IGNORED

Are we now serious play off contenders?

Top Robin

Just got back, and still buzzing.

Yes, why not. Or to give a longer answer, yes, why not, along with pretty much at this stage half the league.

The good news is that we are still in my mind improving and looking stronger game by game. In terms of teams that typically go up in auto, I think we still give the other side to much of a fighters chance quite often; case in point today, first half clearly the better side, but Ipswich could still have snuck a couple. Equally, that is at least in part because we are progressive, and I would much much rather watch exciting games than dull ones.

If we continue to play this well, the issue in January might be holding what we have rather than strengthening. We will see.

I think we are now looking a little better than comfortable mid table. Given average luck on injuries that kind of thing, then at the moment I fancy Wolves and Villa. Cardiff and Leeds look strong, but not unbeatable. Other teams who just have a really good season will finish in the top six. Why not us?

I also think we benefit at the moment that there no real pressure on us. Unlike say Wolves, no one really is expecting us to get in the top six, and I suspect mid table or better most of us fans will think deep down, yes a season of progress. The key may be not getting disappointed if that is what transpires.  Players look to be enjoying themselves rather than looking in any way stressed. Maybe that will change if we are in this position with ten to go. 

Dare to dream?

A quarter of the season has gone and we are where we are. 5th in the league and 4 points from the top.  Do we deserve to be there? Absolutely.

We are playing with pace, skill and strengh. Chasing, closing down, blocking and working as a unit.  There also seems to be a togetherness about the team and right through the club at the moment.

We have someone who can fill every position when needed without weakening the team.  Add to this a 3 match unbeaten cup run with 2 premier scalps already and only have to beat a Palace side who have amassed zero points from their first 7 games to reach the quarter finals.

This is feeling like a promotion season and still with a chance of winning the league cup to secure a place in Europe for the first time in the clubs history.

Bring it on. COYR

25 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Its looking good but wouldnt say we are contenders yet, it maybe previous false dawns or expecting a team to figure us out keeping me from believing but I have no idea how any team can figure us out other than beating us at our own game.

Teams we have played so far would have had us scouted and fed our strengths and weaknesses back to their coaching team. So far aside from the Birmingham game that we dominated and should have got at least a point, no one has been able to beat us or play us at our own game. The only way I can see us losing is if teams try and flood the midfield and force us to play long. I think LJ wants Đurić as that option on the bench should that scenario happen and use him as a focal point of the attack to play off him as not many teams have a 6'6" CB. When Đurić is back we will have a squad that will be even more threatening to other teams

35 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Its looking good but wouldnt say we are contenders yet, it maybe previous false dawns or expecting a team to figure us out keeping me from believing but I have no idea how any team can figure us out other than beating us at our own game.

5 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Teams we have played so far would have had us scouted and fed our strengths and weaknesses back to their coaching team. So far aside from the Birmingham game that we dominated and should have got at least a point, no one has been able to beat us or play us at our own game. The only way I can see us losing is if teams try and flood the midfield and force us to play long. I think LJ wants Đurić as that option on the bench should that scenario happen and use him as a focal point of the attack to play off him as not many teams have a 6'6" CB. When Đurić is back we will have a squad that will be even more threatening to other teams

Didnt Norwich have us almost figured out? I thought they were unfortunate not to score.

27 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Far too early for this kind of thread.

Hold it until December, if we're not doing well then forget it, if we are top 4 then perhaps. If we are 5-10th then push the thought back and see where we are in March.

Whilst ordinarily I'd agree, it's worth taking a step back. In a week our players travelled to Norwich away and got a point, travelled back to Bristol and broke down a resilient Bolton trying to kill a game, they then travelled the breadth of of the country for the third time in a week to win in style at a ground we never get anything from.

That is really, really impressive. It's early doors but it's starting to feel like it could be a good year. No predictions it will be yet. 

We are in a good place.  If we are to push on our game management definitely needs to improve.  We were still chasing the game at 2-0 when a more savvy team would have sat back and invited Ipswich on to them and looked to hit them on the break.  We got away with it today against an average side, but may not later on, particularly when our form dips, which it inevitably will.

i worry that we don't play Hegeler away from home.  He looks the natural midfield anchor we need to manage games better.

That said, a fantastic start with the club being in the best place it's been since the 1970s. 

7 minutes ago, Raging_Robin said:

In my opinion, we are 100% contenders for the playoffs. 

You say that, and I'd love to agree with you, just that...well... right now at this point in time, I'd rather wait till January and see where we are then. Not being negative, just being a little be realistic, we are only 11 games in, there are still 12 other teams to face for the first half of this season.

2 hours ago, El Hombrecito said:

Yes, but when we are actually allowed to start to believe?

After every good result somebody will say something along the lines of "yes, but let's wait until after X amount of games, then we can start to believe..."

Eventually we'll just have to admit that we're actually pretty good.

Let's wait after 46 games and then we can judge our prospects 

1 hour ago, Raging_Robin said:

Serious contenders yes. I'll keep saying it until I'm blue in the face. This is the most talented and balanced squad I have seen. 

In my opinion, we are 100% contenders for the playoffs. 

How old are you RR? Just genuinely trying to gauge where you are coming from with 'most talented and balanced squad' you have seen

On 9/16/2017 at 11:17, Alex_BCFC said:

Weren't people saying a similar thing last season. Way too early.

They were, but there feels something entirely different this season.  We are dominating good teams.  Getting results and finding ways to win.

It is way to early to talk about Play offs, but it aint too early to be excited about the way we are playing.

Stevo

Way too early to say.

Last season we looked to be fairly solid, was it Rotherham away when we had the lions share of the possession and a seasons worth of shots but only managed a draw, before we threw away what should have been 3 points at Wednesday.

Then the wheels properly fell off.

Hopefully that won't happen this season, but there is a lot of football to be played yet.

Archived