IGNORED

john on radio bristol

leadman

Now I listen to this bloke after every game on radio brizzle, but his post match comments today were way off the mark, I didn't think reading overran us or deserved to win.

I always thought 3pts was there for us,  it really boiled down to 2 great chances each, we took one and 3pts it is, we do look way more solid so far this season.

one real disappointment today was fammy, even on the two occasions in the 2nd half he did manage to keep hold of the ball he then passed straight to a reading player, 5 million seems way over the mark, more like 500k, its early in the season so you never know.

anyway, fantastic result.

It was really the perfect away performance. Press them and make them uncomfortable so that they don't play their normal comfortable game. They're a top side so sure they had chances but most were half chances. And while FF made some good saves they're all saves I would expect him to make. They were there for the taking. 0-0 or 1-1 would've been fair. 

They never overran us. They never outplayed us. They did what we did for large stretches last year. Dominated possession but through the back 4, keeper and 2 holding midfielders. Most of their chances were on the break when our young side made mistakes on the ball. This was sorted at HT and I'd say we were the better team second half. Wasn't a stellar performance but we were losing games like this last season. This was as professional a performance I've seen from a city side. From the organisation defending, to the bravery on the ball, to the game management after we went up and to the cynical foul by Baker. All little things we'd lose concentration on or wouldn't do last year or year before. This team will be tough to break down. 

7 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

to the game management after we went up and to the cynical foul by Baker.

Glad to see this picked out as an improvement.

Game management after taking the lead was naive at best last season, and probably contributed more to our 8 match losing run than anything else.

11 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Game management after taking the lead was naive at best last season, and probably contributed more to our 8 match losing run than anything else.

It was like we were watching us trying to get back into it. We saw it out so comfortably. It was all very odd. 

7 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Totally agree mate - in fact I can only remember one game at AG when we really did it well before the upturn at the end of the season. Ipswich at home where we were leading 2-1 and Wilbs & Freeman saw out the last ten with the ball barely getting out of the corner. It was a masterclass in how to do it but we then seemed to forget how to in subsequent games and the rest is history.

34 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

After watching that yesterday and being a typical city fan im already really disappointed for the point in time where we stop doing it!:grr:

First time for a long time, if ever, I've seen a home side have lots of possession and still play on the break. I thought we looked solid and the only criticism would be we didn't create enough from our spells with the ball. Little bit of naivety and poor choices maybe , but can't complain really good solid performance. 
I didn't know the team until we kicked off , so was surprised to see Vyner In  and Brownhill in CM , the pressing and timing of the pressing was good. Manone was forced to kick quickly and defenders weren't allowed to settle. I actually said at one point, they looked most dangerous when we had the ball. The did break quite well and probably had 5 shots on target that FF was comfortable with , possibly one real save. Our one shot on target went in, I'll take that.
Still not a fan go LJ , but he does seem to be getting it right(ish) now. Need to get the balance right and somehow get us to be more of a threat , but most of their chances were from long range so we are definitely sounder at the back and that's using 3 different CB's. Hope we carry on quietly picking up points and LJ proving me wrong.

First half we were very poor and reading were dominating duet of us not closing down quick enough and giving them time on the edge of the box

Second half though was a top class away performance, we closed down quickly, broke with pace and took our chance well, as others have a alluded to, the way we held on to the win in the last 10 minutes was excellent, bringing on Pack was an excellent decision from LJ

I didn't hear him but I'd agree with him in the first half. I didn't think we got to grips with them at all. Barrow in particular was running rings round us.

After half time we pressed higher with a lot more energy and the second half was 50/50 to me. We took our chance they didn't. 

Overall an excellent away performance against a good side. 

Was thinking the same about this guy on the radio. Think he's one of their regular callers. I did agree with him about the first half but second was a totally different story. The guy just didn't give us props for that second half display, we matched them for possession and it even felt like we had more. He was way to complementary of them, although its easy to maybe form that opinion when they did miss some real guilt edge chances. We all see things differently I suppose.

Most of the time he does offer a balanced view and can see why they have him on there, he's got the ability to articulate his point.

Archived