IGNORED

Changes to the National League.

22A

Now i suppose "The National League"sounds better than "The Football Conference". This fifth tier of football started life titled "The Football Alliance" and to me that avoids confusion with the Football League.

This season's changes have bewildered me though. The Champions still gain automatic entry to the Football League. However this year it's the next six, not four who'll compete in the Play Offs. Theoretically then, the team finishing 7th in Tier 5 could be in League 2 the following season. Meanwhile the bottom four, not two will be relegated.

That means clubs replacing them from the lower levels will be weaker making that League weaker as a whole.

12 minutes ago, 22A said:

Now i suppose "The National League"sounds better than "The Football Conference". This fifth tier of football started life titled "The Football Alliance" and to me that avoids confusion with the Football League.

This season's changes have bewildered me though. The Champions still gain automatic entry to the Football League. However this year it's the next six, not four who'll compete in the Play Offs. Theoretically then, the team finishing 7th in Tier 5 could be in League 2 the following season. Meanwhile the bottom four, not two will be relegated.

That means clubs replacing them from the lower levels will be weaker making that League weaker as a whole.

Not sure if the 4 relegation spots is a one off or staying.

There is a bit of a restructure going on, actually benefits Manor Farm (who went top today) in the Southern League first division (West) as for one season only there is an extra promotion spot.

With 7 teams being promoted / in the play offs and 4 teams being related, every team in the league will either be fighting for promotion of fighting to avoid relegation. Some may well be doing both at some point in the season. "Interesting" is an understatement. 

1 hour ago, bristolcitysweden said:

I take interest in the National League and I'm not sure the changes is a bad thing. Six teams to the play offs? How will that work?

I would assume 2 and 3 get a first round bye (bit like in the NFL) then 4 vs 7, 5 vs 6 happens first, then winners will go on to the 2nd and 3rd place teams.

Archived