IGNORED

When to accept your 5m striker is misfiring?

Fordy62

Now, let me start by saying that I hope this thread goes down in fokelore alongside "Matt Smith is awful". I suppose part of me decided to write it at half time because I'm hoping it might come back to bite me on the arse. 

However, I'm into watching my third or forth game this season and I've seen Fammy do nothing. Nothing at all. It's almost like we're playing with ten. 

Now I know it's going to take time for him to adapt to the Chamionship, but we can't just keep playing with essentially 10 men. Someone else has got to have a go at starting. He isn't effecting the game at all. He's not doing the running that Taylor does, or being a big lump like Đurić (I do accept they're both injured!). 

So he big question is... a storming second half versus Reading aside, when will LJ have the balls to rest him?

by the way, I'm certainly not writing him off, merely suggesting he's earned the right to be dropped. 

4 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

Come on score so I can eat some humble pie.

Does more than just score.  He is putting himself about and tying to link up play.

He looks a bit isolated up top.  But compare like for like.  I don't think Famara, is playing any worse or better than Bobby Reid.

Or Patterson, Or Smith, Or Brownhill

13 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Now, let me start by saying that I hope this thread goes down in fokelore alongside "Matt Smith is awful". I suppose part of me decided to write it at half time because I'm hoping it might come back to bite me on the arse. 

However, I'm into watching my third or forth game this season and I've seen Fammy do nothing. Nothing at all. It's almost like we're playing with ten. 

Now I know it's going to take time for him to adapt to the Chamionship, but we can't just keep playing with essentially 10 men. Someone else has got to have a go at starting. He isn't effecting the game at all. He's not doing the running that Taylor does, or being a big lump like Đurić (I do accept they're both injured!). 

So he big question is... a storming second half versus Reading aside, when will LJ have the balls to rest him?

by the way, I'm certainly not writing him off, merely suggesting he's earned the right to be dropped. 

I think he does a lot that doesnt appear in the stats we see.

There have been a couple of goals scored that came from his pressure forcing an error, someone else capitalises and Diedhiou doesnt get the goal or assist, but plays an important part.

That said he could have probably contributed a bit more.

Well obviously he needs more time to be fully judged, and I know you're not writing him off.

There's definitely a case to rest him but I think the management want to break him in quickly, partly down to a lack of options. LJ discussed him during the QnA and said, like Kodjia, it will take him a while to adapt.

With his fee he was always going to come under scrutiny. Think our system lends itself to forwards getting a bit isolated unless we're dominating. Would like to see him in a 433 with Eliasson and Leko eventually, might get the best out of him.

Hopefully lots more to come from him.

19 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Sadly it's become an all to familiar story with this manager. He has wasted so much money on players it's hard to believe. He has to be the most well supported manager financially in our history and he has done absolutely nothing to improve this squad.

He really is a poor forward. Even players who need time to bed in show some signs of making an impression...

I've seen nothing so far from this guy that says to me he will become a player worth £5

50 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Sadly it's become an all to familiar story with this manager. He has wasted so much money on players it's hard to believe. He has to be the most well supported manager financially in our history and he has done absolutely nothing to improve this squad.

Sorry Andy, completely disagree.  This is the first time, I think this squad looks comfortable at this level.

We have competition for all positions on the field, we have options on the bench. 

3 points, clean sheet and we look like we belong in this league.

Stevo

If a player plays very well in another league and then struggles in a similar league, it doesn't mean the player is worse. There's a multitude of things that could be going wrong - he might not be settled yet, he might not be getting enough service, he might not have enough fitness yet, and still getting used to how to play against defenders in this league. To call him a waste of money now is downright stupid.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

An interesting one. I think he does put a lot of work in and hold up play from what I've seen is good. However for £5m you'd expect him to score more and set up a couple more considering his playing style. I still think it's too early to judge so will see in a couple of months and see what he does in the coming games.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

I totally agree

i was unimpressed with him pre season and I thought he was awful against Brentford, especially when he was paying so deep and out of position he was almost  playing left back at times!

I appreciate he needs time to get used to the pace and aggression of the league compared to France, however unlike Tammy and dare I say it Kodja, he doesn't appear to quickly learn and adapt in order to succeed

I really want to be wrong and I'm hoping he will come good, because a £5m dud isn't something we can afford

.....I will get my tin hat!!!

I said this maybe Villa game but I don't see the hold up play some of you are talking about. Sure he does it from time to time but I think Bobby does this better at the moment. Fam has to work on his close control. Loses it in tight spaces. Add that to the lack of even being in the position to score and I'm a bit worried. 

Not writing him off because I'm sure he's a good player. He wouldn't have gotten this far if he wasn't. Also fair enough I think he offers a presence when on the pitch. Defenders definitely worries about him. That was clear when he came off. Just feel he needs to keep grinding because the league is unforgiving. Hopefully by games 11-12 he'll start figuring it out. Any longer than that and it's more than a worry. 

3 minutes ago, Antman said:

i think we have yet to figure out how to play to his strengths.

Question is - what are his strengths? 

For a solid guy he doesn't use is build and strength effectively enough. He's not a speedster either and ( as yet) doesn't seem to have a goal poachers sixth sense.

He's played six games and hasn't impressed so far but I doubt LJ will leave him out yet. He'll get 10 games I reckon by which time Taylor might be fit again, 

That said if he bags a goal or two on Tuesday all will be forgiven.

6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I said this maybe Villa game but I don't see the hold up play some of you are talking about. Sure he does it from time to time but I think Bobby does this better at the moment. Fam has to work on his close control. Loses it in tight spaces. Add that to the lack of even being in the position to score and I'm a bit worried. 

Not writing him off because I'm sure he's a good player. He wouldn't have gotten this far if he wasn't. Also fair enough I think he offers a presence when on the pitch. Defenders definitely worries about him. That was clear when he came off. Just feel he needs to keep grinding because the league is unforgiving. Hopefully by games 11-12 he'll start figuring it out. Any longer than that and it's more than a worry. 

I agree. I remember fondly the days when we used to complain of our strikers missing chances. A key worry for me is Fammy is not even getting those.

He is kind a jack of all trades at the moment up front, but not really master of any of them; running the channels, holding up play etc. Works hard for sure, and have to hope it comes good.

2 minutes ago, cityexile said:

I agree. I remember fondly the days when we used to complain of our strikers missing chances. A key worry for me is Fammy is not even getting those.

He is kind a jack of all trades at the moment up front, but not really master of any if them; running the channels, holding up play etc. Works hard for sure, and have to hope it comes good.

A heskey sort of player you mean 

Definitely not after 6 league games that's for sure! He's shown great commitment, touches of skill and as others have said brings more to the team than being an out and ourt target man or goal scorer. 

I don't think LJ would have a problem resting him either if he thought it was the best thing for the team. 

11 minutes ago, Malago said:

I'll give my opinion when he's had time to adapt to his new surroundings and a different type of football to that played in France.  By that I mean not making a judgement until about this time next year.

Those days are long gone, for footballers and managers. Instant impact is needed nowadays, especially when this sort of fee was paid for him.

Archived