IGNORED

Q and A tonight

Phileas Fogg

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Sounds like he's genuinely really excited by him based on accounts from tonight. Guess it's a case of breaking him in gently.

Did anyone ask about Diedhiou? Thought a few may ask questions about his performances and value for money 

Was a bit frustrating PF - So many questions that could have been asked but obviously time was limited and Mark Ashton rattled on about recruitment for a while and we also had a bit of a demo / explanation about some of the data used in recruitment and player analysis as well as the 'Bristol City Promotional film' they use to 'sell' the club

Can I just check, that all those who come on here, spouting off about how "disengaged" they feel and those who claim the club treat us with "contempt" by not being more open with supporters, all turned up and embraced this opportunity..?

Just a quick one on Eliasson - Asked how we get to players 'first' According to Mark Ashton a Premier League Club rung us on the day we signed Eliasson and asked if we were signing him 

We said 'yes' and they said 'Oh ok - we will keep an eye on him and if he does well we will come and get him from you'

:blink: (Sounded slightly strange  to me but maybe not)

( It was pointed out that the same was said about Gustav :laughcont: and MA didn't appear to wild about that observation :laughcont: )

On a positive note , will,post more tomorrow - thought LJ came across as very genuine , realistic and sensible and have a feeling JMc is sharp and a good one to have alongside ,)

Dean Holden didn't say much 

And I'm afraid MA comes across as a good talker , lots of 'strategy' and 'implementation' speak without real substance

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Just a quicjpk one on Eliasson - Asked how we get to players 'first' According to Mark Ashton a Premier aleaguemClub rung on the day we signed Eliasson and asked if we were signing him 

We said 'yes' and they said 'Oh ok - we will keep an eye on him and if he does well we will come and get him from you'

:blink: (Sounded slightoynstrange to me but maybe not)

( It was pointed out that the same was said about Gustav :laughcont: and MA didn't appear to wild about that observation :laughcont: )

You sure you werent at the bar BBSB? :whistle:

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Was a bit frustrating PF - So many questions that could have been asked but obviously time was limited and Mark Ashton rattled on about recruitment for a while and we also had a bit of a demo / explanation about some of the data used in recruitment and player analysis as well as the 'Bristol City Promotional film' they use to 'sell' the club

Sounds great and very interesting. What's the film like? Interested how they get the 'feel' right when the audience is players

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Can I just check, that all those who come on here, spouting off about how "disengaged" they feel and those who claim the club treat us with "contempt" by not being more open with supporters, all turned up and embraced this opportunity..?

I think actually on the playing side we're pretty transparent. At times last season LJ was probably, if anything, too candid about things.

We get those long interviews with Tinnion and LJ often is a guest on Twentyman. Not really any problems there.

Think the club could improve with engagement in other areas though. Don't think FAN is as effective as it should be and a bit confused about the supporter's liaison situation - that needs to be clarified. It's the 'off the pitch' stuff that needs better clarity and engagement.

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Just a quicjpk one on Eliasson - Asked how we get to players 'first' According to Mark Ashton a Premier aleaguemClub rung on the day we signed Eliasson and asked if we were signing him 

:blink: (Sounded slightoynstrange to me but maybe not)

Assume we will then say cheers for doubling (at least) what we paid for him.

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Sounds great and very interesting. What's the film like? Interested how they get the 'feel' right when the audience is players

I think actually on the playing side we're pretty transparent. At times last season LJ was probably, if anything, too candid about things.

We get those long interviews with Tinnion and LJ often is a guest on Twentyman. Not really any problems there.

Think the club could improve with engagement in other areas though. Don't think FAN is as effective as it should be and a bit confused about the supporter's liaison situation - that needs to be clarified. It's the 'off the pitch' stuff that needs better clarity and engagement.

I thought it was 'ok' PF

Not as impressed as another on this thread has suggested (IMHO)

Expected clips of AG , fans , clips of Andy Cole , Goater , Tammy scoring for City and then United / Man City etc to suggest a pathway up - Bit of a talkover by LJ talking about developing young players and a pathway etc , was a bit underwhelmed tbh - it was 'ok'

But it's not me that needs to be impressed !!! as long as potential players / agents are !

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I thought it was 'ok' PF

Expected clips of AG , fans , clips of Andy Cole , Goater , Tammy scoring for City and then United / Man City etc to suggest a pathway up - Bit of a talkover by LJ talking about developing young players and a pathway etc , was a bit underwhelmed tbh - it was 'ok'

But it's not me that needs to be impressed !!! as long as potential players / agents are !

That's interesting - sounds like the video heavily conveys us as a 'stepping stone'.

That's no bad thing necessarily; until relatively recently I always felt we were a bit foolhardy and gave the impression that we were not a selling club. Felt we lost out in the market due to this.

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I thought it was 'ok' PF

Suppose it depends what (if anything) other clubs do.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's interesting - sounds like the video heavily conveys us as a 'stepping stone'.

That's no bad thing necessarily; until relatively recently I always felt we were a bit foolhardy and give the impression that we were not a selling club. Felt we lost out in the market due to this.

Thing is if we're talking about recent years (be generous and say last 10) how many players have we really sold upwards because they've done well with us? Maynard, Baldock? Bolasie could I suppose but was more of a punt by Palace on potential, but could still count. Either way I don't think we stand out particularly from the crowd of players going onto better things because they signed with us. 

Discounting Tammy as it was a loan.... 

29 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Engvall?

Was one of five we had listed when JK left 

Had been injured for 5/6 weeks when he came to us (Said they'd learnt lessons about signing injured players - said we'd made that mistake a couple of times) , and struggled to get up to speed 

ISaid he lost a bit of confidence and interestingly indicated that the rest of the players lost confidence belief in Gustav

Said statistically Gustav has gone from 24th (IIRC) best striker in Sweden compared to No 1 with his recent spells back on loan and said that this indicated to him that GE has improved since he's been with us

(Don't shoot the messenger - just repeating what was said !)

4 minutes ago, hodge said:

Thing is if we're talking about recent years (be generous and say last 10) how many players have we really sold upwards because they've done well with us? Maynard, Baldock? Bolasie could I suppose but was more of a punt by Palace on potential, but could still count. Either way I don't think we stand out particularly from the crowd of players going onto better things because they signed with us. 

Discounting Tammy as it was a loan.... 

Exactly; about time we operated like the club we are. Best bet for us to be sustainable is to sell players at the peak of their value after identifying them early and developing them.

We used to hold onto our best assets for far too long until they lost value.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Exactly; about time we operated like the club we are. Best bet for us to be sustainable is to sell players at the peak of their value after identifying them early and developing them.

We used to hold onto our best assets for far too long until they lost value.

Agree, the fact we then have potential financial clout with SL can come in if we go through a patch where we're not making much through players. 

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Was one of five we had listed when JK left 

This is the interesting part for me, if Engvall was targeted as a potential replacement for JK rather than someone we were looking to bring in anyway. I'd then say its very good work by the club to have gotten him in given how late in the window we sold Kodjia. 

22 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Far easier to defend than to create

It came across that LJ and the coaches were excited / enthusiastic about Eliassons attacking abilities but recognised his flaws without the ball 

LJ explained , (quite rightly IMO) that they needed to work on his shortcomings and said if he didn't have any - we wouldn't have him

Clearly quietly excited about his ability

He didn't suggest he will be restricting his attacking abilities Tommy or be turning him into a left back - he merely pointed out that on the plus side he showed what he can do and his quick feet and finish at Watford and the minus at the moment that his flaws off the ball defensively had cost them twice , and the dilemma / balance of the two sides - Thought he spoke very sensibly about Elliasson

2 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Dont think weve done too badly from a couple of sell on clauses too.

Yep, Bolasie and to a lesser extent Albert. Imagine this is also what the club is looking at, if we buy players young, sell them when we can make big money then there's always the chance they continue to improve and we benefit from sell on clauses. 

I asked about Flint, and if he'd had a chance to talk to him yet now the window had closed. He said no but he was planning to tomorrow. He also re-stated as did Mark Ashton, that at no point had Flint come to them and asked to leave, he said he'd been as good as gold in training and hadn't caused any problems. 

20 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's no bad thing necessarily; until relatively recently I always felt we were a bit foolhardy and gave the impression that we were not a selling club. Felt we lost out in the market due to this.

What registered with me more PF was the 'in person' selling of the Club to Tammy / Leko 

Said that he had been up in London with MA talking to Chelsea and agents , drove back to Bristol on a wet night when he got a call to say he could meet Tammy if he wanted to

Said he knew he had to turn round and go back up and take the opportunity , which he did - and we know the end result

Said that He had met with Leko and explained that we had a young squad that he would get on with and, our ethos , how we try and play , and how we would  give him the platform to impress etc etc - Clearly sold the idea well to Leko as this was six weeks or so ago and Leko has been asking for and watching DVD s of all our games etc (Which impressed me I have to say - great attitude / professionalism from Leko)

2 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

I asked about Flint, and if he'd had a chance to talk to him yet now the window had closed. He said no but he was planning to tomorrow. He also re-stated as did Mark Ashton, that at no point had Flint come to them and asked to leave, he said he'd been as good as gold in training and hadn't caused any problems. 

Probably because he was scared the club would have "phoned home" and you'd have Tippex'd his favourite inking.

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

What registered with me more PF was the selling of the Club to Tammy / Leko 

Said that He had met with Leko and explained that we had a young squad that he would get on with and, our ethos , how we try and play , and how we would  give him the platform to impress etc etc - Clearly sold the idea well to Leko as this was six weeks or so ago and Leko had been asking for DVD s of all our games etc (Which impressed me I have to say)

Sounds like perhaps the video is something that works better with the "hard sell" from LJ and MA.

Also sounds like a great attitude from Leko.

Archived