IGNORED

Would Wilson have taken us to the Prem?

tinman85

1 hour ago, Robin Ashton said:

I also seem to remember some pretty boring football under Wilson, and wasn't disappointed he left after that depressing play off final fiasco.

True. I seem to remember him saying he was playing Joe Burnell to "break up" attacks. Unfortunately, he used to break up most of our own!

Nope. He had 4 years in the third tier and didn't cut the mustard...

Alan Dicks on the orher hand   :laugh:

1 hour ago, Robin Ashton said:

I also seem to remember some pretty boring football under Wilson, and wasn't disappointed he left after that depressing play off final fiasco.

He once fielded a team containing 8 defenders:

S Phillips, D Coles  (L Lita, 69), T Butler, M Hill, C Fortune (B Tinnion, 25), S Murray, L Carey, J Burnell (S Clist, 43), M Bell, C Roberts, C Fagan

OK so I'm pushing it a little calling Murray a defender but he did play right back quite a few times in 98/99. Even so, just look at that dynamic central midfield pairing of Burnell and Carey.

1 hour ago, BCFC_Dan said:

He once fielded a team containing 8 defenders:

S Phillips, D Coles  (L Lita, 69), T Butler, M Hill, C Fortune (B Tinnion, 25), S Murray, L Carey, J Burnell (S Clist, 43), M Bell, C Roberts, C Fagan

OK so I'm pushing it a little calling Murray a defender but he did play right back quite a few times in 98/99. Even so, just look at that dynamic central midfield pairing of Burnell and Carey.

Lets not forget that City were a League 1 team under DW with a largely League 1 squad. He got the best out of limited resources.

Who else was available to replace the likes of Clist and Burnell?  

32 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

He took us out of it :sad26:

I seem to remember that even Sheffield's MP called for Wilson to be sacked as Owls' Manager. After we appointed him, a SW fan rang in to 606; "Bristol City; you are welcome to him"!

4 minutes ago, 22A said:

I seem to remember that even Sheffield's MP called for Wilson to be sacked as Owls' Manager. After we appointed him, a SW fan rang in to 606; "Bristol City; you are welcome to him"!

:laugh: Well remembered. Blunkett was one of em.

I actually quite like Danny Wilson despite him taking us down, feels like he's managed every club in South Yorkshire. 

Was part of our 91 League Cup winning side.

35 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Lets not forget that City were a League 1 team under DW with a largely League 1 squad. He got the best out of limited resources.

Who else was available to replace the likes of Clist and Burnell?  

Limited resources!

He spent £600k on Lee Peacock whilst we were in League One (an enormous sum then) and paired him up front with a bloke who had cost us a million pounds.

Bet Colchester and Walsall (the sort of teams that he couldn't beat) had players on wages of less than a third of what his team was on.

He spent a lot of money but in truth was ******* useless, we made more progress in 18 months under Cotterill and Gary Johnson than we did in four whole seasons under that clown.

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Limited resources!

He spent £600k on Lee Peacock whilst we were in League One (an enormous sum then) and paired him up front with a bloke who had cost us a million pounds.

Answer my question. Who would you have replaced Clist and Burnell with?  They were even worse than LJ.

So yeah, limited resources 

Wilson did alright with what he had to work with. When you think of how many of his squad had come through the academy, none of whom went on to big and better things bar Hill and possibly Doherty. For the likes of Coles, Burnell, Clist, Phillips, Carey, Brown, Amankwaah, Fortune, other Brown, and players we bought in like Murray, Matthews, Roberts. This was the peak of their careers.

As usual, there was always money for forwards, but not for the defenders that the team was crying out for. 15 years later and that is still the case, every season.

Doing alright, however, doesn't get you promoted.

I enjoyed the Wilson era, lots of academy players, some great attacking football and winning the LDV at the Millenium Stadium was fantastic. However, when it came to the crunch, he couldn't quite take us on to the next level. He went on to do exactly the same at both Swindle and Sheffield United. So no, no chance he would of taken us to the Prem.

21 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Was watching some old videos of the Wilson era. We were so good to watch back then. Certainly more entertaining than the GJ team. 

How on earth did we not go up? We were a Graham Kavanagh and Peter Thorne/Earnsahw away from it. Frustrating we didn't push the boat out for that type of established player. 

Had me thinking that if we had beaten Brighton at Wembley would Danny have progressed us at Champ level? 

Your menthol you are.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Answer my question. Who would you have replaced Clist and Burnell with?  They were even worse than LJ.

So yeah, limited resources 

If I had a million pound striker I'd have paired him with someone costing £250k and spent the other £350k on a midfielder.

Otherwise I'd have paired Tinnion and Doherty in the middle and played Aaron Brown wide left.

Wilson was probably too busy getting the beers in, or getting that player who was so drunk that he fell asleep in a ditch to try to sober up..

I think its pretty much been said on here aleady but - talented squad, good football, unfortunately masked the fact we weren't becoming a professional outfit as the world was changing around us while us fans all wondered why our talented players weren't able to get us promoted.

DW couldnt change with the times and wasnt going to get us promoted from the 3rd tier let alone the 2nd.

13 hours ago, Robbored said:

I know Tom. I used to see City players in the Sawyers Arms in Nailsea. 

Scot Murray was banned because of his profane language which got worse the more pissed he got. I saw Peacock fall off the bar stool......I could tell you loads of stories.

Profane? ..... is that a posh way of saying inebriated Scottish??

Archived