IGNORED

Callum O'Dowda

FlintWonderwall

17 minutes ago, FlintWonderwall said:

Im interested on peoples thoughts on how he has played simce joining us last year.

I personally still think he has a lot to prove as he seems to struggle a lot in games but also has moments where he looks dangerous (when he is running directly at players). Cant think of a game he has stood out and was very poor for me today

For me, his best performance for us was Wigan at home last season. 

I was honestly disappointed when I saw his name on the team sheet at 2pm. However, I was pretty pleased with his performance today (probably aided by the fantastic result). Whilst there is a lot to be desired when going forward, he offered consistent and vital cover in defence to Vyner. 

Yes it wasn't a perfect performance, but he certainly played his part today. 

I like him. Great motor and is direct. Runs at players and makes it tough. Draws loads of fouls and doesn't give the ball away in bad areas. His decision making in the final third needs work but if he has that he'd not be here. Even then thought he played a lovely chipped ball to Bobby first half which BR put over the bar. Constantly shielded ZV too. I want to see Eliasson as much as the next guy but would've been tactical suicide today imo with a Vyner Eliasson right side.

Think many way too harsh on COD. He's another not from a huge academy and if you count up his total minutes he's probably approaching half a championship season in experience. He has lots of room to grow and does so many good things that are usually hard to teach. Getting better offensively should be a bit easier for him but he's already excellent defensively and this affords him gametime which he needs. I believe Callum will play premier league football in his career, hopefully with us. 

6 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I like him. Great motor and is direct. Runs at players and makes it tough. Draws loads of fouls and doesn't give the ball away in bad areas. His decision making in the final third needs work but if he has that he'd not be here. Even then thought he played a lovely chipped ball to Bobby first half which BR put over the bar. Constantly shielded ZV too. I want to see Eliasson as much as the next guy but would've been tactical suicide today imo with a Vyner Eliasson right side.

Think many way too harsh on COD. He's another not from a huge academy and if you count up his total minutes he's probably approaching half a championship season in experience. He has lots of room to grow and does so many good things that are usually hard to teach. Getting better offensively should be a bit easier for him but he's already excellent defensively and this affords him gametime which he needs. I believe Callum will play premier league football in his career, hopefully with us. 

He has a mountain to climb before he is remotely ready for the Premier League - he  is not a Championship quality player yet!

i agree regarding his work rate and his defensive side and whist that is important his role is a creative one and he is nowhere near on that yet.

I think from yesterdays game I have a better understanding of what he offers, I have always found him to be quite frustrating and first half they were getting a lot of luck down our right and we were looking weak but second half I thought he grew into it quite spectacularly and thought he was a completely different player he was also a key component to keeping the ball in the last 5mins while trying to run the clock down.

Less of the first half and more of the second please COD.

I thought he was dreadful and personally would have taken him off at ht for Leko. Has pace and is strong but no football brain and was caught on his heels as defender stepped in front of him. Yes he worked hard but has to sometimes as making recovery runs as he has not sensed danger or where ball will be.

all about opinions I guess.

I have had a few games where I thought he stood out. Can't remember but the one he hit crossbar at ag last season and a couple more.

I agree with most others that he needs to improve still but works very hard and is progressing. No problems with how he keeps involved around the first team though as that will help. As part of our strategy I think COD is a perfect example of how we develop youngsters

1 hour ago, hoxton casual said:

I am not sure how many rated Bolasie before he left but COD has a natural gifts including great balance power great engine. I agree he was probably played to help Vyner, but I think he can go on to be a too player. Not there yet.

This. 

Reminds me of Joe Bryan in that sense. It's taken Joe a couple of seasons, but now he's excelling at this level. 

4 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

He has a mountain to climb before he is remotely ready for the Premier League - he  is not a Championship quality player yet!

i agree regarding his work rate and his defensive side and whist that is important his role is a creative one and he is nowhere near on that yet.

No doubt he's got a long way to go. Just think he has all the unteachable stuff. Athletic, big, strong, hard worker and a few tricks. Stuff like his crossing and finishing are easier attributes to get better at than what he already has. 

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`d like to see him used predominantly wide left in front of Joe. He`s always looked better to me when he`s on that side and I think him and JB overlap each other quite well.

Completely agree. Just hard to move Paterson from there. Think he'd be more comfortable getting crosses in from that side as well. Him and Joe away to Newcastle last season were outstanding. We all want the finished article but it's just not the players we are bringing in at the moment. 

4 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`d like to see him used predominantly wide left in front of Joe. He`s always looked better to me when he`s on that side and I think him and JB overlap each other quite well.

7 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I rate him highly. The only thing that is missing is that final pass or final shot. He has everything else though. Some games last season he looked like our best player. He doesn't seem to do it on the right in a 442. His best performances have been wide left like against Watford and last season against Huddersfield, Villa, reading and Newcastle. He also played well on the left of a diamond against forest and hull. Apart from Wigan and Burnley games where he was excellent, his poorer performances came on the right last season. I think he's done very well when coming on this season. At 22 he will improve and I reckon will be our best player in a couple of years. 

Agree that I think we'll see the best out of him from an attacking perspective when he plays left.  

But he did a job for us yesterday in front of Vyner.  Had Pisano been fit, we might've seen Leko or Eliasson.

8 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I rate him highly. The only thing that is missing is that final pass or final shot. He has everything else though. Some games last season he looked like our best player. He doesn't seem to do it on the right in a 442. His best performances have been wide left like against Watford and last season against Huddersfield, Villa, reading and Newcastle. He also played well on the left of a diamond against forest and hull. Apart from Wigan and Burnley games where he was excellent, his poorer performances came on the right last season. I think he's done very well when coming on this season. At 22 he will improve and I reckon will be our best player in a couple of years. 

He was on the right last season against Huddersfield.

Or at least he was at his most threatening points, same for Villa last season.

Him and Patterson swapped wings quite often though.

8 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Which isn't exactly promising when you're a professional footballer playing as a winger in the 2nd tier.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

You must be thinking of other games as Paterson didn't play in those. Cotterill played on the right in those games, and O'Dowda on the left.

Villa last year O'Dowda was on the right, Tomlin(I think) was on the left, Cotterill was 100+ miles away. But O'Dowda was 100% on the right.

Huddersfield was Cotterill, but as I said when mentioning Patterson, they swapped wings often, O'Dowda threatened most down the right in that game.

Archived