IGNORED

Prem Transfer Window To Close Before Season Start

Nomad

From next season, the window will close at 17:00 BST on the Thursday before the Premier League season begins.

Anyone think the football league will follow suit? If so will it be the same time as the Prem or the Thursday before the start of the football league start?

Personally I've never liked the season starting and business still being done.

5 minutes ago, Nomad said:

From next season, the window will close at 17:00 BST on the Thursday before the Premier League season begins.

Anyone think the football league will follow suit? If so will it be the same time as the Prem or the Thursday before the start of the football league start?

Personally I've never liked the season starting and business still being done.

Agree. I think teams abroad will still be able to buy players in England when our window closes. Only downside. I hope the football league follows suit . 

Whilst this is a good idea in theory, until they had an agreement with the rest of Europe on it, it is stupid. 

Believe the managers/owners biggest gripe was players wanting to leave once the seasons started and being unsettled by the buying team. 

This changes nothing in that sense, once the window shuts and Premier league sides can no longer sign players, they can still lose them, it just makes them impossible to replace & they'll have to wait until January to do so. Players will still be angling for a move until the buying clubs window is shut.

Peter Coates (Stoke chairman) was just on Talksport saying the Prem sides will just refuse to do business after that date, well that's all well and good until a club from elsewhere in Europe triggers a release clause and then they're f*****

I also noticed 5 of the 20 clubs voted against these proposals. Wouldn't surprise me if these 5 clubs were Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal etc, whos players are more likely to be poached by the likes of Barca/Real Madrid. 

If the transfer window had closed this year at the start of the season then Aden Flint would have probably not been affected by the tranfer speculation the club wouldn't have to wrap him in cotton wool and payed his wages in full for 3 weeks without him playing and we would have a squad fully committed to the cause....

I understand that there are pro's and Con's to the argument.

I for one am happy that clubs have voted for the transfer window to close at the start of the season.

Fans up and down the country pay a lot of money to see the club's best players playing for their respective teams from the start of the season not 6 weeks in (Sanchez at Arsenal) , (Coutinho at Liverpool) hopefully the decision taken will encourage other leagues around Europe to follow suit

This is likely to increase the market value of lower league players, especially Championship, even further. 

If after the start of the season, Championship clubs can't turn to fringe/youth premier league players, this in demand from elsewhere will surely cost more..? 

2 hours ago, hodge said:

Seen someone point out its also going to be hard doing this for a first time in a world cup year, lots of players away and not around during pre-season.

Very little time to get business done. Should bring mayhem to the Prem clubs scrambling around trying to get deals done. Many of them rushed. 

34 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

We would though I guess. If the league window goes on beyond the prem one then we could take players from them but couldn`t sell anyone to them.

Yeah, just like teams abroad can buy players from the prem.

I thought that one of the arguments they were using is that it unsettles players (poor darlings), and disrupts the squad and preparation? 

Let's take the Couthino as an example (biggest one of the window). Prem window closes before the season starts, whereas the Spanish window doesn't close until the end of August. How does the Barcelona interest in said player, which could carry on until the end of August, have any relation to when the Prem window closes? If he's going to be unsettled, he's going to be unsettled. Just means that Barcelona can still buy him and that Liverpool cant replace until the next window.

Personally I think that the Premiership clubs have decided to do this, in the hope that everyone else will follow suit and "fall in line".

Actually every other club around the world, including the rest of England, will be the only ones to benefit, as it leaves clubs like us the chance to loan the players that haven't started the season at their Prem clubs.

Bewildered by this one I must admit.

20 hours ago, pongo88 said:

A much better solution would be for UEFA to scrap the transfer widow completely.  Transfers used to run smoothly throughout the season, with only a slight rush before the March deadline for signings. 

Is a Transfer Widow the wife of a football  agent at certain times of the season?

5 hours ago, Taz said:

I thought that one of the arguments they were using is that it unsettles players (poor darlings), and disrupts the squad and preparation? 

Let's take the Couthino as an example (biggest one of the window). Prem window closes before the season starts, whereas the Spanish window doesn't close until the end of August. How does the Barcelona interest in said player, which could carry on until the end of August, have any relation to when the Prem window closes? If he's going to be unsettled, he's going to be unsettled. Just means that Barcelona can still buy him and that Liverpool cant replace until the next window.

Personally I think that the Premiership clubs have decided to do this, in the hope that everyone else will follow suit and "fall in line".

Actually every other club around the world, including the rest of England, will be the only ones to benefit, as it leaves clubs like us the chance to loan the players that haven't started the season at their Prem clubs.

Bewildered by this one I must admit.

Think this window has shown that it makes perfect sense,with the tv money our clubs get they can afford to turn down big bids now and to hell with the player having his head turned. Imagine the transfer fees required to get a player out of a English club once our window is closed 

The disruption point, though technically able to hold the player- a stance I agree with, you would have 2-3 weeks of agitating and disruption if a player wanted out, during the season. That would change dynamics a bit.

In fact of the other 4 big Leagues other than England- France, Germany, Italy all seem favourable.

It's a double edged sword also- less time to strengthen which gives foreign clubs less time than they currently would have to when it comes to resisting bids from PL clubs.

4 hours ago, Rednwhiterob said:

You'd think there's only one division in English football the way this is being covered. How can the PL make a unilateral decision without having alignment with the FL? It's nuts.

The Fl have a planned meeting and  no doubt will do the same,the old chestnut of a team getting promoted through the playoffs not having enough time to do their dealings may come a reality tho

18 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Think this window has shown that it makes perfect sense,with the tv money our clubs get they can afford to turn down big bids now and to hell with the player having his head turned. Imagine the transfer fees required to get a player out of a English club once our window is closed 

You pretty much said what I would've.

I do think there has been a slight shift away from player power, not huge, but a bit...and you are right that if a manager sets his squad up for the start of the season, unless he has stockpiled, it's gonna take an exaggerated offer to sell a player.

People worried about the time between end of World Cup and start of season.

- Rule 1 don't buy a player based on his performance at a summer tournanent

- Rule 2 don't buy a player based on his performance at a summer tournanent

I would like to see some rework of the loan rules.  

- No 'in-division' loans unless full terms of player's contract are fulfilled, e.g. None of this paying 50% of wages.

- shorter loans possible, e.g. One month, 3 months, but a limit on the amount at any one time, and a limit overall, possibly a limit on the total months worth of loans, e.g. 24 months, so you can have 2 players on full season, or 8 on 3 months, or something like that.

Archived