IGNORED

Q and A tonight

Phileas Fogg

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I agree the club is in a healthy position - thanks to Lansdown's largesse. I agree his strategies are now being implemented thanks to all his management employees "singing from the same hymn sheet".

This is all much better than most of the 40 odd years I've been watching. 

But whether these strategies and all this polished talk actually bear fruit on the football pitch... well, I'll wait and see.

Can we finally become a solid, competitive, serious Championship side? We've not managed that since the mid 1970s. I have my doubts about the ability of the current coaching and playing staff to achieve that but will be very happy if those doubts prove to be misplaced.

Here's hoping.  

We are all hoping for consistent positive results but as you say whether LJ is the right man to deliver, only time will tell.

That said, I'm encouraged by the improved infrastructure and staffing structure within AG  and I can't ever remember having that feeling before.

20 minutes ago, hodge said:

What I found interesting was the building a team of the season from the in the scouting software, question would be are these players, Knockaert for example the players who come out top once we've applied the filters to the data for key performance indicators we're looking for or a type of player LJ is interested in etc.  

I took itv(And just my understanding / interpretation) that

Lee knows how he wants to play 

Then picks his ideal eleven at Champuonship Level - from what he wants / likes in a player in the various positions he wants to improve

He then calls up Knockhart and then uses the software to find similar matches in attributes 

(Rather than inputting attributes settings / filters to identify players -(though he may tinker with this as well) -  he uses Knockhart as a template basically )

He will also know what attributes he wants prioritises and can then filter out from the list or by common sense (i.e. Players status / current club / wages)

Quite simple really - very football manager - the list that came up included some real 'names' who are way out of our league even in our dreams - Elliasson appeared to be an obvious one to have a nose at because of where he was playing , his age and relatively low value

Of course that is only the start of a process and it appears s that due diligence , even looking at whether player has a wife / girlfriend , social media use etc all being looked at

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I took itv(And just my understanding / interpretation) that

Lee knows how he wants to play 

Then picks his ideal eleven at Champuonship Level - from what he wants / likes in a player in the various positions he wants to improve

He then calls up Knockhart and then uses the software to find similar matches in attributes 

(Rather than inputting attributes settings / filters to identify players -(though he may tinker with this as well) -  he uses Knockhart as a template basically )

Quite simple really - very football manager - the list that came up included some real 'names' who are way out of our league even in our dreams - Elliasson appeared to be an obvious one to have a nose at because of where he was playing , his age and relatively low value

Of course that is only the start of a process and it appears s that due diligence , even looking at whether player has a wife / girlfriend , social media use etc all being looked at

Fair enough, interesting approach and does leave a lot to be done in due diligence to make sure they are the same type of player. And yes all sorts goes into players when recruiting them, you have a huge list of non performance data that teams look at, do they speak the language, what are they like in the dressing room (if you know someone who has played with them), attitude on the training ground, where are they from, do they have any immediate family near your club etc. Clubs may not go through all of it but you can guarantee lots of clubs will go through a checklist that includes some or most, as you said with social media some players get a tick if they have a lot of followers and are active as it will then help promote the club. 

7 minutes ago, hodge said:

Fair enough, interesting approach and does leave a lot to be done in due diligence to make sure they are the same type of player. And yes all sorts goes into players when recruiting them, you have a huge list of non performance data that teams look at, do they speak the language, what are they like in the dressing room (if you know someone who has played with them), attitude on the training ground, where are they from, do they have any immediate family near your club etc. Clubs may not go through all of it but you can guarantee lots of clubs will go through a checklist that includes some or most,

as you said with social media some players get a tick if they have a lot of followers and are active as it will then help promote the club. 

But more to do with getting a vibe about the player , their interests , priorities and lifestyle

If you have Instagram - have a look at Pisanos

Comes across that he has two massive passions that totally dominate his life

His wife and children

and his football -

Looking at his page says so much about him

Tick

Tick

Tick

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

But more to do with getting a vibe about the player , their interests , priorities and lifestyle

If you have Instagram - have a look at Pisanos

Comes across that he has two massive passions that totally dominate his life

His wife and children

and his football -

Looking at his page says so much about him

Tick

Tick

Tick

That's interesting - did they use him as an example? We'd never sign JET now based on that!

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's interesting - did they use him as an example? We'd never sign JET now based on that!

No they just mentioned even looking at any social media

Been noticing Pisanos really nice posts (Think latest is thanking supporters and over the International break it was all his obvious pride / love for his family with days out and his daughters first day at school)

Comes across as a top bloke

Spookily I chatted to JM about him and JM  was full of good words about him as a player and character - said when he met him he told LJ 'We've got to sign him) 

Says he's good to have around the squad and his type gives us a robustness as he loves a challenge ! But then  we'd noticed that ! :laughcont:

Pisano keeps saying 'it's so f****^* fast' (The Championship) with a big grin on his face !!

Great signing by looks and sounds of it !

3 hours ago, RedM said:

Yes, but they could easily have said something like 'his wage demands were too great, he wanted £30k a week and we weren't going to pay that' then everyone would have understood.

But sometimes you just have to make the mistakes to learn how to do the right things. I doubt if we will get caught like that again anytime soon.

True but with what looked like low price signings everyone was waiting that one marquee signing

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I don't think it's sensitive James and was going to cover it when I typed up my notes but in essence LJ explained that he was sat in bed in his lap top , looking for a Knockhart type player who he had wide right in his chosen Championship eleven

The software they use will look at Knockhart and throw up similar players (Totally football manager like) in a list with name , age , club , etc

Using Knockhart attributes  up came amongst a list incl players at top European Clubs and way out our league was Elliasson ( And interestingly Jamie Patterson)

Lee explains he then uses Scoutmaster ? Software to call up 8 mins or so clips of a Elliasson 

Likes what he saw , gets the analysyst to look at him - They go through 10-12 games analysing and clipping every touch

They then give this to Lee who consults JM / DH etc

Lee likes the look and contacts Mervin Day to get 'eyes on'

All agree with LJ , LJ gets Elliasson watched in person , incl hy himself 

Initial queries made about availability / price / would player be interested

MA suggested we got Elliasson because we got two weeks ahead of the market on this one 

Appeared  to have been a process instigated and driven by Lee himself , literally started sat in bed on his lap top , albeit with consultation and use of others views and data etc through the process

Where as Neil Warnock knows what it takes to get out of this league and uses his knowledge and experience. 

6 hours ago, cityfan said:

The most impressive thing about last night was Lee Johnson.

He is very affable, engaging, relaxed, humorous and in my opinion, very detailed and knowledgeable on the game.  I think City were right to keep him in his job last year and he appears to me, the consummate professional with a wise head on his shoulders. I'm sure he knows how to deal with the players as well as the press. You only had to listen to him and some of the situational events he used as examples to understand this.

There was a lot of discussion around risk/reward in the decision making process and a significant amount around data to help improve the decision making process, prior to watching a player and then sitting down with a player to see if indeed, they are a good fit for the club.  It struck me how much football is now business, not just at board level as is always spoken about, but definitely at Manager and Assistant Manager level and with the coaching staff too. His role is developing fast and if he was in industry, outside of football, then you would say that his knowledge and ability to deliver is high.  Clearly the managers role has changed tremendously over the last 5+ years and the commitment and understanding required to execute this job is immense.  Equally, he is lucky (if that is the right word) to be able to perform this role in what I think is a very exciting work place with serious headroom for upside and a massive amount of personal satisfaction.  What a great job to have!

He is a young man (36) and in my eyes is 100% a good fit for the clubs aspirations going forward and the way those aspirations are being channelled. I hope they run these events quarterly as it was a very interesting forum and educational too.  You come away with appreciation and recognition which is far better than just moaning about results.  Few people in life win all of the time.

Had City wanted the nearest thing to a guarantee for success then they should have hired Neil Warnock when Lee's father lost his job. There is no denying Warnock's success rate, but I am assuming that personalities didn't gel even though Warnock publicly declared he would liked to manage City.  Would that have mattered though for a £100 million Premier League Jackpot?

Regardless and as with all business, it is a journey and progression in line with expectation, opportunity and reality is the name of the game. Lee Johnson in charge, based on what I observed last night, looks like progression to me.

I still think we should have appointed Warnock after Cotterill. We could have brought someone like Johnson in to develop with him. 

6 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

One has to wonder what the real point in it is though PF, when only 50 people turn up. Is it even worth the time of LJ/MA? I remember Lansdown and GJ doing a couple in the Dolman exhibition hall where several hundred people attended. What exactly is the benefit in a q & a which is barely publicised beforehand and then receives little or no media attention afterwards, therefore we are relying on being told by those that were there what happened. Why was the rugby one streamed on social media but not ours? There has always been live tweeting from Adam of the previous ones with SC, SOD etc... 

I'm afraid it does come across a little as simply a box ticking exercise. Or possibly protecting the current manager from being exposed?

To be honest @Kid in the Riot I was disappointed in the numbers and disappointed in myself for not turning up. I didn't go purely because I thought it would be too busy and difficult to get involved. Hopefully the good  feedback on here will encourgae more people to  a similar event, they may have tried to control numbers by the way it was advertised. There is a group of supporters on here though who constantly claim  that the club is not communicative with the average fan, so I think the club should be applauded for using any forum they can to improve that image.

6 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

;)

Likewise your good summary and good explanations about the slides and video have been fairvand well made - 

What struck me last night is the non public story of last season would make a very interesting read - the off pitch issues clearly had a marked effect and combined with obvious mistakes which , I've noticed LJ is beginning to recognise and address (Mentioned again last night about 'over coaching') may explain the mid season car crash

I came away believing that he desperately wants to succeed and will do everything he can to do so (I do wonder whether all the 'toys' complicate matters at times , especially as a young learning manager)

I'm not totally sold that we have all the right staff to maximise both coaching and recruitment to make the plan / ethos a success but we are trying to follow a plan professionally 

I also came away thinking that JMs appointment (Which I was very sceptical of) was actually a very good one that seems to have had a positive effect for Lee

I do have the feeling that it may not be any middle ground with Lee - You can see that because he's young and keen to utilise modern technology and , I'd suggest still on a massive learning curve , that if he hangs in there and develops any progress may be quite exciting and suddenly hit some heights

I can still see there is a chance that he may crash and burn before that but I dont see 5 yrs mediocrity with him - think it may be one or other !!!! 

Im certainly curious about the revolution and modernisation of the club 

The harsh reality though lies in results and think we will all know where we are, on the pitch in another ten games or so

Couldn't make last night but reading this I wish I could. Fair to say you have been very unconvinced by him in the past. He must have been really convincing last night. Shame if it doesn't get broadcast as it could do him wonders. 

20 hours ago, shelts said:

Really enjoyed tonight . Massive thank you to the club for putting on the night. More of a feel for what the club are trying to achieve and the way they have to go about it. All four spoke very well as you'd expect. 

Not really, I met Dean Holden at the Bath Half Marathon and he came across as awkward, shy and not very confident. Mind you I think we'd lost just about every game since he arrived at the time so no wonder his confidence was low. 

I would loved to have gone but I'm laid up a long way from Brizz. Whatever people think short of SL that was a good turnout by the club, hopefully next time the room will be packed. 

As much as I was peed off by the events of last season there are signs of a brighter future. The notable kids are making impacts and I fully expect to see a couple back in January.

the AF situation is dead for now and we can all concentrate on the league if you can pardon the pun. 

Was the secret information that we are going to win tomorrow ?

18 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

People not really interested don't need an event.

You keep saying this despite people explaining the reasons they couldn't attend. I had family commitments, hope that was a good enough reason for you and I bet I'm not alone. Work, travel, illness are all valid reasons too. Do you really think people who spend a lot if time on here aren't interested in the club? 

17 minutes ago, redapple said:

Not really, I met Dean Holden at the Bath Half Marathon and he came across as awkward, shy and not very confident. Mind you I think we'd lost just about every game since he arrived at the time so no wonder his confidence was low. 

I wasn't at the Bath half so can't comment . Last night he did what he had to do and came across well. Quite obvious the wrong setting for him, chatting at the end he was far more relaxed 

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

You keep saying this despite people explaining the reasons they couldn't attend. I had family commitments, hope that was a good enough reason for you and I bet I'm not alone. Work, travel, illness are all valid reasons too. Do you really think people who spend a lot if time on here aren't interested in the club? 

People did not turn up because they new it was a politically correct rigged up event. With Adam Baker as moderator it would have been given a go.

I think it's a disgrace that this event clashed with The Flyers first pre-season friendly! :P

Its the kind of event I'd have like to go to.  Interestingly the Flyers Season Card holders have an event on Monday to introduce the players, sponsors etc.  I'm gonna go to that.

Thanks to all who went and shared the Q&A in some great detail.  I like that some of you gave been very honest, because I know your views!

Perhaps the small attendance helped the evening?  Well done you bunch who took the time and effort.

Apologies for the delay but aim going to try and provide a thorough and accurate account of the Q & A session from last night (Without comment) for those that couldn't be there but are interested 

The Club were keen that it was an openly answered session (And was a great thing to do IMHO) and didn't involve streaming etc, so as hope I've got the balance between spreading the word for those that couldn't go and respecting MA / LJ / JM / DH and  their wishes around anything that could be sensitive - don't want to spoil,what was ,a very interesting and good thing

I am going to,leave the odd minor thing out where an obvious concern about social media was expressed and although these bits were interesting don't think you've missed out on any juicy bits ! 

If anyone who went last night thinks I've included anything that shouldn't be shared please let me know and it will edit if necessary 

(Apologies for the type size - typed it on notepad and can't seem to change it after pasting)

----------

Part One

Lisa Knights opened by explaining that the Q&A was not being streamed or put on Social Media as they wanted to be able to answer questions as openly as possible 

(Where they indicated concerns about discussion on Social Media I will try and respect this and leave some odd bit / detail out - but please don't think there are any 'bombshells' that were spoken about but to be kept secret)

Lisa Knights highlighted that the next FANS meeting is on Sept 18th when MA and John Lansdown will be in attendance and s another good opportunity for fans to engage

The first question was from a supporter who wanted to know how the data is gathered about no of passes , distance run etc etc

JM explained the use GPR vests in training and the use of pro zone on match days etc and explained that there were 8 or 9 camera installed at AG to 'track' the players and produce numerous stats , distance run, how many high intensity runs , acceleration, deceleration , touches , successful passes , unsuccessful passes etc

LJ then spoke and confirmed that there was a wealth of data available 

He explained how it could effect the mindset and explained that when he played , his role was to link play and that in a successful side he , as a central midfielder , 'linking' would expect to make 70-80 passes a game with % 25 (IIRC) being forward passes 

He said stats could provide a false picture using an example of someone who's run 11k in a game but because he / we were constantly chasing the ball and inferred that data needs to be understood deeper than actual numbers

He said that they use the data in recruitment to try and recruit players who fit into the way we play

(Didn't go into examples but clearly , and common sense suggests we don't want a player who may be a trickster but ,who doesn't track , close down or be busy as he wouldn't fit how we want to play) (that's my example not LJs)

LJ said it was how you interpret the data / stats that was the most important thing and gave the example,of a player who might only have 8 touches in a game , and score 3 goals

LJ said there were all sorts of tools on offer (Thought he might be referring to LT ! For a moment) and that we'd be mad not to utilise them and try and 'get ahead of the game' particularly with a young coaching staff and the analysts we have available in the recruiting and analytical departments, (analysing our performance and opponents)

LJ explained that he gets a report / analysis after each game an inch or so thick which takes 45-60 mins to read through and said the perception of a performance doesn't match the actual performance and said he this was the bit he had to 'remain calm on'

LJ explained that even players make use of the data available and gave the example of a Michael Owen whose agency produced a large presentation pack on him full of data , minutes played , minutes trained etc etc

LJ explained that a manager or player may use the data to prove a point and he would use the data to make a case for a particular signing to SL/MA and sometimes to justify releasing a player

LJ reiterated you have to be cautious with stats alone and how important it was for a player to go out with confidence and knowing / understanding his role 

LJ talked about noticing and realising players were fatiguing and the dilemma whether to keep player on who may/ can keep going or whether they are literally out on their feet and to make a substitution 

LJ used FD as an example and explained it was a big adjustment to go from French football to Championship football and the role he was being asked to perform here compared to what was expected of him in France

Said that they'd noticed he was excellent for an hour or so but tailed off and said initially they didn't have the players to change it , (and were overloading fatigue with fatigue and were getting less minutes out of him each game) but now have players to change it with Woodrow brought in , Matty Taylor coming back and now Leko giving another option with great pace. 

LJ said it was a shame MD was still out because he was a great plan B 

LJ said that sometimes you don't go off any of it and go off instinct as the data and stats can bamboozle

There was a further discussion about Michael Owen and that sort of deal with a player who had suffered injuries and Alan admitted they took such a 'gamble' on Joel Ekstrand who had been a top player in Championship and was the best available quality in our wage bracket at the time and were hoping to get and keep him fit , but admitted that on this occasion it had not worked

LJ said they had learned not to sign injured players

LJ explained that Gustav had been injured and out for 6/7 weeks when he arrived and never really got ahead of the game compared to teammates and then maybe lost a bit of confidence and the other players probably didn't believe in him as much as they could of done or should have done as they would have done if he was like he is now

There was a question about diet which DH addressed and explained about players taking in carbs and protein at the right times , how much attention was paid to it these days and even how they would be asking Reading if they could supply a high quality meal for post match on Saturday on the journey back to Bristol, and if not would cater this themselves

A supporter then pointed out that due diligence  in recruiting was often mentioned and asked whether they'd accept due diligence was not done in respect of Gus Engvall, that we had seen little of him and what their views were on a return on the £ investment and why due diligence wasn't done

LJ explained that we need to remember how we are trying to improve and it's all about a sustainable future and said it was the reason he came in and probably the reason he was still here , as it's very important to SL that the club has a chance of sustained success moving forward

LJ pointed out that %90 of our signings are under 24/25 and we are not the biggest payers in this division and %30-60 under 16 or 17 clubs but hey had the power to invest transfer fees in up and coming younger talent and was one of four or five on their list to go and sign

LJ said Gus was a good example , signed at 20'yrs old and having sold JK

LJ pointed out that the recruitment had changed since then and we don't really know yet whether Gus is a success or a failure because he hasn't had the opportunity to show what he can do in Championship but explained that he has to earn that opportunity and the City shirt should be a heavy one that should be earn The by performing well in training initially and then in the side when the opportunity came

LJ explained the difficulties in so much that , as he explained in a presentation to the players pre season , he has 27 players that could be viewed as genuine first team players and he can only pick 11 and that this is a particularly difficult dynamic , particularly with young players as they are all desperate to play, whereas some older players are happy to,pick up their wages and said that's exactly what we don't want.at the Club , instead we want young hungry players pushing each other and developing

LJ said that Gus had asked last season about the likelihood of game time and that he had an open / conversation with Gus and told him he didn't think he was quite ready to 'dig us out of a hole' and had then acquired MD and MT and it was better for Gus to go and get game time and that one of Gus's goals was to go to the Euro u21s and he wasn't going to,do,that sat on our bench and a group,decision across the footballing staff was made to loan Gus out

(LJ explained the days of a manager making every decision was gone and they operated as a collective on such decisions)

LJ pointed out that statistically he was the 24 th best striker in Sweden when he arrived but had gone back and was now , statistically the no 1 striker in Sweden and this showed he'd developed whilst he'd been here but said that didn't guarantee him a first team place alone , as there was competition for the places

LJ said it was a bit like a house purchase in that you don't know whether it's been a success until you get to the point where you sell, release or offer a new contract

said that if he comes back and rips up,the Championship and gets sold for £5m or goes for £3mto Dutch League having excelled in the Swedish League he can be regarded as a success but If ends up,being sold for £500k not so, but that it was swings and roundabouts and moving Joe Bryan from left wing to left back had now resulted in him being probably worth £5-10m and regarded as one of the best three left backs in Championship, also pointed out the profit made on JK and explained we will win some and lose some

LJ explained if you sign someone he like Dwight Gayle you know he's going to,produce as he's already done so but explained 'We can't afford those type of players' so we have to , in some way , 'take an educated gamble'

the original questioner again asked whether we had done due diligence on Gus and MA answered 'Yes .....yes , yes,  yes' explaining we were in what he regarded as the fifth most competitive league on the planet and probably the first or second most 'difficult' with eight clubs in receipt of parachute payments and a number of clubs with overseas investors who are putting a lot of money into clubs

Ma highlighted Wolves / Villa and Birmingham just in the Midlands alone , and all under foreign ownership / investment , almost competing to see who can put the most money in

MA he has spent the majority of his career in this league and said this division is brutal and every club he's been at I've got out of this division, and there's a reason for that , there's a method in our approach'

MA said they don't get every decision right but come in each day with a good work ethic , a plan and methodology on how their going to do things

MA said that recruitment and recruitment of players is singularly the most important part of their plan because if they get that wrong consistently , no matter how good the coaching staff are 'We will fail'

MA reminded us that GE was purchased from the foreign market and the reason that we are recruiting in the foreign market is because the UK market is 'Ridiculously inflated and I mean ridiculously inflated' and some odpf the numbers spent by Clubs in this division that are supposed competitors of ours in this window have been absurd , crazy in his opinion and that we can't fish in that pond and from their list of targets at the start of the summer gradually we were being outgunned and some of the money is just silly and he would not recommend to SL and the board that 'we spend that type of money on those type of players' and we have to recruit our players from other ponds , rivers and lakes and abroad is one of those ponds and they do due diligence but can never be sure how those players from abroad will react physically and mentally to the Championship

said they were learning and evolving and putting their own weighting system in to gauge whether a foreign recruit may cope with Championship

Said that Pisano had come in , loves a challenge, and adapted but they've learnt that some , especially the younger ones find it harder to adapt to the demanding Championship

MA said that no stone was left unturned in respect of Gus but repeated that they can never be sure how they will adapt physically and mentally to the Championship

MA said he's not involved in talent ID / recruitment , that there was a team of people involved , with the final decision Lees , and the finances sat with him (MA) through to the board and SL and that contract negotiations were also his (MAs) responsibility and that ultimately they work as a team

---------

Will,post the next part when I've typed it up 

1 hour ago, bristolcitysweden said:

He should have been leading the event and there would have been relevant questioins forwarded.

50 odd people will be used as an excuse to close the event down. Should never be an event.

I really don't know what your point is.

Lisa Knights had no advance knowledge of the forthcoming question. It was simply a case of raising your hand and LK coming to you with the microphone.

If AB had been walking the floor with a microphone what would the difference have been? Apart from he probably wouldn't have been wearing a skirt.

Archived