IGNORED

Another Bobby Reid thread

extonsred

17 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

If I recall correctly he's only in the team because he's from the Academy. League One at best I seem to remember. 

No doubt this sort of comment will continue to be made throughout this season if he keeps this sort of form up, but people who didn't rate Bobby Reid, had decent enough reason not to. 

As a midfielder he was a 1 good game in 5/6 player. As a striker which is what he's now being judged on, he's been very good. 

Look at Bradley Orr, poor centre midfielder, moved into right back and was class. Hopefully Bobby's form will continue and he'll get us 20 goals this season.

16 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

If I recall correctly he's only in the team because he's from the Academy. League One at best I seem to remember. 

9 minutes ago, Super said:

Not scored in 2 now......

To be fair here credit for the change in the boy is down to a number of factors. 

The main one being LJ moving him forward and letting him move without the confines of a job in midfield. The kid looks class in the role Tomlin would have played if he had the energy.

Reid is now picking the runs and the passes but also anticipating the scraps. Watch Flints goal and note who is following in. 

Good luck to the lad , who knew he was a forward in disguise. He didn't and if LJ is to be believed nor did anyone else at the club. 

Keep it up young Bobby fingers crossed you have found your position. 

Absolute class bit of play to get Pato in for his chance on Saturday

I think we will always have a great chance of scoring goals with Bobby in the team. He is the most creative player in the final third of the pitch that we have in my opinion.

Keep it up Bobby, you played great again on Saturday and your consistency will be key in our fortunes this season!

With regards to BR - think there's a couple of people that deserve the plaudits

Bobby himself for getting himself off to that Summer Fitness Boot Camp that he goes to -  :clap:the results and benefits are glaring

LJ , for recognising his potential as a genuine goal threat , and I'm referring to , and going back to early last season when he talked about getting Bobby in on goal as the third man (Anyone else remember that)

Clearly there was a recognition and work on the training ground to that end , and at the time Bobby was getting in good positions but not finishing - IMO there's clear evidence of coaching and developing in Bobbys case

4 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

No doubt this sort of comment will continue to be made throughout this season if he keeps this sort of form up, but people who didn't rate Bobby Reid, had decent enough reason not to. 

As a midfielder he was a 1 good game in 5/6 player. As a striker which is what he's now being judged on, he's been very good. 

Look at Bradley Orr, poor centre midfielder, moved into right back and was class. Hopefully Bobby's form will continue and he'll get us 20 goals this season.

Exactly. I didn't particularly rate him as a midfielder. I recognised he has ability, but didn't see where he'd fit. Think this role is perfect for him.

2 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Yep. Im guilty of thinking he was nowhere near good enough, I got that wrong. Always happy for players to do that.

Nothing wrong with that , or the change of opinion - we can justifiably change our opinions , as players or coaches change their performances

I think the majority view was that Bobby didn't quite have enough to nail down a place long term

I think he's improved greatly and thus , understandably sensible people will see that and be prepared to adjust or change their opinion 

13 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Nothing wrong with that , or the change of opinion - we can justifiably change our opinions , as players or coaches change their performances

I think the majority view was that Bobby didn't quite have enough to nail down a place long term

I think he's improved greatly and thus , understandably sensible people will see that and be prepared to adjust or change their opinion 

Exactly, always had time for Bobby and thought he was decent, but every time i've seen him this season he looks a class above almost everyone else on the pitch, his touch, anticipation, movement, ability to shift the ball in tight spaces is just something to behold, and something I never saw coming in a million years.

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

To be fair here credit for the change in the boy is down to a number of factors. 

The main one being LJ moving him forward and letting him move without the confines of a job in midfield. The kid looks class in the role Tomlin would have played if he had the energy.

Reid is now picking the runs and the passes but also anticipating the scraps. Watch Flints goal and note who is following in. 

Good luck to the lad , who knew he was a forward in disguise. He didn't and if LJ is to be believed nor did anyone else at the club. 

Keep it up young Bobby fingers crossed you have found your position. 

He actually played as a striker in the academy. My dad was talking to someone who used to work for the club in the academy and he said that Bobby should've never played as a CM, his natural position is up top.  

Although the '3rd man' tactic worked well last season (in so far as continually getting the ball to BR in goalscoring positions) the end result was such a shocking and extended series of increasingly unbelievable misses that LJ removed him from the team altogether.

Rumours of a falling out with LJ, and a real possibility that the 3rd man 'last chance' opportunity for BR had been squandered, and perhaps even his entrenched admirer LJ had finally lost patience.

What's changed this season? The Summer fitness training he attended away from the club seems to have had a marked and positive impact on his stamina. Particularly notable because his lack of stamina has been an an ongoing issue for years with him repeatedly fading out of games, needing to be subbed, or only indeed being used as a 20 minute late impact player.

The other change in him is muscle, particularly lower half, and the increase in both stamina and physical build has given him the ability to compete more, and for longer, plus of course there's the surge in confidence from a couple of early efforts hitting the back of the net rather than - as last season and seemingly every season before - ending up in 'Row Z'.

An incredible and unlikely metamorphosis and all very encouraging. The change of position, and dilution of responsibilities - if it continues to pay dividends - will rightly be looked back on as a masterstroke by LJ whether partly forced on him by injury or not.

All the more noteworthy for a player who was going absolutely nowhere in his previous, long accepted, midfield role, and was correctly evaluated as being far too inconsistent for the Championship in that position.

Completely new scenario in his new position and if BR can maintain this level of confidence and fitness, and keep those shooting boots on, he can go far. 

Well done Bobby, keep it up.:clap:

46 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

This probably isn't the right thread to ask this but I thought I would seeing as you've already praised LJ regarding his coaching of Bobby. 

What are your thoughts on LJ now? You were one of the biggest and loudest critics of his last season but you've clearly come into this season with an open find as I've seen you praise him multiple times.

Myself I'm still on the fence. I'm enjoying how we're playing at the moment, I can see we look a lot more solid at the back and I like that we've finally got a clear system which will undoubtedly help the players. However, I'm still so apprehensive of what will happen when we inevitably hit a poor run of form. LJ is clearly able to maintain an in form team as we saw at either end of last season, but he still has question marks over his ability to turn around a losing team and this is my biggest worry. The apparent lack of a plan B is linked to this. I'm a big fan of JMC from everything I've seen so far, and his introduction coincided nicely with our poor run ending (which you highlighted on another thread) so hopefully his abilities and skills have helped fill an area where LJ was lacking.

As for Bobby, unbelievable season so far, more of the same please!

45 minutes ago, CityLew said:

He actually played as a striker in the academy. My dad was talking to someone who used to work for the club in the academy and he said that Bobby should've never played as a CM, his natural position is up top.  

Yes he did. But in the academy kids develop physically and mentally and it seemed most until now saw the physicality as being a barrier to being a forward. So perhaps there is a combination of moving him back forward while going through the well documented pre season strength sessions he did away from the club...Either way the kid looks sharp!  

1 hour ago, Kotsy said:

This probably isn't the right thread to ask this but I thought I would seeing as you've already praised LJ regarding his coaching of Bobby. 

What are your thoughts on LJ now? You were one of the biggest and loudest critics of his last season but you've clearly come into this season with an open find as I've seen you praise him multiple times.

Myself I'm still on the fence. I'm enjoying how we're playing at the moment, I can see we look a lot more solid at the back and I like that we've finally got a clear system which will undoubtedly help the players. However, I'm still so apprehensive of what will happen when we inevitably hit a poor run of form. LJ is clearly able to maintain an in form team as we saw at either end of last season, but he still has question marks over his ability to turn around a losing team and this is my biggest worry. The apparent lack of a plan B is linked to this. I'm a big fan of JMC from everything I've seen so far, and his introduction coincided nicely with our poor run ending (which you highlighted on another thread) so hopefully his abilities and skills have helped fill an area where LJ was lacking.

Is it not the case that Bobby is paying for private coaching - you cannot help but think if the club were doing such a good job he would not feel the need to pay and train elsewhere as well. I mean this is not common is it ? I have certainly rarely heard of it, but maybe it's just something not brought up but is widespread in the game. 

I was never convinced by Bobby in midfield and I stick by that as he is too lightweight in the type of role we need from him at the moment. I still think he needs to do more in his striker role but the striker role does suit him a lot better than the type of midfielder we need.

He's no Gayle but he has potential and his attitude is what impresses me the most, I beleive he could end up going back to a more attacking midfield type role in the long term.

The outstanding questions for me is would another championship club buy him (I think the answer is yes) and where would they play him (I have no idea).

1 hour ago, Fiale said:

Is it not the case that Bobby is paying for private coaching - you cannot help but think if the club were doing such a good job he would not feel the need to pay and train elsewhere as well. I mean this is not common is it ? I have certainly rarely heard of it, but maybe it's just something not brought up but is widespread in the game. 

He went to a private conditioning course  which many other footballers use I believe during the off season,  but is not paying for private coaching to my or anyone elses knowledge that I am aware of. 

3 hours ago, Kotsy said:

Fair points and A fair question Kotsy 

Especially as some of my recent posts appear that I've turned into a LJ disciple ! ;)

Only fair I answer after my criticisms of him last year and the tone of Some of my recent posts

in all honesty ....... I'm not sure ! in any direction ,, with any degree of certainty and, would have to still describe myself as 'On the fence' but , .....becoming quietly and increasingly encouraged

I would have pulled the trigger last March / April if not earlier as things were looking dire and with the vibe in the squad not ideal I honestly thought we were going down. Lee appeared to be floundering and tinkering and appeared to have no answers and there were numerous warning signs there for me

As it stands , Im definitely pleased that SL didn't have my opinion and stuck with LJ 

Why ?

Although a lot leaked out ,it is clear that there was a whole story / stories about events last season with off pitch issues and without knowing who / what and exactly what went on it is impossible to fully judge how much this derailed our season (I thought and have become increasingly sure that one Lee Tomlin was centre stage in a lot of what went on last season and felt with him gone LJ had a chance to breathe a little more slowly and concentrate on matters at hand with a more United squad)

I get the vibe that we have a quieter more cohesive squad and the general togetherness and morale appears better

I think , in retrospect , the  appointment  of JM was a good move - As commented on other threads I can see him being a good foil for LJ and think both him and DH will be happy to discuss and disagree with LJ where appropriate and the result may be a balanced view and decision and I think Lee is stronger as part of the group,of three

I think LJ has shown that he has learnt some lessons from last season and has made a conscious effort not to repeat them

LJ appears more relaxed and calm this season and that itself inspires confidence , and makes him much more likeable (Last season I cringed at some of his post match interviews and this seasons appear so different , calm , sensible and thoughtful - athis view was reinforced by witnessing him speaking at length at the q&a session the other night)

Im not the biggest fan of Lees way of  playing / ethos , or at least aspects of it  - I like the high press but sceptical whether we have the quality of player to really succeed with the short passing attacking through the middle of the pitch  - good to watch when its running nicely but an ethos that is difficult to remain consistent with or consistently succeed with (IMHO) 

Having said that , if he coaches it well , the players buy fully into it , and we find a high and consistent level where it works consistently the results and climb could be rapid and spectacular - and that intrigues me

Listening to Lee the other night , I think I said elsewhere , he has a plan and is following it as professionally as he can with a real determination and belief and I have no doubt about his enthusiasm and commitment and that itself means I want him to succeed

Its also been made abundantly clear by a number of people at the club SL / MA / LJ that we are not in the market for expensive established Championship players , and thus we have to find of succeeding in a different way

The Clubs plan of buying promise young , and developing players is one , and at least is quite an interesting , entertaining and exciting one to pursue , and again genuinely intrigues me to watch the journey

There are signs of some of LJs coaching on the training ground coming through - In some / most of the games this season you can see that we have a way of playing and are trying to,pursue it , which is always a good start , whatever the plan

As per my comments on this thread Bobby Reid IMHO  is another obvious indicator of some good coaching and work on training pitch 

So some encouraging coaching signs

My main concerns have generally centred around our recruitment , Lees man management , and his ability to tactically outwit the opposition

His man management seems to have settled to some degree and Imhopemhes learnt some lessons from last season , certainly the outing of individual  players post match

The recruitment remains a concern for me and I would describe our recruiting over the last 3 windows as 'mixed' (at best) and somewhat muddled but again they appear to have a plan and method around recruitment and we can improve as we have done in other areas (Tbf MA conceded they could improve elements of recruitment at q&a)mane Imdo,like what we are doing with our U23s  recruitment / strengthening

Tactically I'm still not sure Lee is not finding a rapid learning curve but that is understandable - I think you will find we concentrate on our game more this season rather than worrying about countering the opposition

The stronger squad will help us to keep,our starting elevens fresh and this for me is paramount with the way Lee wants to play and our inability to maintain the press and intensity of play at times / for periods last season was IMHO one of our major problems

Think I said elsewhere I can still see Lee might 'crash and burn'  but I'm becoming less and less convinced this will be the case and just have a hunch that if he finds some momentum things could develop quite rapidly and excitingly

Last season was such a crazy one and we will never know exactly what went on and what effects various things had and have tried to give Lee a genuine clean start , albeit whilst looking for signs of improvement / development

i  think I can see signs of learning and development as well as a self confidence in what he's doing - Lee certainly believes in the plan and the ethos and I think that can only be positive

I genuinely think that his credibility with senior / older pros and , as daft as it is , his actual physical stature , are obstacles he has , and will need to , overcome- he can do this by showing he's a good coach and leader

I like that he is a modern coach and open to any method and form of technology - but I do wonder whether all the toys may be a distraction at times and personally If I was asked to give one bit of advice it would be to use all these toys in moderation at the present time and concentrate on the basics on trainingnpitch and the gelling of the squad

I don't think there  is room for major excuses this season  but all I'm looking for personally is some consistency and gradual improvement , nothing spectacular , and at this early stage , there are IMHO,signs of both of those 

Im starting to enjoy the journey under Lee but consistency in results is key for me 

We will lose games in this division on a semi regular basis , at least ,and it's how we bounce from those (or not) that will be a good indicator this time around

In summary I'm watching quietly , with interest at all aspects , and becoming gently encouraged - Results like the Reading win are massive because they give Lee breathing space and confidence to continue to develop (Wolves became a free hit for me after Saturdays result) 

I also believe we don't have many players yet playing anywhere near the maximum of their potential , at various stages of development and in theory we and they can only improve week by week , month by month

In summary my belief in Lee is slowly growing  , and less importantly , for me is becoming more likeable 

i think the next 10 games will give us all a good idea how we are (And how Lee) is going and personally I'm looking at performances and consistency of performance more than points totals 

Very much want Lee  to succeed because of his enthusiasm and commitment and because I think it  would be an entertaining journey

Think my glass is half full , but with a frothy head on it atm !!!

:fingerscrossed:

COYR

3 hours ago, Fiale said:

He's been using 'back 2 action' for years in off season. It's not a new revelation. Lots of players/other athletes use it.

Not sure if it's had as much of an impact as people think, it's more that he's improved as a player and the new position suits him. Things like that help of course though.

http://back2action.co.uk/

3 hours ago, RedDave said:

If he has five bad games it doesn't mean he isn't good enough and the reverse if he has five good games. Will judge him properly in a few months. 

So how on earth can he suffer a dip in form that will turn him into dross? He is all about running, the only way he will be poor is not being able to run.

10 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

So how on earth can he suffer a dip in form that will turn him into dross? He is all about running, the only way he will be poor is not being able to run.

He has been poor up until this season so you tell me.  And if you think he is just a runner then you are doing him a huge disservice for this season 

@BobBobSuperBob avoided quoting you....we are starting to suffer from scrolling syndrome with your long posts....have you got a new keyboard, computer etc? :P

Seriously, so many good points in your post.  :clap:

Was chatting with a couple of Bristol Sports guys at the Flyers launch party tonight.  The club is in a strong position, really hope the results on the pitch appear to be starting to match....it is moving in the right direction.

10 hours ago, extonsred said:

Not seen comment elsewhere but deserves thread of his own not only for the amazingly skilful and energetic play he is producing at the moment but for the sheer genius of the chance he created for Pato against Reading. Whilst we have that kind of player we are always in with a chance.

Exceptional play. Jamie should have buried that one. No excuses. 

• Admin
6 hours ago, Fiale said:

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He's been using 'back 2 action' for years in off season. It's not a new revelation. Lots of players/other athletes use it.

Not sure if it's had as much of an impact as people think, it's more that he's improved as a player and the new position suits him. Things like that help of course though.

http://back2action.co.uk/

There's actually a pretty decent article in the Bristol Post about B2A's programme.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/secret-bristol-football-training-camp-154748

Archived