IGNORED

Q and A tonight

Phileas Fogg

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

.To my mind these occasions, though useful, need to be held at such time when masses of fans have assembled at AG anyway, i.e. on the lunchtime of a Saturday matchday, or a pre season open day.

Have to disagree in part here.

The last thing I want our head coach and two main assistants doing at lunchtime on a match day is a Q&A session with the fanbase. I want full focus on the game at that point.

Open day - yes, but that means (if we ever have an open day again) it's once per season, before any serious business starts and is less valuable.

The timing of this feels right and assume they will do more at similar times in the season. The limited advertising to me is the only issue

11 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

To my mind these occasions, though useful, need to be held at such time when masses of fans have assembled at AG anyway, i.e. on the lunchtime of a Saturday matchday, or a pre season open day.

Apart from that, were the fan base at large emailed about the Q&A ( I know it was advertised on the OS) or was the poor turnout, as commented on by a couple of attendees, actually the intention and quite a relief?

The idea of hosting it prior to a match is brave. There would be a competition on here amongst users for the first person to post that LJ had "taken his eye off the ball" if we were to lose said game.

The event was promoted in BCFC emails on August 25th and September 2nd.

15 hours ago, Up The City! said:

After attending tonight I am 100% sure our club is in the right hands and it won't be too long before we are in the premier league. If anyone ever has any doubts about the management then get along to one of these and your mind will be put at rest.

Almost like there are a few of us *ahem* who have been saying it all along:)

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I appreciate there's not an ideal time for it- people all work different hours and live in different places so it's impossible to find the right time for everyone.

However- why not on say the Saturday of the International break just gone for example? Or maybe the weekend of the Villa game- that was a Friday night, Sunday or Saturday perhaps? Or indeed- barring rugby being same weekend, the weekend of the Burton game- that's another Friday night? Well there's rugby away that weekend but maybe...

Or even after the Cardiff game- midday kick off, not too late, could have done it post that game.

Can't help but feel they missed an opportunity to engage the wider fanbase in this.

Perhaps LJ wanted to be watching other games at those times? League 1 games are still on so perhaps he wanted to go watch, similarly us playing on Fridays means he could go watch another championship game potentially.

Also Cardiff isn't a midday kick off :thumbsup:

14 hours ago, Robbored said:

I know where your coming from- I've always been sceptical about pretty much everything the club do/say for decades

That said, both MA and LJ have been impressive whenever I've hears them speak independently of each other and slowly I have begun to,believe that they and others involved at the club are actually implementing SLs strategy and that the green shoots of progress are showing through.

Having bean watching City for 50 years I honestly feel that the club is as healthy as its ever been.

I agree the club is in a healthy position - thanks to Lansdown's largesse. I agree his strategies are now being implemented thanks to all his management employees "singing from the same hymn sheet".

This is all much better than most of the 40 odd years I've been watching. 

But whether these strategies and all this polished talk actually bear fruit on the football pitch... well, I'll wait and see.

Can we finally become a solid, competitive, serious Championship side? We've not managed that since the mid 1970s. I have my doubts about the ability of the current coaching and playing staff to achieve that but will be very happy if those doubts prove to be misplaced.

Here's hoping.  

21 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I can't believe we were in the same room and didn't get to share a drink.

But you've made some very good comments here that I agree with entirely.

;)

Likewise your good summary and good explanations about the slides and video have been fairvand well made - 

What struck me last night is the non public story of last season would make a very interesting read - the off pitch issues clearly had a marked effect and combined with obvious mistakes which , I've noticed LJ is beginning to recognise and address (Mentioned again last night about 'over coaching') may explain the mid season car crash

I came away believing that he desperately wants to succeed and will do everything he can to do so (I do wonder whether all the 'toys' complicate matters at times , especially as a young learning manager)

I'm not totally sold that we have all the right staff to maximise both coaching and recruitment to make the plan / ethos a success but we are trying to follow a plan professionally 

I also came away thinking that JMs appointment (Which I was very sceptical of) was actually a very good one that seems to have had a positive effect for Lee

I do have the feeling that it may not be any middle ground with Lee - You can see that because he's young and keen to utilise modern technology and , I'd suggest still on a massive learning curve , that if he hangs in there and develops any progress may be quite exciting and suddenly hit some heights

I can still see there is a chance that he may crash and burn before that but I dont see 5 yrs mediocrity with him - think it may be one or other !!!! 

Im certainly curious about the revolution and modernisation of the club 

The harsh reality though lies in results and think we will all know where we are, on the pitch in another ten games or so

13 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

I asked about Flint, and if he'd had a chance to talk to him yet now the window had closed. He said no but he was planning to tomorrow. He also re-stated as did Mark Ashton, that at no point had Flint come to them and asked to leave, he said he'd been as good as gold in training and hadn't caused any problems. 

Good to hear - not a fan of his on the pitch but I'm glad that's been cleared up, good on him.

13 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

What registered with me more PF was the 'in person' selling of the Club to Tammy / Leko 

Said that he had been up in London with MA talking to Chelsea and agents , drove back to Bristol on a wet night when he got a call to say he could meet Tammy if he wanted to

Said he knew he had to turn round and go back up and take the opportunity , which he did - and we know the end result

Said that He had met with Leko and explained that we had a young squad that he would get on with and, our ethos , how we try and play , and how we would  give him the platform to impress etc etc - Clearly sold the idea well to Leko as this was six weeks or so ago and Leko has been asking for and watching DVD s of all our games etc (Which impressed me I have to say - great attitude / professionalism from Leko)

LJ in or LJ out it is nice to know we have someone who so clearly cares about our club... There are very few managers I know of in the football league that would go to this amount of effort to sign somebody, especially a kid. The only one I've seen personally do it is Paul Tisdale at Exeter, glad we are in caring hands at least.

14 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

The idea of hosting it prior to a match is brave. There would be a competition on here amongst users for the first person to post that LJ had "taken his eye off the ball" if we were to lose said game.

The event was promoted in BCFC emails on August 25th and September 2nd.

Didn't realise that, were these general BCFC emails (including ticket promotions) or specifically about the QnA?

12 minutes ago, hodge said:

Perhaps LJ wanted to be watching other games at those times? League 1 games are still on so perhaps he wanted to go watch, similarly us playing on Fridays means he could go watch another championship game potentially.

Also Cardiff isn't a midday kick off :thumbsup:

All the kick off changes get a bit much... That's the 2nd change technically!

Still yeah an opportunity would abound to scout at another game but I still think that weekend could have been an ideal slot. Evenmoreso with it being a Friday!

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Quick quiz question / opinions before I forget and answer is bugging me !

Last night MA alluded to making a couple of signings influenced by fan opinions which he admitted may have been a mistake

Tomlin was clearly one , but anyone an idea / opinion who was the other ?

Matthews

If so, just goes to show that the management team DO know better than the fans after all!

JOHNSON IN

27 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Bids for Bobby Reid has to be a massive lie cos he's not good enough :whistle:

Were they substantial bids? Presumably not.

If they were bids of any real substance, why would one not be accepted - SL has said all players have their price and we shouldn't become too attached to individual players after all.

The assumption must be that although BR's early headline making form (naturally) attracted plenty of interest, the bids were still all at a fairly low level, hence rejected.

3 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Matthews

Thanks

:facepalm:

Says it all that I'd forgotten about him !!!!

I bet the day he went into training without those two he felt twice as relaxed and had a smile on his face 

Think they should also take a 'due diligence' slap though - I expressed concerns over LT when we were looking like signing him permanently and that was merely what I'd read and heard about him as a football fan

They are professionally employed in the game and have hundreds of contacts and sources available to them

They made a bad call / gamble on both LT and AM and if I'm honest I thougt the fan influence mention was either a very honest admission of their mistakes or an attempt to dilute the blame - to be fair it was a brief mention and difficult to ascertain which

55 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I live 15 minutes walk away from AG but that doesn't mean it was convenient for me to go at 7pm on a Thursday.

I've been to several Q&A's before, notably one with GJ, SL and CS, and found the panel to be so well prepared, and such polished speakers that they easily warded off criticism and in fact really searching questions were rarely asked or if they were, not fully explored. The intimacy of the room meant the panel seemed to charm the few dozen or so fans.

To my mind these occasions, though useful, need to be held at such time when masses of fans have assembled at AG anyway, i.e. on the lunchtime of a Saturday matchday, or a pre season open day.

Apart from that, were the fan base at large emailed about the Q&A ( I know it was advertised on the OS) or was the poor turnout, as commented on by a couple of attendees, actually the intention and quite a relief?

The idea that some comments should be 'secret', or not disclosed by those present is very odd. No chance of this happening anyway, but why make the comments in the first place if you're only happy for a few score fans to know about them?

50 minutes ago, Robin Ashton said:

So, those who went and aren't revealing the 'sensitive information' are officially ITK...

No not ITK or part of a select few.

The way things were put across was we are trusting you and we would like you to repay that trust. And I don't see a problem with that. Hardly anything groundbreaking anyways.

It was nice they did that as it shows what sort of people they are. 

I'd be frustrated if I didn't attend as would want to know but at the same token I would also understand these tiny snippets were said in confidence. 

41 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

Evidence we're in the right hands, or that I've been saying it all along?

Personally I think that's a tad  OTT Emerson's

I think some get carried away at either end of the scale , I have

Just my opinion - I think we are a bit like a racing car that's been prepared and we are just off the grid waiting to see how the engine and set up is going to actually perform

i can see , for various reasons why SL appointed and has stuck with Lee and even I can start to see that if he continues to learn quickly and progresses the journey could be quite exciting 

He could also still crash and burn in the short term

If I'm honest - I still  don't take to MA - I'm sure that he is ideal with dealing with agents - In sure he'd be a very successful agent himself - I hope that he doesn't have too much influence in a lot of the footballing matters , Spends too much time selling up his own credentials for me

Recruitment still concerns me - the question of have we a head of restlruitnent wasn't answered , LJ did refer to Mervyn Day at one moment

It appeared that LJ is prominent in identifying targets (The story of Elliasson was interesting) which wasn't the original plan as I understand 

MA alluded to our recruitment set up had changed but didn't go into detail - My hunchbis that MA and LJ have been forgingnon themselves together with the analytical department

The last summers recruitment has been focused and the best of Lees three IMHO

Is this  because Lee himself is driving the recruitment ?

MA talks well , but you ending up listening without learning anything and I hope his knowledge and help to Lee is as good as his words

In contrast Lee , certainly recently , comes across as genuine , and honest 

If I had to back MA or LJ I know which one I'd back !

Im very much jury's out with Lee but going upwards in my belief in him

He certainly won't fail  through lack of desire or effort

Ultimately he has to show some progression / consistency with performances and points now for me , not ripping up the Championship - just clear signs that we are stabalising and progressing  

Hes has all the tools , toys , backing , plenty of recruitment ,and the coaching staff he wanted

Hes managed to survive the errors and problems of last season and in theory should be wiser and better prepared this time round with lessons apparently learned across the whole set up

i like what we are doing / trying to do with our U23 recruitment , we just need to start heading in the right direction with the first team 

He has a clear ethos / plan / way of playing in his head and having a plan and following is a good base

Whether it's a good plan or are recruitment successfully correlates with that ethos , only results will tell us

Lee clearly believes in his ethos and believes we are close to being successful with it - Again only time and results will tell whether he's excitingly correct or naive / misguided

:fingerscrossed: 

Interesting / exciting times if nothing else !

35 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Thanks

:facepalm:

Says it all that I'd forgotten about him !!!!

I bet the day he went into training without those two he felt twice as relaxed and had a smile on his face 

Think they should also take a 'due diligence' slap though - I expressed concerns over LT when we were looking like signing him permanently and that was merely what I'd read and heard about him as a football fan

They are professionally employed in the game and have hundreds of contacts and sources available to them

They made a bad call / gamble on both LT and AM and if I'm honest I thougt the fan influence mention was either a very honest admission of their mistakes or an attempt to dilute the blame - to be fair it was a brief mention and difficult to ascertain which

Thing is fans would have slaughtered them for not bringing Tomlin back after how well his loan spell went, I think most fans can accept why we bought him and was just a case we didn't get the same player we had on loan. 

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Personally I think that's a tad  OTT Emerson's

I think some get carried away at either end of the scale , I have

Just my opinion - I think we are a bit like a racing car that's been prepared and we are just off the grid waiting to see how the engine and set up is going to actually perform

i can see , for various reasons why SL appointed and has stuck with Lee and even I can start to see that if he continues to learn quickly and progresses the journey could be quite exciting 

He could also still crash and burn in the short term

If I'm honest - I still  don't take to MA - I'm sure that he is ideal with dealing with agents - In sure he'd be a very successful agent himself - I hope that he doesn't have too much influence in a lot of the footballing matters , Spends too much time selling up his own credentials for me

Recruitment still concerns me - the question of have we a head of restlruitnent wasn't answered , LJ did refer to Mervyn Day at one moment

It appeared that LJ is prominent in identifying targets (The story of Elliasson was interesting) which wasn't the original plan as I understand 

MA alluded to our recruitment set up had changed but didn't go into detail - My hunchbis that MA and LJ have been forgingnon themselves together with the analytical department

The last summers recruitment has been focused and the best of Lees three IMHO

Is this  because Lee himself is driving the recruitment ?

MA talks well , but you ending up listening without learning anything and I hope his knowledge and help to Lee is as good as his words

In contrast Lee , certainly recently , comes across as genuine , and honest 

If I had to back MA or LJ I know which one I'd back !

Im very much jury's out with Lee but going upwards in my belief in him

He certainly won't fail  through lack of desire or effort

Ultimately he has to show some progression / consistency with performances and points now for me , not ripping up the Championship - just clear signs that we are stabalising and progressing  

Hes has all the tools , toys , backing , plenty of recruitment ,and the coaching staff he wanted

Hes managed to survive the errors and problems of last season and in theory should be wiser and better prepared this time round with lessons apparently learned across the whole set up

i like what we are doing / trying to do with our U23 recruitment , we just need to start heading in the right direction with the first team 

He has a clear ethos / plan / way of playing in his head and having a plan and following is a good base

Whether it's a good plan or are recruitment successfully correlates with that ethos , only results will tell us

Lee clearly believes in his ethos and believes we are close to being successful with it - Again only time and results will tell whether he's excitingly correct or naive / misguided

:fingerscrossed: 

Interesting / exciting times if nothing else !

Is this something that can be divulged, or something the club wanted to be kept off social media?

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

Thing is fans would have slaughtered them for not bringing Tomlin back after how well his loan spell went, I think most fans can accept why we bought him and was just a case we didn't get the same player we had on loan. 

Have to be honest I wouldn't have signed him hodge , but accept I was in a sceptical minority , and agree the noise had we not signed him and then struggled

maybe whatever we financially with Tomlin might be money / a lesson well lost / learnt in the long run

You get a definite vibe that we are now following the due diligence / right DNA philosophy rather than just talking about it which I think may have been the case  

On a broader note.

Thanks to those who did go for letting us know what they can.

Yes, it's a little frustrating that some information is witheld at the clubs request, but the fact those on here who went have gone with that means the club will be more likely to do such an event again, even if it is only once or twice a season. 

11 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Have to be honest I wouldn't have signed him hodge , but accept I was in a sceptical minority , and agree the noise had we not signed him and then struggled

maybe whatever we financially with Tomlin might be money / a lesson well lost / learnt in the long run

You get a definite vibe that we are now following the due diligence / right DNA philosophy rather than just talking about it which I think may have been the case  

Agree, I never really warmed to Tomlin. I thought he came across as rather stupid and I hated all his ridiculous teasing tweets 'if everyone buys a Loyal Love hat, I'll sign' which people actually took seriously..

All those interviews where he jokes about replacing Flint as the 'face of Bristol' might have actually had more significance in hindsight. I got the impression he saw himself as a much bigger player than the club.

I made allowances for that because I thought his talent was just about worth it - but in hindsight it was a poor decision to sign him.

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

What I found interesting was the building a team of the season from the in the scouting software, question would be are these players, Knockaert for example the players who come out top once we've applied the filters to the data for key performance indicators we're looking for or a type of player LJ is interested in etc.  

27 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Is this something that can be divulged, or something the club wanted to be kept off social media?

I don't think it's sensitive James and was going to cover it when I typed up my notes but in essence LJ explained that he was sat in bed in his lap top , looking for a Knockhart type player who he had wide right in his chosen Championship eleven

The software they use will look at Knockhart and throw up similar players (Totally football manager like) in a list with name , age , club , etc

Using Knockhart attributes  up came amongst a list incl players at top European Clubs and way out our league was Elliasson ( And interestingly Jamie Patterson)

Lee explains he then uses Scoutmaster ? Software to call up 8 mins or so clips of a Elliasson 

Likes what he saw , gets the analysyst to look at him - They go through 10-12 games analysing and clipping every touch

They then give this to Lee who consults JM / DH etc

Lee likes the look and contacts Mervin Day to get 'eyes on'

All agree with LJ , LJ gets Elliasson watched in person , incl hy himself 

Initial queries made about availability / price / would player be interested

MA suggested we got Elliasson because we got two weeks ahead of the market on this one 

Appeared  to have been a process instigated and driven by Lee himself , literally started sat in bed on his lap top , albeit with consultation and use of others views and data etc through the process

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

What I found interesting was the building a team of the season from the in the scouting software, question would be are these players, Knockaert for example the players who come out top once we've applied the filters to the data for key performance indicators we're looking for or a type of player LJ is interested in etc.  

May be crossed wires as I wasnt there, but from another post I got the impression LJ put down what he thought was the best 11 in the Championship, and used the scouting software to find similar from that, rather than building the best team from the software (apologies if I misread your post).

So Knockaert was the best in his position in LJs opinion, so a search was conducted using what was known about him style and attribute wise, which is where Eliasson cropped up.

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

May be crossed wires as I wasnt there, but from another post I got the impression LJ put down what he thought was the best 11 in the Championship, and used the scouting software to find similar from that, rather than building the best team from the software (apologies if I misread your post).

So Knockaert was the best in his position in LJs opinion, so a search was conducted using what was known about him style and attribute wise, which is where Eliasson cropped up.

Would be going against the grain then, most clubs use the recruitment/scouting software to find players who fit their style or find players ie strikers who match the KPI's their looking for such as conversion rate, shots on target etc and then look at the players who come out on top once the filters have been applied. 

12 minutes ago, SDBS36 said:

Against Huddersfield while he was on loan, after that wonder goal the all stadium was singing sign him on, so would have been real out cry if we didn't sign him on 

Yes, but they could easily have said something like 'his wage demands were too great, he wanted £30k a week and we weren't going to pay that' then everyone would have understood.

But sometimes you just have to make the mistakes to learn how to do the right things. I doubt if we will get caught like that again anytime soon.

Archived