IGNORED

The new goalkeeper

GrahamC

4 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Looks like the no.1 based on that. Got everything Frankie has plus his distribution so much better.

Good to hear that in a lot of ways, although Frankie has been in great form recently. Take the point re distribution, but nice to have a decision to make.

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Yeah frankies shirt at the moment definitely . Steele more comfortable on the ball though and did nothing wrong at all , made some decent saves. 

Always looked a really sensible / good signing and a good fit personality wise

Great to have two keepers ticking all the boxes - maybe the strongest pairing we've had for a long time

Excellent 

As a good pro Steele will know he has to wait his chance

45 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Second goal really old fashioned.

Goalie smack it straight down the middle, Fammy heads it on, Taylor scores a good strikers goal.

Easy this game sometimes!

We had tried it a few times but it didn't quite work, thought Stoke would have learned from the Previous times. I really enjoyed that goal.

Really impressed with this guy, looks a great acquisition.

On the "Number 1" question, I agree it is FF's shirt based on performances to date but I can see this squad depth / rotation issue (call it what you will) is something LJ wants to promote and expect to see both keepers used, the same on the outfield positions.  A philosophy of not dropping players just selecting from a squad to suit the next game.  In his post match Radio Brizzle interview on Saturday, LJ said he had already selected the team to play Stoke days before the Derby match.

Just watched his interview and he is an impressive interviewee. Most interviews are Beanhead leading the player to give the obvious answer but this guy actually thinks about his reply. When asked if City deserved to be ahead at half time based on the performance, he stopped and thought and then pointed out they had 3 chances in the last part of the half, so no he did not think we should be ahead. Refreshing.

3 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

Just watched his interview and he is an impressive interviewee. Most interviews are Beanhead leading the player to give the obvious answer but this guy actually thinks about his reply. When asked if City deserved to be ahead at half time based on the performance, he stopped and thought and then pointed out they had 3 chances in the last part of the half, so no he did not think we should be ahead. Refreshing.

Was just about to say this. Always preferable to see this type of interview rather than a player spout out what they've memorised in media training.

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Looks like the no.1 based on that. Got everything Frankie has plus his distribution so much better.

Can't agree with that. But good to know we have quality back up.

Frankie playing out of his skin so far. 

Honestly feel he should be our number one. Granted based on one game but for me he was assured, great shot stopper, came and commanded his area in dead ball situations. Distribution was second to none and led to us scoring the second goal. Yes frankie is a great shot stopper but always looks prone to a mistake and think the defenders pick up on this and look on edge worried to make a mistake. 

the one on one was good to see, he kept upright, timed his rush out perfectly and completely blocked the guy out - no mad rush and sliding challenge *ahem*

He looked ring rusty to start, but got better as we went on, what did he do to his hip though? he seemed to hurt himself falling on that shot. FF got up to warm up i noticed.

14 hours ago, Float'n Over said:

Really impressed with this guy, looks a great acquisition.

On the "Number 1" question, I agree it is FF's shirt based on performances to date but I can see this squad depth / rotation issue (call it what you will) is something LJ wants to promote and expect to see both keepers used, the same on the outfield positions.  A philosophy of not dropping players just selecting from a squad to suit the next game.  In his post match Radio Brizzle interview on Saturday, LJ said he had already selected the team to play Stoke days before the Derby match.

Disagree as such with rotation of keepers,re; league fixtures.

If Frank maintains current form no way should he be left out....even for one or two games-what would be the point ?..no way is keeping as physically demanding as outfield.

Good to have the competition though.

3 hours ago, Saunders87 said:

Honestly feel he should be our number one. Granted based on one game but for me he was assured, great shot stopper, came and commanded his area in dead ball situations. Distribution was second to none and led to us scoring the second goal. Yes frankie is a great shot stopper but always looks prone to a mistake and think the defenders pick up on this and look on edge worried to make a mistake. 

I have been critical of FF but he has been immense this season you can't just drop him. GK is a position in which confidence plays a huge part. If you drop the inform Gk because you believe you'll get a marginal gain you shatter his confidence because you appear to have none in him. What happens if Steele then gets injured/suspended. 

I get where you're coming from but if FF always looks prone to a mistake then it won't be long until Steele gets a chance.

36 minutes ago, RichardEdd said:

I have been critical of FF but he has been immense this season you can't just drop him. GK is a position in which confidence plays a huge part. If you drop the inform Gk because you believe you'll get a marginal gain you shatter his confidence because you appear to have none in him. What happens if Steele then gets injured/suspended. 

I get where you're coming from but if FF always looks prone to a mistake then it won't be long until Steele gets a chance.

FF has indeed been immense, no question about that, really love the guy, I'm happy with him between the posts but by using the word "drop" you have missed the point; who said anything about "dropping"  Rotation keeps both keepers fresh.

12 minutes ago, Float'n Over said:

FF has indeed been immense, no question about that, really love the guy, I'm happy with him between the posts but by using the word "drop" you have missed the point; who said anything about "dropping"  Rotation keeps both keepers fresh.

Well, I think if you look at the quote with my comment you'll see someone calling for Steele to be number 1 (as did at least 1 other poster) which would imply dropping FF. You did talk about rotation in your post but I was clearly not replying to you.

On the idea of rotation, I don't think it works well with GK's. Again it is a confidence position and I think it's better to be relatively consistent in selection. Cup games are a good opportunity for whoever is understudy to get games. If we did start rotating our GK's then we would be virtually unique in doing this. 

13 hours ago, Eastred said:

Totally agree. Frankie is a safe pair of hands, but his distribution is dire. I have complete confidence in this new guy, but Frankie has somehow managed to see off other goalies, so it's going to be interesting  to see who gets to be Number 1......

His distribution isn’t dire....it’s tactical, under both Cotts and LJ.  It’s always been kick it left to Bryan... is we have Flint too.  I always thought it meant for a lop-sided set up.  FF is perfectly decent in open play.  LS made a very competent debut.  The save at his near post from Adam’s skidding shot in second half was smart keeping.

An astute signing.  I liked having the early O’Donnell and Fielding competition, but this looks better (ok, bit OTT from one game).

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

His distribution isn’t dire....it’s tactical, under both Cotts and LJ.  It’s always been kick it left to Bryan... is we have Flint too.  I always thought it meant for a lop-sided set up.  FF is perfectly decent in open play.  LS made a very competent debut.  The save at his near post from Adam’s skidding shot in second half was smart keeping.

An astute signing.  I liked having the early O’Donnell and Fielding competition, but this looks better (ok, bit OTT from one game).

Have you not seen the number of times Frankie kicks the ball straight out of play? Or how often he has to take a second touch from a back pass? His distribution is the weakest point of his game...

5 minutes ago, Eastred said:

Have you not seen the number of times Frankie kicks the ball straight out of play? Or how often he has to take a second touch from a back pass? His distribution is the weakest point of his game...

better into touch then at an opponents feet, especially under pressure, gives the team time to get their shape back and re-orginise 

Archived