IGNORED

How did you meet your partner?

WTFiGO!?!

2 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Genuine question. How did that work? As in how do you get in touch with someone like that? I have no idea. 

As I said before I was surrounded by boys in my neighbourhood, I guess this was more of a boys thing as they all had CB radios either in cars if they were old enough to drive or in houses if they weren't. My brother had a CB and used to chat with his school mates, me being nosey used to listen in as basically that's what it was, groups of people chatting and others listening or sometimes asking to join in conversation with total strangers, young and old. It wasn't at all private, but that had good points as well as bad. All us teens got quite clever at using code in case our parents were listening, you could pick up conversations on some ordinary radios! 

unless you were really serious you'd only use an aerial which had a range of a couple of miles, often less if there were other CB radios used nearly as they would knock each other's signal out, therefore you really only chatted to quite local people. I used to chat to the lads in my neighbourhood on the CB and just like this forum got to know people. I can't rember if the future MrRedM joined my conversation or I his but we got chatting.

2 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

So it's like an old school version of MSN messenger?

I guess so, I not that aware of that really. 

Anyway people used to meet up occasionally, there was a meet locally in a back room of a pub. I didn't want to go alone so the future MrRedM said he would go with me, he took his friend and I went with my sister. We both had joked on the CB that we might meet someone as neither of us were seeing anyone ( hell we were young). We went to the 'eyeball' at the pub and as we had arrived together everyone assumed we were a couple! Anyway soon after we were. 

I guess it's quite weird now that I chatted so much to him before we met, but it must have been right for us, that was 1983, been married for 28 years and have 2 children!

MSN chatroom back in the day. She was moving to Bristol from Colchester, and starting at UWE, so she started visiting a Bristol room. Ended up being in the same "room" a few times, and started chatting. Her Aunt/Uncle Live in Fishponds and she was staying with them for a bit, but wanted to know more a out the area.

Were talking for a little while, she came back to Bristol after Christmas 2005, was bored one night as she was the only one of her friends to return after christmas, phoned and said "do you fancy coming round?" I wasn't doing anything so said yeah. 

Started seeing each other more and more, made it official in May, got engaged the same day we lost to Hull at Wembley (the only plus point of that day), then married 2 years later in 2010. 

Neither of us were really "looking" when we met. Just meant to be.

7 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Right people. 2moro I'm going to send my future partner a message. Been a few days since the last where they didn't reply but it was late and not really a reply able message. Any ideas what to say? How to keep the convo flowing?

If you actually want it to go anywhere, then I'd be careful who you take advise from on here  :whistle:

Joking aside, keep it simple. Do you want to meet up for a drink? If the answer is a straight no, then I'd maybe give up... If it's yes, see how the conversation goes, common likes/dislikes....  honestly, be yourself.

19 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Right people. 2moro I'm going to send my future partner a message. Been a few days since the last where they didn't reply but it was late and not really a reply able message. Any ideas what to say? How to keep the convo flowing?

"Hey, just wondering how you've been? Did you fancy meeting up soon?" 

50 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

You said earlier there was an instant connection, chemistry and attraction.

If that was mutual you can't go wrong.

Just tell him/her how you felt when you were together, and did they feel the same?

The chances are it's just what they're wanting to hear to break the ice, and if not, well at least you know.

Sorry to hijack the thread BTW everyone. I do love OTIB as it can be a great community. Me and Noggers have had our disagreements yet gave some good advice , that's what I love about this place.

Need to be a bit honest here, I wasn't exactly truthful when I said they live in a different City,  well I was but didn't mention that City was across the Irish Sea.  A little bit embarrassed how I can fall for someone in another country so asking about meeting up is a little tricky without a bit of planning. It's why I'm hesitant to be too forward. Can't help who you fall for tho I suppose.

I'll pluck up the courage later to send a message and post the reply. 

Aww come on, in the scheme of things a bit of sea is no distance. You could always plan to visit her, get her to show you around. Book yourself into a hotel so you don't assume things and at the very worst you would have a long weekend in a city you haven't seen before. Say you've always wanted to visit and what is there to do. She will be on her own territory, see where it goes from there.

7 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

@Up The City!

Whilst we might all take the piss from time to time, we can also do serious and help when we can see it's genuine. Take Tipps or Southports threads in the past for example. 

Yup, got to echo this. We really do all pull together when needed, sometimes a couple of hundred heads are better than one for sure. Makes me proud. 

2 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Sorry to hijack the thread BTW everyone. I do love OTIB as it can be a great community. Me and Noggers have had our disagreements yet gave some good advice , that's what I love about this place.

Need to be a bit honest here, I wasn't exactly truthful when I said they live in a different City,  well I was but didn't mention that City was across the Irish Sea.  A little bit embarrassed how I can fall for someone in another country so asking about meeting up is a little tricky without a bit of planning. It's why I'm hesitant to be too forward. Can't help who you fall for tho I suppose.

Having met my future wife at university, we then went though the 1st year with her living in Germany, with 2 years of years of me in Manchester and her in London, and 2 years of me in Grand Cayman and her in London. 3 of the last 5 years of marriage have had us in different countries (her back in Bristol for 2 of them). I.e. whilst separation can be tough, it is by no means insurmountable. 

16 hours ago, RedM said:

I guess so, I not that aware of that really. 

Anyway people used to meet up occasionally, there was a meet locally in a back room of a pub. I didn't want to go alone so the future MrRedM said he would go with me, he took his friend and I went with my sister. We both had joked on the CB that we might meet someone as neither of us were seeing anyone ( hell we were young). We went to the 'eyeball' at the pub and as we had arrived together everyone assumed we were a couple! Anyway soon after we were. 

I guess it's quite weird now that I chatted so much to him before we met, but it must have been right for us, that was 1983, been married for 28 years and have 2 children!

Eyeballs was the term for meeting up with someone off CB.

3 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I flew to Dublin from Bristol, watched The Arctic Monkeys, Royal Blood, Jake Bugg & someone else, slept in the airport & then flew home the next morning, flights were £50 or so for a return ticket, so not ridiculously high priced.

Why not check to see if there are any gigs coming up over there (if you're into music) & invite the other person to the gig?

I shan't give you any relationship advice though as I've decided that I'm better off being single compared to being with the people I've had relationships with. It'll save me a lot of hassle & money in the long run!!

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

I try not to bear any sort of grudge against the individual when I have strong disagreements on here. We all love the club and have strong opinions and are probably sometimes far more forthright on OTIB than we might be face to face. We all get carried away and go a bit OTT on occasions, but little point in taking it too personally. We all fall out with friends and family sometimes as well, but mostly quickly put it behind us, and that's the best policy on here too imo. I'm well aware several posters have a permanent dislike for me, and my opinions, after previous disagreements, but that's their problem!

In your shoes the worst thing would be to do nothing and allow the chemistry you felt - and believe the other person reciprocated - to just fizzle out.

Taking the bull by the horns could go either way, but at it's best could be life changing for you both.

Far from easy, but think positively in that respect while also being prepared for disappointment.

I'm certainly no relationship guru, but from what you've told us you've got nothing to lose by being bold and plain spoken, and potentially everything to gain.

Good luck with composing your message, and with the response.

I'm bloody rubbish at this dating game.

So basically a few days ago they tagged me in a pic which looked like it was taken from under a table on our night out. So i thought Ahh ill say something about that to start the convo off. It went like this...

Me: That was Sneaky taking that pic (laughing smiley)

Them: My bad (loads of laughing smileys)

Me:  Looks like your hud under the table taking it (laughing smileys)

Them: No I was sat across from you with a child on my lap (laughing smileys)

Me: haha yea of course you was (smiley) could have took a better one of me (smiley) although I suppose it's difficult to take a good pic when your under a table trying to sneak a pic (laughing smileys ) Wish I could go back to that night as it was a great night 

Them: No reply.

I always try to use humour in these situations but have failed miserably it seems. I was going to go on and say I was speaking to my friend earlier (their cousin) and I've arranged to come over in the new year, do you fancy doing something? But no I just use loads if rubbish jokes and put them off.

Time to go away with tail between my legs.

Archived