IGNORED

Atmosphere @ Reading..

skinster

29 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

But it was rubbish everyone was sitting on their hands, I saw it in the Match Day Thread, no one sang or anything...... :whistle:

That's what I thought, when I saw someone on Facebook sharing a Reading fans tweet saying "to be honest, their support was class. Not heard fans that loud since Newcastle were here here" 

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

That's what I though, when I saw someone on Facebook sharing a Reading fans tweet saying "to be honest, their support was class. Not heard fans that loud since Newcastle were here here" 

I don't know if most clubs in the Championship take over 3000 fans there, but if not, their home attendance would look pretty poor without it. just over 15000 home fans? I suppose that they are still building that hardcore of fans from their spell in the Prem, you can see with teams like Leeds and Forest that it doesn't take much to get the historical fanbase back, but I suppose they are battling with the Prem clubs just up the road as well.

Atmosphere doesn't look as bad as I thought from comments on the matchday thread.. Probably doesn't help things if stewards enforce people sitting in their correct seats.

Far better atmosphere when it's more of a free for all and singers/standers can congregate nearer the back.

I think the best away games I've been at for atmosphere haven't been sellouts.

I find the best ingredients are.. A healthy but >2000 attendance where people can move about. A stand with good acoustics. A London based opposition. Us fighting either at the top or bottom of the table. A last minute winner and/or a close game with lots of goals. Probably ends up equalling either Charlton or Fulham away.

:blink:

Isn't it just a general unwritten rule in football that away fans stand in general?

Has it changed since I went away? Do they make away fans sit at AG? unsure- because it's a general unwritten rule. Does it vary by club?

Quick Twitter search- variety of clubs, of fans:

bullshit had it myself no fans backed me up sat there scared. ******* football is so shit now. Away we stand all time

most ppl stand anyway at premier league clubs .. especially away fans ... football has moved on from Hillsboro

Every set of away fans stand at goodison including Liverpool so standing at football matches has never gone away

I think the key to it is generally all fans as one stand- that happens not much that can be done really, especially if a decent sized away contingent.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

:blink:

Isn't it just a general unwritten rule in football that away fans stand in general?

Has it changed since I went away? Do they make away fans sit at AG? unsure- because it's a general unwritten rule. Does it vary by club?

Quick Twitter search- variety of clubs, of fans:

I think the key to it is generally all fans as one stand- that happens not much that can be done really, especially if a decent sized away contingent.

Really varies. Depending on our following, I'd say anywhere between 20-40% will stand at away games all the time.

That figure can get to around (at a guess) 65% because there are people, like me actually, who'd choose to stand every single time but will sit if blocking others behind me and there's nowhere to move to.

Much better atmosphere when all stood.. generally the 'big clubs' all stand.

9 minutes ago, Hartcliffe red said:

Was ok saturday.loud at times but doesnt help when people try to SIT in their seat in back rows.stewards were not making us sit in the seats just people who probably dont do many away games insisting they sit in allocated seats,ok but not the back row ffs and moan when someone is stood up

It's shit when the game is 2 minutes old and someone taps you on the shoulder to sit down.... how about we switch seats? Oh no I'm sat in my own seat, I couldn't possibly move :facepalm:

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Really varies. Depending on our following, I'd say anywhere between 20-40% will stand at away games all the time.

That figure can get to around (at a guess) 65% because there are people, like me actually, who'd choose to stand every single time but will sit if blocking others behind me and there's nowhere to move to.

Much better atmosphere when all stood.. generally the 'big clubs' all stand.

Sounds about right and tend to agree yeah. 

Definitely need to consider others around...still think other clubs have more of an emphasis on standing and also that individual clubs have differing approaches to away fans standing. To me though, it's always an unwritten rule.

Annoyingly from my pov,  always got tickets quite late and lowish or middle down stand last few away games- don't get away often but will definitely book longer in advance in future- would sooner be up top.

One thing in particular will stick in the mind. At Palace away in 2011, Jan 2011 that is the 0-0 under Millen, stewards in away end made our block all sit down and everyone just complied meekly. Again, I talk about it often but the numbers game approach. Maybe wasn't as many as I thought but if everyone in that area had stood it may have been different. Certainly helped kill our atmosphere.

Meanwhile to our left- Holmesdale End, that was clearly the early days of their 'Holmesdale Fanatics' all stood, having a good sing song, having good fun. The reverse of the norm at that time in football. :no:

2 hours ago, Hartcliffe red said:

Had the same.politely offered to swap but they were having none of it

I had the same , 3 blokes came along stood right in front of where my family and told us that it was THEIR seats and wouldn't move, so we had to split up, i then stood up in front of them iby chair in front which I got verbal abuse for being in their way !

Archived