IGNORED

Graffiti artwork in Ashton Gate

phantom

28 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

But that's because they realised how much money they would lose if we moved away. I have to agree  with your sentiments though memories are short. The  Robin could have been made up of more iconic Bristol  landmarks and emphasised the OTIB 

The 3 Lions, The Robins, The Coopers and Mercedes Tower are all included.

It looks better than a plan white wall but I do agree that the centre piece doesn't really tie in with the rest.

I like the idea of it though and wonder if it's something that the club could get updated every summer ready for the new season, just the centre piece rather than the whole wall?

8 minutes ago, Ohbasso said:

It looks better than a plan white wall but I do agree that the centre piece doesn't really tie in with the rest.

I like the idea of it though and wonder if it's something that the club could get updated every summer ready for the new season, just the centre piece rather than the whole wall?

Reading points made. No fans groups or fans are involved. What is the idea? Who does it represent?

54 minutes ago, phantom said:

The style of the robin lets it down for me, didn't need to look so messy being made up of local buildings

Agreed. His style in the right place does look quite clever, if we did want him to paint then it should have been a stand alone piece in another part of the concourse.

To me it looks like the original artists went away overnight and another person snuck in and added their work to ruin it in a rivalry sort of way. 

4 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Reading points made. No fans groups or fans are involved. What is the idea? Who does it represent?

I mean I like the idea of having artwork on the walls instead of just plain white walls. I agree though that it would be good if fans could submit ideas and maybe have a vote. That's why I think it would be good to have a new design every season.

3 hours ago, RedM said:

Agreed. His style in the right place does look quite clever, if we did want him to paint then it should have been a stand alone piece in another part of the concourse.

To me it looks like the original artists went away overnight and another person snuck in and added their work to ruin it in a rivalry sort of way. 

There was a design plan that all three artists were working to.  Voyder and Inkie worked together on everything outside the central square and Andy Council worked alone on that section when the other two had finished.

The result is very much how it looked on the plan. I have no idea who drew up the plan but someone at the club obviously gave it the go-ahead.

18 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

There was a design plan that all three artists were working to.  Voyder and Inkie worked together on everything outside the central square and Andy Council worked alone on that section when the other two had finished.

The result is very much how it looked on the plan. I have no idea who drew up the plan but someone at the club obviously gave it the go-ahead.

I understand how it came about,  just don't think it should actually look like how it happened, you can see the different styles too obviously. 

That said someone else will come along and love it, the person at the club obviously wanted it like this. Art huh, very marmite.

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

I understand how it came about,  just don't think it should actually look like how it happened, you can see the different styles too obviously. 

That said someone else will come along and love it, the person at the club obviously wanted it like this. Art huh, very marmite.

I honestly think it's better than nothing at all, and I almost agree with others here, that it could have been done better.

18 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

It does look better than the comic sans training tops.

Can't help but think that someone within Bristol Sport went to Upfest a couple of years ago and decided to embrace it.... with no real thought as to what exactly it was they were trying to promote.

It could have been an opportunity for fans to submit ideas of their own.......or even having the club suggesting a few different designs for fans to vote on.

40 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

It does look better than the comic sans training tops.

Can't help but think that someone within Bristol Sport went to Upfest a couple of years ago and decided to embrace it.... with no real thought as to what exactly it was they were trying to promote.

According to Ciderheads posts it was fans who suggested getting Upfest and fans involved.

14 minutes ago, Trueredsupporte said:

According to Ciderheads posts it was fans who suggested getting Upfest and fans involved.

BCFC have this on their website:

Stephen Hayles, Upfest co-founder, said: “We were approached by Ashton Gate to produce something to adorn the walls, inspired by the fantastic street art that is seen across Bedminster and South Bristol.

“We came with a few ideas and then we settled on a final design, which is currently in process. Voyder set the background work to the piece, and then Inkie – a Bristol legend – came in to sort the lettering in the design and then we’ve got Andy Council coming in at the end of September to finish the central element."

5 hours ago, Trueredsupporte said:

Yes many times even as far back as when fans were doing stuff in the Eastend and before the stuff painted on the winterstoke road car park walls which the community trust organisation, only after that event and seeing it did not get painted to plan two fans (one being myself) came back to do the other end in the dark of night. Mark Kelly to his credit has listened about upfest which they were at Ashton gate this year but this mural seems a kick in the knackers for those asking to do something and constantly told no as this is a corporate area plus a neutral stadium so we can’t paint stuff, now we see this go up with no fans consultation or brains picked of those who have done this before. Very spoon fed and box ticked.

The 3 artist used are very talented but this is not their finest hour and it’s like seeing your favourite actors working with a poor script.. The robin should have been done by voyder going by his artist Work done at Leicester city. 

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 18:40, Dollymarie said:

So the robin has been made up from buildings/things on or around North Street. North Street whose residents and businesses when we were trying to get Ashton Vale and sell AG site to Sainsbury's threw every obstacle they could in our way, and objected at every possible stage.

I just don't get it sorry, some people have short memories it appears. :blink:

I understand your sentiment Dolly but, those buildings are just that, buildings. They weren't opposed to the club and it's plans, they are part of the make up and character of the area, just as the stadium is. They form part of peoples experiences when going to and from the ground, they are part of our history. Just as much as those residents or shopkeepers who were opposed are history, they will eventually be replaced by other shopkeepers, sorry bar owners. Are people still using the Tobacco Factory?

I reckon it looks great, brings much needed colour and vibrancy to the drab walls. Just like a bit of seating would.

Wow, the club have tried to do something to bring life to some walls and they are getting truly hammered. I would imagine there are lots of walls that still need doing and hopefully the feedback can be to get fan involvement, but jeez they have got a slamming for what they have done to date.

13 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

Wow, the club have tried to do something to bring life to some walls and they are getting truly hammered. I would imagine there are lots of walls that still need doing and hopefully the feedback can be to get fan involvement, but jeez they have got a slamming for what they have done to date.

Not hammered just frustrating that some fans are clued in to this type of thing and yet again not truly listened to as if they were we can avoid all the bull shit in the first place, time and time again I have seen this and time and time again it can so easily be avoided by proper planning and consultation.

Fans told no and now we see this so I can see why some fans are well and truly pissed off.

On 10/1/2017 at 13:58, RedLionLad said:

The wall is now complete.  Andy Council worked up until 7pm last night to get it finished.

Some will like it, others won't.

I'm just the photographer who was commissioned by Upfest, who were commissioned by BCFC, to provide the artists to do the work.

MYKG9087_pe_pe-001.jpg

What's with the chequered flags?

It's not the worse thing that could be done, and credit to the club for doing something, but...

IMO - it looks very corporate, a painting pretending to be raw supporter graffiti. A compromise between an acknowledgment that the fans who started the art are on to something, but retaining control because those same fans (who created the previous fantastic murals in the East End which was going to be knocked down anyway) aren't trusted to be let loose in the shiny new stadium.

So in my view @ciderhead does have a point with his "box ticking" perspective.

When you have a decent logo it ends up as someone’s tattoo regardless if you set out it being that as a goal or not, Ernie Robin got sprayed everywhere on walls; it became flags, stickers and put on anything from t’shirts to tea mugs and tattoos, it was something worth pushing in to a center focal point, I can’t see this Robin having the same impact and as a whole this mural would not pass to become a sticker by the lads to be stuck around to promote the club and these stickers go all over the world.

The bottom two pictures had fan input from design, raising the money to organisation of artist and tools ie: scaffolding and was very much fan lead and the mural in the EE cost a few bob then knocked down with a big fat no for a replacement due to the reasons stated further up in this thread.. 

2F65BCA2-2CCC-4C96-A0BD-06E1C6102657.jpeg

And I'm no art expert but those pictures IMO illustrate the benefit of allowing diehard fan involvement.

Robins the cute nations favourite bird but also not so widely known fiercely territorial - genius to incorporate that notion into what most people associate with Bristol City.

47 minutes ago, NickJ said:

What's with the chequered flags?

It's not the worse thing that could be done, and credit to the club for doing something, but...

IMO - it looks very corporate, a painting pretending to be raw supporter graffiti. A compromise between an acknowledgment that the fans who started the art are on to something, but retaining control because those same fans (who created the previous fantastic murals in the East End which was going to be knocked down anyway) aren't trusted to be let loose in the shiny new stadium.

So in my view @ciderhead does have a point with his "box ticking" perspective.

Not trusted and not listened to and no. 

Could have s point there...

Chequered flags? May be influenced by th ones waved by section 82 in the stands.

Andy council I believe painted/sprayed the center robin with the stadium in the back ground but to be honest maybe voyder should have done the robin going by his Leicester city mural work and recent images he done on the front of the colston hall. Just think this project could have been so much more with the wow factor.

89E4C850-89E7-49B5-AF53-488535E4800E.jpeg

Archived