IGNORED

City Foundation (Merged)

bs3

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 13:51, bs3 said:

The club phoned me today and tried signing me up for this City Foundation, is anyone on here a member of it and if so what are your opinions and benefits of becoming a member.

cheers

shows how things change, when I was in it when it started the top prize was a house or 30,000 pounds the good old days indeed.

Been in it for donkeys years.  I have, shall we say, been rather successful.

In the early days won a Austin Metro ! (1988 era before they became Rover)  In a part share.  The draw happened at a Xmas game home to Brighton at half time and 'our' ticket came up. (Three of us chucked in and split the monthly cost  back then). So was presented the car a few games later early in New year, had to drive it round the edge of the pitch, and out.  Then had to pay to get back in to see the game !  Only at City a!:facepalm:

In the 'new'  Foundation scheme one got £2K in a draw about 7 years ago,  and also had a few tenners along the way !

I know some older fans were have left as unhappy that the 'cause' that the money went into has changed over the years, it used to be solely for the academy and helping bring young kids through into the club.  It is no longer that.  However if you have a tenner each month free it is still a worthy cause !

I joined about a year ago - the only real reason is the person who phoned sounded so bored like she had about 100 previous No replies.

I thought this will f her up so said yeah !! The sound of her scrabbling around the desk for the next part of her script amused me for hours after - almost worth the tenner a month or whatever it is !! :P

To be fair it is just another direct debit and I like to think I'm helping a bit.

I had a cheque for 50 quid or something a few months back which was a "nice post" day !!

got a call today about joining the city foundation did not recognise the number, wanted to know my bank details sounded plausible but thought I would warn people, asked me questions that as a season ticket holder they should have already known, it may be genuine but I would not take the risk.  

1 hour ago, pillred said:

got a call today about joining the city foundation did not recognise the number, wanted to know my bank details sounded plausible but thought I would warn people, asked me questions that as a season ticket holder they should have already known, it may be genuine but I would not take the risk.  

Same. Didn't like the woman's tone as she wouldn't confirm what the call was about when I asked upon answering. Just kept asking if I had time to discuss the foundation. Hung up.

FYI City, when you cold call people and the recipient asks what the call is about, it's polite to tell them rather than bluntly saying you'll "discuss it in detail if you have 10 mins"

31 minutes ago, SARJ said:

Same. Didn't like the woman's tone as she wouldn't confirm what the call was about when I asked upon answering. Just kept asking if I had time to discuss the foundation. Hung up.

FYI City, when you cold call people and the recipient asks what the call is about, it's polite to tell them rather than bluntly saying you'll "discuss it in detail if you have 10 mins"

Had the same, in the end just said no thanks as they seemed quite pushy 

6 hours ago, G Block said:

I got a call a few weeks ago asking if I wanted to join... But I am already a member surely they should cross reference this before going through the City database

Indeed - I had the same. Even after I told them I was a foundation member they carried on telling me I could get discount on match tickets.

Obviously got my number off the database but ignored the ST holder ticked box too !!

I don't think these are actual employees of Bristol Sport, the Foundation or anything collected to the club. They are Agency workers who have limited knowledge of the product they are trying to sell, they have been given a list and just cold calling people.  Horrible job but they got to try I guess. But no they aren't actually club employees

• Admin
17 hours ago, G Block said:

I got a call a few weeks ago asking if I wanted to join... But I am already a member surely they should cross reference this before going through the City database

15 hours ago, Red Army 87 said:

My caller confirmed that I was a season ticket holder, then proceeded to ask if I go to many games...

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I don't think these are actual employees of Bristol Sport, the Foundation or anything collected to the club. They are Agency workers who have limited knowledge of the product they are trying to sell

You would certainly think the foundation would have records of all those people in the scheme already and run it against the list of people planned to be contacted - simple bit of IT work

I had the same remark about going to games, if I was not already in the scheme I would be thinking straight away there is something amiss if the persons knowledge is that poor

The worrying this is this agency is selling / representing Bristol City, if the company is that poor with their calls the club should be in touch with the agency and giving them at least some basic knowledge 

29 minutes ago, phantom said:

You would certainly think the foundation would have records of all those people in the scheme already and run it against the list of people planned to be contacted - simple bit of IT work

I had the same remark about going to games, if I was not already in the scheme I would be thinking straight away there is something amiss if the persons knowledge is that poor

The worrying this is this agency is selling / representing Bristol City, if the company is that poor with their calls the club should be in touch with the agency and giving them at least some basic knowledge 

Totally agree. I don't know how great the success rate is, I guess it is productive as they wouldn't use the services of an Agency, but to me for every one they recruit they are probably putting off loads more by their approach.

I haven't had a call during this batch yet but a couple of months ago I did. My son is a member and I explained that yes I am aware etc as we had membership, the person was quite pushy for me to get membership myself as I could win the yearly draw etc. I told him son hadn't won a sodding penny in the several years he had joined so I wasn't willing to try my luck!

I was called this afternoon, the caller had been coached to try and build rapport and asked my thoughts on Fridays match, before he got into selling the Foundation bit. I told him I'd been a member and that the benefits I got from it never seemed to match the monthly cost, so after a couple of years I stopped paying (for those who are interested, I think I received 2 pieces of Bristol Blue glass for the best part of £300 outlay over a couple of years or so). 

Anyway, we didn't discuss the glass on the phone, but I was surprised that after I had said the benefits don't justify the premiums, the caller then went onto say that I'm not the only one who thought that and some 8 /900 thought the same and left for the same reason ! (a little too honest, perhaps) which amused me. He did say that they were hoping to improve the benefits in the future

He could've been following the old overcoming objections formula of Clarify, Empathise, Explain and Close, but I reckon not. In fairness to him, he was polite without being pushy (8/10), tried speaking football lingo (6/10) and finished by saying that he did hope I enjoyed the game on Friday (9/10)

It's not easy cold calling and fair play to the guy for giving it a go, and good effort City for trying it too. Probably need to tweek the benefits package, or at least tell the callers what the new benefits are or they'll be wasting their time. 

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 18:28, locobaker said:

Pill Red. Pill is lucky in The Draw go for it.

I won the big one 20 years ago. The Great Paul Cheesly pick up my cheque because I was overseas. Then the next year he won it

were you the one that won a house or 30 grand, shows how times have changed. 

15 hours ago, Lord Northski said:

He could've been following the old overcoming objections formula of Clarify, Empathise, Explain and Close

Yes I do understand how you feel, I felt the same way after the first year or two of my membership. But I found after a while that the cash prizes did start coming in and a while ago I was delighted to find a cheque for £500 drop through my letter box as the quarterly prize! In all I've won well over £700 since I signed up to the Foundation which, with the regular social functions and quizzes, means my small monthly membership fee has given me great value for money. Most importantly though, to make a contribution to such a worthy cause that is closely tied to your beloved Bristol City really is going to feel good isn't it?

How did I do @Lord Northski on Overcoming Objections? The above is all a true story by the way, I have indeed won that much from the City Foundation over the years.

However, I can't actually remember exactly how long I've been a member, possibly getting on for 10 years, in which case I've paid in more than I've got back in prizes. Plus I've never actually attended any of the social events, and for that reason I have vaguely thought about cancelling. But you don't need to include all the facts in your pitch.

3 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Yes I do understand how you feel, I felt the same way after the first year or two of my membership. But I found after a while that the cash prizes did start coming in and a while ago I was delighted to find a cheque for £500 drop through my letter box as the quarterly prize! In all I've won well over £700 since I signed up to the Foundation which, with the regular social functions and quizzes, means my small monthly membership fee has given me great value for money. Most importantly though, to make a contribution to such a worthy cause that is closely tied to your beloved Bristol City really is going to feel good isn't it?

How did I do @Lord Northski on Overcoming Objections? The above is all a true story by the way, I have indeed won that much from the City Foundation over the years.

However, I can't actually remember exactly how long I've been a member, possibly getting on for 10 years, in which case I've paid in more than I've got back in prizes. Plus I've never actually attended any of the social events, and for that reason I have vaguely thought about cancelling. But you don't need to include all the facts in your pitch.

:laugh:, Brilliant job, and I take your point about too much detail. Just thought that if anyone from the club was reading it or taking any notice at all, then a little timely constructive feedback wouldn't go amiss.

Congratulations on winning all that cash though, could certainly have gone a long way towards me not cancelling the direct debit when I got around to looking at my banking stuff whenever I did it.

Archived