IGNORED

Have we under estimated LJ ?

bpexile

46 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

This seems to be the latest way to slightly detract success from LJ. It’s just as wild and unsubstantiated a guess as last season’s ones about Holden being some sort of curse or Jonah. We only get a tiny snippet of what actually happens at the club so people don’t really know who does what and what impact it has.

The coaching team are only as good as the manager; after all the buck stops with LJ to make these appointments. They’re clearly a good team though which is good to see.

If it is the latest way then you've invented it. There was nothing wild about my post. I'm suggesting that Jamie Mac has been a significant factor in the change of form. In doing so I'm admitting that I was wrong about Pembo.

How would you explain our recent successes?

1 hour ago, ForeverRes said:

It had nothing to do with the previous result. 

I was just referring to the fact you're speculating on things on the basis of nothing. You no idea the roles LJ, JMac, Holden play behind closed doors. None of us do. 

I think collectively they are doing something right, based on results. 

Be nice if people took the trouble to read what has been written after serious thought.

11 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

If it is the latest way then you've invented it. There was nothing wild about my post. I'm suggesting that Jamie Mac has been a significant factor in the change of form. In doing so I'm admitting that I was wrong about Pembo.

Well he might have been, he might not have been. Exactly the same as saying Holden was a big factor in our poor form. It’s a guess because we don’t know the impact of individual coaches. Managers and players get the glory for this reason.

How would you explain our recent successes?

Many different factors - good recruitment, good system that fits our players, better tactics, seemingly happier players - yes the coaching staff must feature in that too; but it’s not something we can measure really because we don’t actually know their individual impact.

51 minutes ago, spudski said:

The buck stops with LJ...but the success at any Club, depends on the infrastructure and other coach's brought in, and their willingness to go with it, understand what's needed, and the most important....TIME GIVEN TO IMPLIMENT IT ALL.

LJ came in with a plan and a style of play he wanted to implement for the long term.

That wasn't going to be successful in this league in it's first season.

You need time to bring in the right players and time to coach those ideas...for them to be understood and ingrained.

We never got absolutely hammered last season, or out played every game.

More often than not, individual errors cost us.

It's those individual errors being less and understanding of what's needed that's made a difference this season.

It's also no coincidence that our foreign imports and done rather better than in previous seasons.

They have had a knowledge and understanding of the type of coaching being given now, from an early age. They fit in straight away...and are able to pass that knowledge on to our British players, who haven't had the 'higher level of technical coaching and understanding that they have had'.

It's a big pot, of many pieces coming together and working as one.

Yes...the buck stops with LJ...but it isn't just his ideas. He impliment's many, but he has the foresight to bring in the personnel able to work with them.

It's a package....all successful managers make sure they are surrounded by the right people for them.

Look at Alex Ferguson and his selected backroom staff as an example.

So you have managed to blank Preston away from your memory then? Can you let me know exactly how you have achieved this as it still gives me nightmares.

It is fairly clear to me that personnel changes in the squad and coaching staff, have helped to improve the togetherness of the club.

I make this comment/assumption from my own view of how the team and it's members appear to be much more willing within games to help their colleagues in all kinds of situations. There are lung busting runs to support strikers, hunting in a pack to get the ball back and also to help colleagues when an error by one or more is made that brings danger to our own goal.

I have also been given snippets of information from people that I trust who, although not deeply ITK, have more close contact with the club than I could ever have. Most of this info arrived after we came out of the horrendous run last autumn and winter. Thus my opinions about LJ especially and the coaching staff, during that period have now been tempered to such an extent that I believe that they are doing the best they can for BCFC. Whether that is just good enough to keep us up or to take us upward to new levels, remains to be seen. But the evidence so far this season, is encouraging. It's not that we are gleaning points and cup wins better than last season's start, but the manner in which we are doing so. 

I recently forecast after four points gained against Villa and Reading, that we'd get nine after Wolves, Derby and Norwich. Only one point is needed tomorrow, but I have a sneaky feeling that we'll have eleven points from these games.

14 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

So you have managed to blank Preston away from your memory then? Can you let me know exactly how you have achieved this as it still gives me nightmares.

Every team in the English League system can come a real cropper now and then. Our worst result in the last two or three seasons in terms of goals conceded is PNE.

But look at the converse from us. In the last two seasons we have twice hammered Huddersfield at home. Yet look where they are. And this season Liverpool thump Arsenal 4-0 and are walloped by Man City. As a long suffering Red how about Boxing Day 1955 at Plymouth when we lost 0-5 but won at home the next day 6-0.

However well we play, there is always a big defeat coming our way sometime. So PNE 2017 is now old history even if it gave all of the club a big kick up the backside and by doing so, helped us to make some good progress since.  

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

You mean like he has done twice already for us?

One time mainly of his own making admittedly but another of someone else's.

Okay, if we should expect an 8 game losing run then my reply to the original post is a no, I haven't underestimated him.

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

You mean like he has done twice already for us?

One time mainly of his own making admittedly but another of someone else's.

I'm impresssed by the signs this season but

What was the second occasion ? (somebody else's making) ?

If you're referring to when he took over - JP had got us some results and turned the ship

In my view - potentially massively.

He asked for 3 windows, fairly luckily got them and in that time he has bumped out troublesome players (and coaches) !!

We now have 2 players in every position and players that seem to get their role, formations etc and a team spirit not seen for a while.

Not getting carried away but I believe we will continue this form and will bounce back much quicker from set backs and defeats.

Top 6 finish this season !!

5 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

It was so funny when LJ claimed the win against Chalton when he was sat in the standa when JP was in charge!

Did he? Genuine question because I don’t remember that.

5 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

As you say JP strated the turn around not LJ.

This season is just like last season's start. Some good and lucky wins in the league and the start of a cup run. Can't knock it so far. Norwich a other good test of the encouraging start.

It’s better than last season’s start. We’re far more convincing and there were signs that we’d falter eventually this time last year. We totally relied on Abraham, this year we’ve got goals all over the team.

A good way of measuring is the Expected Goals.

Don't know if Experimental 3-6-1 had them last season but...that's usually a decent marker of performance. Would say we are about par at the minute, maybe our GD is one or two too high but basically performances are reasonably matching points thusfar...

Don't want to look overly far ahead, I'll just enjoy it for now.

19 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I'm impresssed by the signs this season but

What was the second occasion ? (somebody else's making) ?

If you're referring to when he took over - JP had got us some results and turned the ship

Yes I was referring to him turning things around after Steve, as well as last season.

Of course some credit has to be given to JP, but major credit also goes to LJ for keeping us in the division, when under SC it looked like we were all but doomed. 

To clarify though, i'm not saying LJ's been underestimated, just thought it was interesting that someone posts something along the lines of 'i'll judge after he turns a losing run around' when he has had a hand in doing it twice already at the club.

When he was absolutely diabolical last season those calling for his head (myself included) were told to "wait and see". This season the start has been promising in the main but very early doors, so I will heed ;last seasons advice to "wait and see".

I do not want to see him fail incidentally, because by implication that means the club I love is in the shite again.

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Well his win ratio here is 40% which is very respectable. As for spending huge, we have had huge fees for Kodjia and income from the Bolasie deal amongst others. I doubt our net spend is that high.

8 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

A decent enough overall record.

The average from that over a 46 game season is 68.68 points.

69 points in a season would be around 9th.

Not saying he's done badly just not under estimated with all things considered.

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Well his win ratio here is 40% which is very respectable. As for spending huge, we have had huge fees for Kodjia and income from the Bolasie deal amongst others. I doubt our net spend is that high.

I did the numbers on our spend a few days ago.

Depending on exactly what we got in the sell ons and what we got for Agard (Transfermarkt didnt give a value) we are somewhere between £1.6m spent and about 500k profit.

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Can’t wait for the inevitable ‘Have we over estimated LJ?’ thread after we go on a poor run 

If we don't beat Bolton on Tuesday I reckon.

I'm all for optimism, enjoying the moment and hoping for the best for the future but it is amazing how much opinion has changed since the Brentford and Millwall games which were just 4 league games ago.

I think I must be in the minority who thought things weren't quite as bad as all that last season/start of this and will wait a little longer before dreaming of promotion!

45 minutes ago, Keep the Faith said:

If we don't beat Bolton on Tuesday I reckon.

I'm all for optimism, enjoying the moment and hoping for the best for the future but it is amazing how much opinion has changed since the Brentford and Millwall games which were just 4 league games ago.

I think I must be in the minority who thought things weren't quite as bad as all that last season/start of this and will wait a little longer before dreaming of promotion!

While many are feeling much more optimistic about things at the moment, I doubt there are many who feel we are promotion candidates or even dream of promotion.

There are a lot more positive signs than this time last season, but we have a young and relatively inexperienced squad and doubtless we will come up against tough opposition over the rest of the season and the resolute performances against Brentford and Wolves won't always happen when we are put under that sort of pressure. 

The squad looks stronger throughout ( who would have thought that Flint might not be our first choice at the heart of defence!) and we at last seem to have our way of playing, and it is working, What we might just lack is that bit of experience - a Paul Hartley in midfield would be ideal just now - so I am hopeful of a top half finish and if we maintain early season form we might just be close to the play offs. 

However, we all know just how tough this division is and can be, and there are some tough teams with very strong squads, that I would expect to have the quality over the whole season that we probably lack at the moment.

On 19/09/2017 at 20:50, TheCulturalBomb said:

We're 9th in the league and had a solid start. Getting a bit carried away with ourselves, just remember how bad things were last season.

1 hour ago, Super said:

I think many need to calm down a bit. We are 8 games into a season.

Who exactly is getting carried away?

Archived