IGNORED

Graffiti artwork in Ashton Gate

phantom

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

What's with the chequered flags?

It's not the worse thing that could be done, and credit to the club for doing something, but...

IMO - it looks very corporate, a painting pretending to be raw supporter graffiti. A compromise between an acknowledgment that the fans who started the art are on to something, but retaining control because those same fans (who created the previous fantastic murals in the East End which was going to be knocked down anyway) aren't trusted to be let loose in the shiny new stadium.

So in my view @ciderhead does have a point with his "box ticking" perspective.

58 minutes ago, NickJ said:

And I'm no art expert but those pictures IMO illustrate the benefit of allowing diehard fan involvement.

Robins the cute nations favourite bird but also not so widely known fiercely territorial - genius to incorporate that notion into what most people associate with Bristol City.

a painting pretending to be raw supporter graffiti and that is what  it is.  no need to be a expert as  a fan you are expert in your club and this art shows that those painting while great at what they do know nothing about City, its the Winterstoke car park wall again artists painting with no direction. its lacking energy fire which fans bring its lame and will have no life beyond those walls where what CH posts about did and that was deliberate and got fans involved including kids. Can't quite see kids adopting the Andy Council meccano Robin!!

It is box ticking and the pity is BS took an something that was all about fans for ten years and knowingly cut them out. they will be doing their own flag day next first day of the season or last in the fan park!!

21 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

BCFC have this on their website:

Stephen Hayles, Upfest co-founder, said: “We were approached by Ashton Gate to produce something to adorn the walls, inspired by the fantastic street art that is seen across Bedminster and South Bristol that is painted by my mates .

“We came up with a few ideas and then we settled on a final design, which is currently in process. Voyder set the background work to the piece, and then Inkie – a Spurs supporting Bristol legend – came in to sort the lettering in the design and then we’ve got Andy Council from rugby loving Bath coming in at the end of September to finish the central element and  Bristol City fans will be told to like it or lump it."

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 13:58, RedLionLad said:

The wall is now complete.  Andy Council worked up until 7pm last night to get it finished.

Some will like it, others won't.

I'm just the photographer who was commissioned by Upfest, who were commissioned by BCFC, to provide the artists to do the work.

MYKG9087_pe_pe-001.jpg

Where does the text one team make our past and making our future come from?

10 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Where does the text one team make our past and making our future come from?

I don't know, but surely it's not finished as there are two red  panels. Are the Ashton Gate 8 names going to be written in there, that would make more sense with the text you mention?  Just a guess, putting 2&2 together and making 5 I expect.

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

I don't know, but surely it's not finished as there are two red  panels. Are the Ashton Gate 8 names going to be written in there, that would make more sense with the text you mention? 

One team? No. One team in Bristol? Yes. Obvious.

On 01/10/2017 at 13:58, RedLionLad said:

The wall is now complete.  Andy Council worked up until 7pm last night to get it finished.

Some will like it, others won't.

I'm just the photographer who was commissioned by Upfest, who were commissioned by BCFC, to provide the artists to do the work.

MYKG9087_pe_pe-001.jpg

Well I'm just an old Kodjia but personally i think it looks great

51 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Old or young is irrelevant IMO it's trying to look authentic but doesn't come close.

I think if it had to be done with a view to please every supporter with an opinion, no one would like it at all.

The idea must have originated from the club, I would guess on the back of the popular Upfest event(s).  The club (I'm guessing) arranged for Upfest to bring the artists in and do something that was agreed to by all parties involved.

Getting the fans involved was probably something that should have happened and hopefully, all feedback here and elsewhere will be noted.

21 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

I think if it had to be done with a view to please every supporter with an opinion, no one would like it at all.

The idea must have originated from the club, I would guess on the back of the popular Upfest event(s).  The club (I'm guessing) arranged for Upfest to bring the artists in and do something that was agreed to by all parties involved.

Getting the fans involved was probably something that should have happened and hopefully, all feedback here and elsewhere will be noted.

The idea originated from fans. Read CH's posts he is not lying. Upfest did canvasses based on the EE mural seven years ago. Cheo had a piece arranged by fans and the club in the ground seven years ago along with others with help from people around BS3 with scaffold etc. Fans proposed getting Upfest involved with fans to BS years ago repeatedly.

On reflection I quite like it. You can tell it's Andy Council obviously, but I think its characterful. Could do with simplifying a touch, but I think it's quite good. Be interesting to see what goes in those red panels.

1 hour ago, Three Lions said:

The idea originated from fans. Read CH's posts he is not lying. Upfest did canvasses based on the EE mural seven years ago. Cheo had a piece arranged by fans and the club in the ground seven years ago along with others with help from people around BS3 with scaffold etc. Fans proposed getting Upfest involved with fans to BS years ago repeatedly.

I'm not siding with the club mate. I fully understand what has (and hasn't) been done in the past, and who has been instrumental in trying to make it happen.

Ashton Gate chairman Martin Griffiths played some part in it......according to the official website. Maybe he's the guy the fans should be approaching.

6 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

I'm not siding with the club mate. I fully understand what has (and hasn't) been done in the past, and who has been instrumental in trying to make it happen.

Ashton Gate chairman Martin Griffiths played some part in it......according to the official website. Maybe he's the guy the fans should be approaching.

Last one on it. the answer to maybe is he was.

It’s impressive work but I can’t help feeling like there’s something missing? 

Maybe artwork of legendary players through the years in action from Wedlock, Atyeo, Gow, Richie, Jacki, Terry Cooper, Louis, Murray? I think it would look great to fill those red patches.

4 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Those 2 blank windows/doors seem to be waiting for paintings of John Atyeo or AD?

OOPS. Just saw your post Lew-T. 

I agree with you.

+ (Waiting for a portrait of the Manager who takes us to the promised land? Wonder who that will be?)

Or a list of fallen friends? 

24 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Surely that's not feasible? Too many to list and umbrage taken by families of those not remembered. When it comes to being a fan we're all equal. 

Apart from those in S82 who are obviously better than us. :robbored:

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Perhaps each artist should have been given a separate wall…? Each style does appear to clash. AC's robin would look fantastic on its own.

I haven't seen it for real yet so will reserve judgement until then… 

Different artists with different styles collaborating is quite common in the world of Graffiti.....although, unlike this piece, they are usually all painting at the same time.

Archived