IGNORED

Another Bobby Reid thread

extonsred

9 hours ago, RedDave said:

He has been poor up until this season so you tell me.  And if you think he is just a runner then you are doing him a huge disservice for this season 

I don't believe he was ' poor ' as you say but lacking a bit of consistency.

Consistency can only be achieved by playing regularly and BR was rarely accorded a run in the team long enough to give him confidence and get to the required level.

His fault perhaps because he didn't affect games as much as he should have or the club's , who knows? , but BR frustrated, now he amazes.

Let's hope that he can maintain his standards and do himself and the club justice.

13 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Tactically I'm still not sure Lee is not finding a rapid learning curve but that is understandable - I think you will find we concentrate on our game more this season rather than worrying about countering the opposition

This is an interesting point, as I heard Gary Neville's assessment of Arsenal after their battering by Liverpool where he pointed out that by not altering things depending on the opposition Wenger was being stupid, as you have to counter the opposition in order to impose your style on the game or in the case of that game stop the opposition battering you in the first 20-30 minutes and the game being already over by that point.

However I think Lee went crazy on this last season, completely altering his style and systems depending on the opposition, and that ended up hurting team coherence and I think after the Wednesday game led to Lee himself loosing confidence in his style and system, hence the constant shuffling of the team and in turn him then loosing faith in his players and them loosing confidence in him.

From what I have witnessed so far this season he is keeping the system in place but altering the instructions given to players depending on the opposition and situation, for a perfect example of managers doing this see Huddersfield last night, Schindler was clearly tasked with sticking to Carroll like glue, he would often be beyond his midfielders and up Carroll's arse, which meant one of the more difficult forwards in the Prem to deal with was largely neutralised and baring a hugely fortuitous goal I think Huddersfield would have come out of that game with at worst a point.  And I think that this season so far it seems as if this is the sort of adaptation we are seeing from LJ rather than changes and playing numerous formations in a single game (which to be fair is what a lot of top managers do, but they have the players with the ability to make this changes, as a Championship side we do not) we are seeing players playing the same position but playing a different role, within that position.

I think the main thing for me is that we are establishing a system, once you have a system in place personell changes do not have the impact that they do if you don't have a relatively rigid system, and you can change players without un-balancing the side (take England Under Venables as a perfect example of this, it didn't really matter who he picked as the system worked, so he could chop and change players with little impact on the side as a whole)

I think LJ still has a lot to learn but the signs are encouraging that he is learning, which is all you can ask from a young manager, he's going to make mistakes and I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get the odd stuffing this season (tonight is the sort of game that I can see us loosing heavily if Wolves get ahead as we push on to score and get opened up)

Archived