interested but couldn't make it

Just some general observations

I was dissapointed by attendance , and think they will be - Jave to confess so only picked up about the q&a from the forum (Thanks @Phileas Fogg) - wonder whether people don't go on main site these days (I don't unless something of interes is highlighted on here) - especially with the transfer window closed and a poxy International break dragging on

As for the videos / slides - they definitely weren't forced upon an audience - They obviously had various bits available to help explanations / answers and also to give attendees something to see , rather than listen to just talking (I found the slides very interesting as LJ used them to explain how he views and utilises the data in recruitment and player development)

As I've said I'll criticise where justified but if they didn't show some of this stuff people would complain we aren't told or explained anything and everything's shrouded in secrecy

Thought the slides in particular were very interesting and appropriately and professionally used by LJ in his explanation on how it's used

i do suspect that they astutely recognised that the main questions may revolve around recruitment and were properly prepared to show how / why we are working re recruitment , and defend what theyre trying to do to some degree 

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The rugby QnA was live streamed online by the Rugby Club. Begs the question why ours wasn't? 

Not a huge deal if you read otib as we've had detailed accounts, but what about fans who don't who may have had no idea this was taking place? 

I would guess the rugby club were not able to give as many honest answers as we were able to.

I think tbh we wanted it to be an intimate event as I agree it was poorly advertised it. I personally prefer ed it how it was rather than having 300 plus there.

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

In the process of typing up what I have from some long notes for those that are interested but couldn't make it

Just some general observations

I was dissapointed by attendance , and think they will be - Jave to confess so only picked up about the q&a from the forum (Thanks @Phileas Fogg) - wonder whether people don't go on main site these days (I don't unless something of interes is highlighted on here) - especially with the transfer window closed and a poxy International break dragging on

As for the videos / slides - they definitely weren't forced upon an audience - They obviously had various bits available to help explanations / answers and also to give attendees something to see , rather than listen to just talking (I found the slides very interesting as LJ used them to explain how he views and utilises the data in recruitment and player development)

As I've said I'll criticise where justified but if they didn't show some of this stuff people would complain we aren't told or explained anything and everything's shrouded in secrecy

Thought the slides in particular were very interesting and appropriately and professionally used by LJ in his explanation on how it's used

i do suspect that they astutely recognised that the main questions may revolve around recruitment and were properly prepared to show how / why we are working re recruitment , and defend what theyre trying to do to some degree 

I can't believe we were in the same room and didn't get to share a drink.

But you've made some very good comments here that I agree with entirely.

6 minutes ago, cynic said:

100% better idea than streaming imo.

Bit like the SL Q&A sessions at away games now and then where you get a much more relaxed and candid exchange at these smaller gatherings.

Streaming it will result in less candid exchanges and turn it into a corporate event (and the inevitable keyboarders giving it large).

Couldn't give a toss what the rugby does tbh.

I think as we have seen on here, without being there it is very easy to lose context and for people to twist things and misunderstand things. 

If it's live streamed your gonna get every single manager, agent etc viewing it. 

I also think it's only fair to those that made the effort to attend that they get the opportunity to ask the questions rather than someone who couldn't be bothered and are watching on their phone.

2 hours ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

What I am gauging from this thread is that there was not enough time to ask some questions as they had been shown a presentation etc?

I thought the evening was a Q&A event? Not for staff in attendance to lead the floor with pre-prepared videos etc?

I live 15 minutes walk away from AG but that doesn't mean it was convenient for me to go at 7pm on a Thursday.

I've been to several Q&A's before, notably one with GJ, SL and CS, and found the panel to be so well prepared, and such polished speakers that they easily warded off criticism and in fact really searching questions were rarely asked or if they were, not fully explored. The intimacy of the room meant the panel seemed to charm the few dozen or so fans.

To my mind these occasions, though useful, need to be held at such time when masses of fans have assembled at AG anyway, i.e. on the lunchtime of a Saturday matchday, or a pre season open day.

Apart from that, were the fan base at large emailed about the Q&A ( I know it was advertised on the OS) or was the poor turnout, as commented on by a couple of attendees, actually the intention and quite a relief?

The idea that some comments should be 'secret', or not disclosed by those present is very odd. No chance of this happening anyway, but why make the comments in the first place if you're only happy for a few score fans to know about them?

11 minutes ago, Dave said:

This event was first announced on the Club website on the August 23rd.

Strangely though not publicised on the day of the event through our Twitter or Facebook pages. The last time it was publicised on either was the 4th. 

I think people these days read more of our news when published on Twitter and Facebook. I never really look at the club site aside from BCFC TV.

I appreciate there's not an ideal time for it- people all work different hours and live in different places so it's impossible to find the right time for everyone.

However- why not on say the Saturday of the International break just gone for example? Or maybe the weekend of the Villa game- that was a Friday night, Sunday or Saturday perhaps? Or indeed- barring rugby being same weekend, the weekend of the Burton game- that's another Friday night? Well there's rugby away that weekend but maybe...

Or even after the Cardiff game- midday kick off, not too late, could have done it post that game.

Can't help but feel they missed an opportunity to engage the wider fanbase in this.

33 minutes ago, cityfan said:

Good post cityfan :thumbsup:

few thoughts on your thoughts

The most impressive thing about last night was Lee Johnson.

Agree - (I'd also include JM when I spoke to him afterwards )

LJ came across as very likeable last night and much hettter  than in  some of his media interviews

Appeared relaxed and I'm not sure whether that was the setting without the media or as appears the case he's much more relaxed and confident this season (Less / lack of issues in dressing room ?) 

He actually gives off a vibe that he's realistic but quietly confident things are going in the right direction 

He is very affable, engaging, relaxed, humorous and in my opinion, very detailed and knowledgeable on the game. 

Agree

I think City were right to keep him in his job last year and he appears to me, the consummate professional with a wise head on his shoulders.

definitely committed and tryingN to be the consummate professional - as forvwise uead - not so sure at this time - Still young and definitely learning for me

I'm sure he knows how to deal with the players as well as the press.

IMHO Think these may have been his hardest tasks / weaknesses / learning curve

You only had to listen to him and some of the situational events he used as examples to understand this.

Equally, he is lucky (if that is the right word) to be able to perform this role in what I think is a very exciting work place with serious headroom for upside and a massive amount of personal satisfaction.  What a great job to have!

That struck me too last night - he's got all the 'toys' , analysts a plenty , the coaching staff he wanted , backing to spend (Albeit with obvious limitations) and top backing from the owner - talk about opportunity !

He is a young man (36) and in my eyes is 100% a good fit for the clubs aspirations going forward and the way those aspirations are being channelled. I hope they run these events quarterly as it was a very interesting forum and educational too.  You come away with appreciation and recognition which is far better than just moaning about results.  

11 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

To my mind these occasions, though useful, need to be held at such time when masses of fans have assembled at AG anyway, i.e. on the lunchtime of a Saturday matchday, or a pre season open day.

Apart from that, were the fan base at large emailed about the Q&A ( I know it was advertised on the OS) or was the poor turnout, as commented on by a couple of attendees, actually the intention and quite a relief?

There wasn't a mass email about it, there wasn't any reminder on Facebook (110,000 followers) or Twitter (114,000 followers) on the day of the game. The club probably have 10s of thousands on their email database too.

I think the event was probably better for being more intimate, but the club definitely weren't pushing for huge numbers to attend. You're right, perhaps not a matchday but a free saturday or an open day in August (with several online reminders and email) is clearly the best way of advertising it to ensure a big attendance. Doesn't sound like that was the intention though.

It shouldn't take a posts on OTIB (by supporters) for people to know about it

Archived