IGNORED

Q and A tonight

Phileas Fogg

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Very much a (good) PR exercise with a limit time wise for many questions / subjects

Goeaned more chatting to LJ / DH / JM after wards than during the event itself

Will post in morning with the bits I learnt / gleaned

Thought LJ and Jamie M spoke well , DH hardly had any input , Mark Ashton is certainly full of himself and ...... Lisa Knights. ...... Why ?

Some interesting little snippets though - will post match omorrow .....

Oh ..... and Cardiff didn't know about LTs impending judicial situation :laughcont:

I look forward to your appraisal Bob as we've both been quite vocal about LJ. 

All I will say is he asked for 3 windows and has been backed better than any other Manager / head coach in those windows. I'm still not convinced by the bloke but will give him yet another opportunity.

10 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

I asked about Flint, and if he'd had a chance to talk to him yet now the window had closed. He said no but he was planning to tomorrow. He also re-stated as did Mark Ashton, that at no point had Flint come to them and asked to leave, he said he'd been as good as gold in training and hadn't caused any problems. 

Hard for him to ask if he's in a cupboard most the time... 

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I reckon you and @Dollymarie are secretly massive fans of Ms Knights, regardless of what you post on here.

:rofl2br:- bin for you Robert.

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

It was Eliasson & Baker - just ragged my memory for it. Taken them out. :)

Don't really matter now mate, so many have people quoted it now (the original) that we can see what you wrote before the edit.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Very much a (good) PR exercise with a limit time wise for many questions / subjects

Goeaned more chatting to LJ / DH / JM after wards than during the event itself

Will post in morning with the bits I learnt / gleaned

Thought LJ and Jamie M spoke well , DH hardly had any input , Mark Ashton is certainly full of himself and ...... Lisa Knights. ...... Why ?

Some interesting little snippets though - will post match omorrow .....

Oh ..... and Cardiff didn't know about LTs impending judicial situation :laughcont:

What's a good Q&A without a bit of glamour? Unfortunately, she lacks charisma, charm and humility.

As for Cardiff, we have to be in the clear. It wasn't up to disclose issues in a player's personal life. Unlucky Colin!

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I look forward to your appraisal Bob as we've both been quite vocal about LJ. 

All I will say is he asked for 3 windows and has been backed better than any other Manager / head coach in those windows. I'm still not convinced by the bloke but will give him yet another opportunity.

Have to say Ska

I still have some reservations but I think he is very conscientious and determined , he has a plan and is clearly learning and clearly had a ultimate test last season with 'certain issues' (Off the pitch) (Both he and MA alluded to this)

His heart is definitely well in it , he said that he's there because he buys into SLs philosophy and believes in it and even had a chuckle and said 'And that's probably the reason I'm still here'  

He came across that he genuinely believes we are on the right lines - whether his footballing strategy is the correct one , time will tell - I do get the impression that JMc may be a good acquisition , sharp and good for LJ to 'bounce off' - Spoke to him for a while - comes across as very astute / sensible and I would think would be honest with LJ and say if he disagreed with decisions 

My concerns / reservations are moreso with others at this moment 

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Have to say Ska

I still have some reservations but I think he is very conscientious and determined , he has a plan and is clearly learning and clearly had a ultimate test last season with 'certain issues' (Off the pitch) (Both he and MA alluded to this)

His heart is definitely well in it , he said that he's there because he buys into SLs philosophy and believes in it and even had a chuckle and said 'And that's probably the reason I'm still here'  

He came across that he genuinely believes we are on the right lines - whether his footballing strategy is the correct one , time will tell - I do get the impression that JMc may be a good acquisition , sharp and good for LJ to 'bounce off' - Spoke to him for a while - comes across as very astute / sensible and I would think would be honest with LJ and say if he disagreed with decisions 

My concerns / reservations are moreso with others at this moment 

Thanks Bob! :shutup:

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I do get the impression that JMc may be a good acquisition , sharp and good for LJ to 'bounce off' - Spoke to him for a while - comes across as very astute / sensible and I would think would be honest with LJ and say if he disagreed with decisions 

Got to think their time playing together will help in this regard, Macca isn't someone who was just at, or brought into the club. LJ's history with him (seemingly positive) hopefully helps a lot. 

16 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

I asked about Flint, and if he'd had a chance to talk to him yet now the window had closed. He said no but he was planning to tomorrow. He also re-stated as did Mark Ashton, that at no point had Flint come to them and asked to leave, he said he'd been as good as gold in training and hadn't caused any problems. 

And both he and MA made it clear that Flint had been absolutely no problem , including in training 

MA compared it to the JK scenario who said he didn't want to play for us anymore and wanted to go to Villa

Made it clear- nothing of the sort or any form of problem with Aden

11 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

:rofl2br:- bin for you Robert.

Don't really matter now mate, so many have people quoted it now (the original) that we can see what you wrote before the edit.

What's a good Q&A without a bit of glamour? Unfortunately, she lacks charisma, charm and humility.

As for Cardiff, we have to be in the clear. It wasn't up to disclose issues in a player's personal life. Unlucky Colin!

Not for some at the Club - think she may have a 'fan' in the right place 

:whistle2:

;)

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

And both he and MA made it clear that Flint had been absolutely no problem , including in training 

MA compared it to the JK scenario who said he didn't want to play for us anymore and wanted to go to Villa

Sounds good, hopefully Aden has his head on straight and realises he now has to earn his shirt back given its the first time he's been dropped in at least 3 years really. 

10 minutes ago, hodge said:

Got to think their time playing together will help in this regard, Macca isn't someone who was just at, or brought into the club. LJ's history with him (seemingly positive) hopefully helps a lot. 

Like some Hodge -  I thought it smacked of job for a mate when JMc came in

But been impressed with him when I've heard him speak and chatting to him tonight

LJ can't help it , and  he comes acros as a nice bloke but has that unfortunate (nervous ?) giggle about him when he speaks a lot of the time

JMc comes across as quietly astute , very determined and (professionally)  serious

Has 'something' about him

Might make a good combo and I think JMc will go on to be a No 1 somewhere 

Genuinely think that he's been a good acquisition and been a help to Joe Bryan - interesting chatting to him about Joe

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

No surprise at all, but good that's been made clear publicly.

Some of the posters on here only too willing to think the worst about Flint, and lambast him severely due to their incorrect assumptions will have to think again.

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Like some Hodge -  I thought it smacked of job for a mate when JMc came in

But been impressed with him when I've heard him speak and chatting to him tonight

LJ can't help it , and  he comes acros as a nice bloke but has that unfortunate (nervous ?) giggle about him when he speaks a lot of the time

JMc comes across as quietly astute , very determined and (professionally)  serious

Has 'something' about him

Might make a good combo and I think JMc will go on to be a No 1 somewhere 

Genuinely think that he's been a good acquisition and been a help to Joe Bryan - interesting chatting to him about Joe

I think LJ's little laugh is often a time filler as opposed to saying erm etc 

11 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

No surprise at all, but good that's been made clear publicly.

Some of the posters on here only too willing to think the worst about Flint, and lambast him severely due to their incorrect assumptions will have to think again.

It came across that LJ fully understood Flints situation - Clearly Flints agent has been 'at work' and suggestions of tripling wages

LJ said himself Aden has maybe 60 monthly pay cheques left to maximise so anyone's head would be turned but made it clear that there had been no issue with Aden or any problem with his attitude , never refused to play or asked to leave , good attitude in training

MA made a comment what a difficult situation it was for LJ to pick Aden with all that was going on , with Redknapp suggesting Flint wanted to go to Brum ( I wanted to ask if this was the only indication that Flint wanted to move i.e. Reddknapps claim - but never got the chance)

LJ Repeated how unimpressed he was with Redknapps antics , talking about another Clubs player and repeated it was something he'd never do (Which he doesn't)

• Admin

@BobBobSuperBob the video was produced to address misconceptions footballers may have about our club and city. As an avid fan you are well aware of the ground works, improvements to the training ground and that we aren't some small little farming town. Maybe that could explain why it wasn't as effective on you as it might be on a footballer from another part of the country or world?

6 minutes ago, Ian M said:

@BobBobSuperBob the video was produced to address misconceptions footballers may have about our club and city. As an avid fan you are well aware of the ground works, improvements to the training ground and that we aren't some small little farming town. Maybe that could explain why it wasn't as effective on you as it might be on a footballer from another part of the country or world?

Fair point Ian 

And I guess from that perspective it would do that

Would have been good to include some clips of pundits saying good things about the Club  did include Tammy praising  the Club , fans etc and the potential , which was good 

It was just that , considering its potential importance in the initial recruitment process , I've seen better stuff produced by the Club - It wasn't bad / poor , and I'm no video producer  but could be improved on (IMHO)

• Admin
2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Fair point Ian 

Would have been good to include some clips of pundits saying good things about the Club  did include Tammy praising  the Club , fans etc and the potential , which was good 

Note there was lots of time lapse videos of shopping centres, roads and railway stations and they stated the population in a caption, all attempts to show Bristol as being a modern bustling City rather than its reputation around the country of being a small collection of straw chewers.

5 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Was the Jamie Paterson story embargoed or not, not sure anyone has touched on that and that's the sort of thing I'd be interested in if I hadn't gone (being a sad statto at heart)

LJ used Pattos stats/analysis , and in comparison to Knockart (His choice last season for rhs in a Campionship best 11) (And he did point out that Pato operates on left for us ) and how they are shown on the analysis program and how he would use them in identifying potential signings , as well as in the players development - Will explain a bit more when I summarise , when I get opportunity tomorrow 

• Admin
6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

LJ used Pattos stats , and in comparison to Knockart (His choice last season for rhs in a Campionship best 11) (And he did point out that Pato operates on leftbfor us ) and how they are shown on the analysis program and how he would use them in identifying potential signings as well as in the players development - Will explain a bit more when I summarise , when I get opportunity tomorrow 

Yep, I know what was said - I was there :laugh: - and I found it very interesting & exactly the sort of thing I'd want to hear about if I hadn't gone. Good that he said he's now done the same with other players too.

It's a bit like iMdb, "if you like Anthony Knockaert you may also like .....Jamie Paterson" :D 

Note that although Lee didn't cite it, JP's goal against Villa was in exactly the area Lee wants him to operate in ;) 

Just can't remember if that portion was something he said he'd rather not get out 

This is going to be a long post and I'll try and cover everything I remember and try and keep it in order but so much information was shared it was impossible to take it all in so I will try my best whilst also remaining sensitive for the club's wish for keeping certain things in the room. If I make any mistakes I apologise. 

I think what came out very clear tonight was the club's vision. Tonight was mainly about player recruitment and great detail was gone into about it.

It was said that we are operating a budget 30-60 % less than the teams around us. We cannot compete compete financially in this league was the theme so we have to be creative and find other ways to get the edge on other teams.

We have to excel at player recruitment, we have to find the next Kodjia etc whilst they are an unknown and we must do our due diligence to make sure the players we are signing are the right players that can improve us, take us to the next level and potentially make us money. Responsibility was taken that mistakes were made in the last 18 months and because of that the process has been tightened up. However it's impossible to know how a player will settle into this country until they are here.

They still remain hopeful that Gus for example will come good. He came to us injured and due to that was around 6 weeks behind the other players fitness wise and then struggled to adapt to the English game in training plus adjust to life in England. His fellow players also then lost confidence in his ability and then MT and MD came in so he was informed he couldn't be trusted to play at that vital time so was sent on loan. When he joined us he was the 24th best striker in Sweden based on the statistical data we use and returned as the top striker in Sweden. Nothing was said about his current loan move but the hope is he is still young and may come good.

We were shown some interesting slides about how we scout for players. Others have already gone into it so I won't really repeat. If anyone has ever played any football games we pretty much use a simular system to the compare players features you find on these games. When we inputted Knockaerts stats loads of top players came up and among all these top players was Eliasson who fitted the profile of what we were looking for. The whole stat system we use is fed directly by prozone and Opta stats.

Interestingly our very own Paterson was on that list and the club are using the system to also show our own players how they compare to other top players and what they need to improve to get to that level. Paterson for example likes to cut in and curl it into the top corner. Scoring wonder goals basically. However they are trying to get him to shoot more often from the optimized scoring zones or something. players have brought right into this, Matty Taylor was given a special mention.

The whole transfer process was explained. I'll try to simplify it. LJ finds a player, he will then view some videos and if he likes what he sees he asks the nerds behind the scenes to watch 15 games and to give feedback. They will also clip those 15 games into one video that shows every touch that player has had in those games. The clipped video will then be sent to the whole management team for them to take notes. If they like what they see Mervyn Day will go and watch the player plus other members of the management team as the process moves forward. Tinnion particularly enjoys his trips to Sweden. We will also do a full background check on every single player. Do they have kids. Did they have a mum and dad in their lives etc etc.

95% of the players we put through this whole process we decide to not follow up. Only the best get onto our shortlist.

Contact will then be made with the club and player. The Tammy deal for example LJ spent all day at Chelsea selling our club, half way back to Bristol Chelsea gave permission for us to talk to Tammy and he immediately did a u turn and was speaking to Tammy and his parents until the early hours. Swansea copied this exact approach with Tammy. I guess that's how they managed to sign Sanches haha. We were kindly showed a video that is sent to potential signings all around the world. In the past we were seen as a footballing back water, we are trying  hard to change that impression. 

Following our success with Tammy every single prem club offered us a player. However we didn't want to block the path for our own youngsters so only took up the option of Leko who is the cream of the crop. The idea is to have as many Bristol boys in the squad as possible.

Something was said about we are in the process of planning to improve the training facilities which will be made public in the near future. It was only a short comment and not in reply to a question so I have no more details sorry.

Mark Ashton has recently sold up and moved to the area as he wants to get a feel of the City and what the people of Bristol wants. This was the first time I've seen Mark in person and I was mightily impressed. OK he uses a lot of buzz words but this guy Imo will stop at nothing to get us to where we want to get to and he knows exactly how to do that. Imo if we do reach the prem a lot of the credit must be given to him. 

The players diets were mentioned, Apprently what they eat on a Thursday is massively important as that is what will be fueling their body on a matchday. If we are away like this weekend it will be arranged with Reading that they cook our players a certain meal for them to eat on the coach on the way back.

We are doing so many things that other clubs are not doing and now the football world are really starting to look at Bristol City and paying close attention to us. Mark Ashton described it as we are a rocket ship ready to take off with everyone watching. We are a hot topic in the football world right now. Everyone in football are talking about the young team we are assembling.

Brian Tinnion was given special praise for the job he is doing with the youth players and scouting duties. There has been a bit of a clear out recently within the club so we only have the right people here all working hard and pulling in the same direction. There appears to be a great support network of staff behind the scenes and I think it's worth giving them some praise for the positive things they are doing behind the scenes that we all don't really see.

I think I've covered as much as I can remember for now.  Sorry if it's all written a bit messy my brain is frazzled. 

If anyone ever gets the chance to get along to any of these events or to talk to any of our management team I'd highly recommend it and you will be extremely proud that finally we have a club that has a clear vision that everyone is working towards.

2 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Mark Ashton made it clear that he has dealt with managers in the past, including at this club who have talked the talk but not delivered. He very passionately said that our management team are not all talk, that they work 6-11 each day for example and when they say their gonna do something they do it.

Bullshit.

8 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

We are doing so many things that other clubs are not doing and now the football world are really starting to look at Bristol City and paying close attention to us. Mark Ashton described it as we are a rocket ship ready to take off with everyone watching. We are a hot topic in the football world right now. Everyone in football are talking about the young team we are assembling.

Really?

As far as rocket comparisons go, I'd say we have spectacularly failed to leave the launch pad last season, and so far, besides 2 good halves this year, have hardly reached the ignition stage.

MA really does talk some shite eh?

4 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Bullshit.

Ahh right! So I guess they all do the minimum amount of work and just pick up their pay cheques? Spending all day on a golf course or something?

I think everyone there tonight will agree with me on this, it is very clear those 4 guys and many countless others are working their socks off for Bristol City, they are working 24 hours a day. The information they shared tonight I was left thinking how the he'll do they find the time to manage all these different processes that they are implementing. 

Whatever your thoughts are of the management team, one thing that is unquestionable is their work rate and commitment and dedication to bring success to this club in a sustainable way. 

This club has been run shockingly bad for many years, there has never been a vision or even a plan. It is plainly clear that these 4 are building a club up from the ground and that takes time. People like you may expect instant success but people like me know this approach is the only approach this club can take to compete in this league.

9 minutes ago, SX227 said:

Really?

As far as rocket comparisons go, I'd say we have spectacularly failed to leave the launch pad last season, and so far, besides 2 good halves this year, have hardly reached the ignition stage.

MA really does talk some shite eh?

I can certainly tell your glass is half empty. 

As others have said there was a lot of problems last season, our club kept getting punched in the nose time and time again is how MA described it.

What is important is we have come through that and we are stronger for that experience. Time for people like you to let it go yea?

What is fundamentally clear is that this club, as a whole is a much better club overall than it was this time a year ago. This time next year I expect us to be in am even better shape than we currently are today. Every single employee of BCFC have been made aware that every single day this club expects us to make progress. 

Anyone remember the motto MA is now using?

43 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Fair point Ian 

It was just that , considering its potential importance in the initial recruitment process , I've seen better stuff produced by the Club - It wasn't bad / poor , and I'm no video producer  but could be improved on (IMHO)

Whilst I was impressed that the club are going to these lengths I felt the video was somewhat lacking in quality. It's a very good idea but seemed it was made by a student. Far too much emphasis on effects rather than on the contents which I felt was lacking.  

I just don't think it really sold the club and the City as well as it should have.

The Culture,  the history and the vibrancy of this great City wasn't captured Imo.  

Many players who have played for us have ended up remaining in Bristol and raised their families here, when people move to Bristol they rarely move out. I think it would have been a good idea to have these players in the video.

I just don't think we beat our own drum as hard as we could have done.

26 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Ahh right! So I guess they all do the minimum amount of work and just pick up their pay cheques? Spending all day on a golf course or something?

I think everyone there tonight will agree with me on this, it is very clear those 4 guys and many countless others are working their socks off for Bristol City, they are working 24 hours a day. The information they shared tonight I was left thinking how the he'll do they find the time to manage all these different processes that they are implementing. 

Whatever your thoughts are of the management team, one thing that is unquestionable is their work rate and commitment and dedication to bring success to this club in a sustainable way. 

This club has been run shockingly bad for many years, there has never been a vision or even a plan. It is plainly clear that these 4 are building a club up from the ground and that takes time. People like you may expect instant success but people like me know this approach is the only approach this club can take to compete in this league.

The bold is between them presumably, shifts of six hours each? Or is it really 24 hours?  No sleep?

19 minutes ago, shelts said:

It felt honest to me . I believed what was said. No conspiracy from where I was sat . Taken as it was given . The four of them are on a loser whatever they say 

The problem is they are corporate people, born out of the corporate world, well versed in bullshit and impressing people with it.  It's how things are sold.

I hope you are right, I think all City supporters must if it will result in success for City.

There is an argument that it would help if all supporters bought into it unquestioningly and the club would therefore be propelled further.  Our gullible gas head neighbours characteristically do just that.

The proof will ultimately be in the pudding but please forgive me my cynicism.

Archived