IGNORED

Back from the game - Ratings

Davefevs

So.  Having missed Saturday's rampant performance, was a bit sceptical tonight against a decent Stoke eleven.  No problems with 9 changes to our side, the plan was always to pick two sides to keep players fresh, and the ones coming in chomping at the bit.  Fully deserved win, could'be easily been 4-1/5-1.  They had a bit of ping-pong in our 6 yard box in first half injury time (reminiscent of Hull last season) and after the missed one on one by Sobhi at 1-0 (perhaps a key moment) they flashed a couple of good balls across our box late on.

Tactics were spot on, good pressing on a central two of Fletcher and Adam (neither massively mobile these days), and also at the right times against Martins, Zouma and Wimmer, none of who are sufficiently decent on the ball when pressured.  You wouldn't have seen Flint look out of place alongside any two of those three, and Hegeler might look the pick!  Sobhi was their dangerman (never heard of him), but luckily he was a bit wasteful.

Ratings - 6 equals a player earning their corn

Steele 7 - impressive debut, made a couple of very good saves and pushed the ball away from danger when right to do so.  Has the experience and back story to be an astute signing to push Frankie.  You certainly wouldn't worry about him coming in based on that performance.  Cane out and took a great ball to ease the pressure from a late cross.

Vyner 6 - tough game for him tonight.  Often Stoke's best (if few) chances came down his side.  Caught a little bit by trying to overplay.  Will be fantastic learning for him, and always makes himself available.

Magnússon 7 - wonderful player to have as cover for Joe or the CBs.  Looked assured on the ball, and good positioning for the flicks from Crouch.  Choupo-Moting rarely got the better of him.

Flint 7 - perfect game for him v Crouch, and dealt with him well.  A great volleyed clearance in first half and good headers from crosses. Close to an 8.  Looked a threat in their box too.  And what a drilled pass to O'Dowda (I think) late on.

Hegeler 8 - great partnership tonight, never got caught with Crouch, picked up flicks and so good on the ball.  In fairness Flint played good balls into midfield tonight, but Jens looks so calm.  A couple of Inspector Gadget tackles too.

Eliasson 6 - a few flashes early on, but not the final ball we wanted.  Worked hard, picked up fouls on him, neat and tidy.  Would like to see him with Pisano.

O'Dowda 7 - what an eye-catching, hard working performance.  So often took the ball deep into Stoke territory, and would've so deserved that point blank shot had he lifted it over Grant.  Thought his awareness at the back post was very good tonight.  Worked well with Hördur.

Pack 8 - tireless performance, so good with the ball, made Fletcher and Adam look ordinary.  Great closing down of the keeper late on typified how he set the press tonight.

Brownhill 7 - pest of a performance, everywhere.  Kept it simple on the ball, the the fluid movement with Pack made Flint and Hegeler's job much easier...they rarely had to go long.  A lot to look forward to in the future from Josh.

Diedhiou 7 - so much more like the player I saw on tv / Internet at Angers.  Gave their defenders a physically tough time.  Great ball for Taylor first half.  Should've taken his one on one inside 2 minutes.  Great flick to set Taylor free for his goal, and great follow-up for his own.  Mmmmm 4 in 9 starts.

Taylor 8 (and a bit) - saw a very good striker's performance tonight that I didn't think he had in him.  Super finish across the keeper for 2-0.  Made some very good runs....I've never had a problem with that, it's always been the bit of quality lacking.  Tonight that was the chance into side-netting late in first half. But he made up for that, involved in everything second half.  My MOTM...just.

Bryan, Smith, Reid - can't be bothered!

Well done City.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So.  Having missed Saturday's rampant performance, was a bit sceptical tonight against a decent Stoke eleven.  No problems with 9 changes to our side, the plan was always to pick two sides to keep players fresh, and the ones coming in chomping at the bit.  Fully deserved win, could'be easily been 4-1/5-1.  They had a bit of ping-pong in our 6 yard box in first half injury time (reminiscent of Hull last season) and after the missed one on one by Sobhi at 1-0 (perhaps a key moment) they flashed a couple of good balls across our box late on.

Tactics were spot on, good pressing on a central two of Fletcher and Adam (neither massively mobile these days), and also at the right times against Martins, Zouma and Wimmer, none of who are sufficiently decent on the ball when pressured.  You wouldn't have seen Flint look out of place alongside any two of those three, and Hegeler might look the pick!  Sobhi was their dangerman (never heard of him), but luckily he was a bit wasteful.

Steele 7 - impressive debut, made a couple of very good saves and pushed the ball away from danger when right to do so.  Has the experience and back story to be an astute signing to push Frankie.  You certainly wouldn't worry about him coming in based on that performance.  Cane out and took a great ball to ease the pressure from a late cross.

Vyner 6 - tough game for him tonight.  Often Stoke's best (if few) chances came down his side.  Caught a little bit by trying to overplay.  Will be fantastic learning for him, and always makes himself available.

Magnússon 7 - wonderful player to have as cover for Joe or the CBs.  Looked assured on the ball, and good positioning for the flicks from Crouch.  Choupo-Moting rarely got the better of him.

Flint 7 - perfect game for him v Crouch, and dealt with him well.  A great volleyed clearance in first half and good headers from crosses. Close to an 8.  Looked a threat in their box too.  And what a drilled pass to O'Dowda (I think) late on.

Hegeler 8 - great partnership tonight, never got caught with Crouch, picked up flicks and so good on the ball.  In fairness Flint played good balls into midfield tonight, but Jens looks so calm.  A couple of Inspector Gadget tackles too.

Eliasson 6 - a few flashes early on, but not the final ball we wanted.  Worked hard, picked up fouls on him, neat and tidy.  Would like to see him with Pisano.

O'Dowda 7 - what an eye-catching, hard working performance.  So often took the ball deep into Stoke territory, and would've so deserved that point blank shot had he lifted it over Grant.  Thought his awareness at the back post was very good tonight.  Worked well with Hördur.

Pack 8 - tireless performance, so good with the ball, made Fletcher and Adam look ordinary.  Great closing down of the keeper late on typified how he set the press tonight.

Brownhill 7 - pest of a performance, everywhere.  Kept it simple on the ball, the the fluid movement with Pack made Flint and Hegeler's job much easier...they rarely had to go long.  A lot to look forward to in the future from Josh.

Diedhiou 7 - so much more like the player I saw on tv / Internet at Angers.  Gave their defenders a physically tough time.  Great ball for Taylor first half.  Should've taken his one on one inside 2 minutes.  Great flick to set Taylor free for his goal, and great follow-up for his own.  Mmmmm 4 in 9 starts.

Taylor 8 (and a bit) - saw a very good striker's performance tonight that I didn't think he had in him.  Super finish across the keeper for 2-0.  Made some very good runs....I've never had a problem with that, it's always been the bit of quality lacking.  Tonight that was the chance into side-netting late in first half. But he made up for that, involved in everything second half.  My MOTM...just.

Well done City.

Pretty much agree with those ratings.

Hegeler absolute class at the back. As you say, Taylor and Pack also very impressive.

Interesting reading this, I concur with the majority. 

I thought O'Dowda was the best player on the pitch.

Conversely, I thought Magnusson was poor tonight and was the obvious weak link. Just goes to show how we all see things differently.

2 minutes ago, WesM said:

Conversely, I thought Magnússon was poor tonight and was the obvious weak link. Just goes to show how we all see things differently.

Yeah Magnússon was wobbly, wouldn't say poor though. We didn't really help out the full backs with the square balls and mistakes across the midfield early on.

Perhaps harsh on O'Dowda who was our most potent threat in the first 60 minutes - he carried the ball superbly and made up a lot of ground.

Magnússon took a while to get into the game - thought he looked sloppy at the start, but improved so much by midway through.

Also Brownhill proved he can be a centre midfielder, calm, strong and assured and Bryan why left back is probably best for him - he should have finished them off late on.

3 minutes ago, WesM said:

Conversely, I thought Magnússon was poor tonight and was the obvious weak link. Just goes to show how we all see things differently.

How odd, O'Dowda was my Man o'Match but thought Magnússon was more than competent. In fact I thought Vyner was the only one to look uncomfortable tonight

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Well done City.

Agree with all of that. Have too say it's a pity there can't be a place for Hegeler (difficult I know) but what a rolls Royce of a footballer. Makes everything look so easy and his reading of the game is superb. Never flustered and great on the ball. Der kaiser 

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

O'Dowda for me.

4 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Perhaps harsh on O'Dowda who was our most potent threat in the first 60 minutes - he carried the ball superbly and made up a lot of ground.

Magnússon took a while to get into the game - thought he looked sloppy at the start, but improved so much by midway through.

Also Brownhill proved he can be a centre midfielder, calm, strong and assured and Bryan why left back is probably best for him - he should have finished them off late on.

I originally had COD as an 8, but as Taylor was my MOTM and I couldn't justify a 9, I gave MT an 8 and a bit....and should've put COD back to an 8.  

@GrahamC I'm a bit worried seeing Taylor play like that :P

Agree with all the ratings - Taylor and Pack were outstanding.  COD was next best but tried to do a bit too much at times and ran into a few blind alleys.

Eliasson and Vyner will have their time as they learn but made the right side a weak link but Stoke did not exploit it.

Was concerned at the start Flint and Hegeler would struggle for pace but if anything complimented each other and highlighted the strength in depth we now have.

Steele was composed and good distribution and as said no problem with him coming in when needed.

Taylor has caused a headache for LJ as has Famara - difficult to decide who to start Saturday with Reid and Woodrow in pole position before tonight I guess. Nice problem to have - all this worry about who would score when Tammy went is a distant memory- they all score !!

15 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Ita good to see COD growing more and more as a player and it would be nice to see him on the scoresheet, as he has been so close many times.

Not seen enough of Eliasson yet but he a lot of competition now with Leko.

Like O'dowda , brownhill etc we won't see the best of Eliasson until next season imo. There's definitely a player there but is very lightweight and gets pushed off the ball too easily at the moment 

Matty Taylor comfortably MOTM for me. Strong performances from the likes of Pack, Flint, O'Dowda & Hegeler but MT was superb. 

I still think he needs to improve his finishing, but he's actually a very intelligent player. Great movement and everything good involved him tonight. Very impressed.

Great performance tonight. Let's hope it continues.

3 minutes ago, Neo said:

Taylor has caused a headache for LJ as has Famara - difficult to decide who to start Saturday with Reid and Woodrow in pole position before tonight I guess. Nice problem to have - all this worry about who would score when Tammy went is a distant memory- they all score !!

I've been interested to see how Famara and Taylor would play as a two and I have to say, they look promising. They look to have a decent understanding with Taylor pointing and moving Famara around all the time. I like how passionate Famara was when Taylor scored...it was like he'd scored himself. Looks like a team player.

6 minutes ago, WRERE said:

Eliasson's set piece delivery is superb though. He put some great balls in from corners and a free kick in the second half.

Have to second this, the boy didn't have the greatest of games (wasn't poor though) but he can't half whip a ball in,

when he gets up to speed With the championship can you imagine him and Leko down opposite wings 

I thought O'Dowda had a storming game, our main outlet first half and had Johnson, an established prem RB, wondering what hit him.

Brownhill and Pack were outstanding gave Adam and Fletcher no time on the ball and won it back with ease at times, Taylor and Diedhou were quality as well. Overall a brilliant performance against a strong stoke team

9 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Are your ratings out of 8 or something? Seem a little low and conservative to me?

Mine?  I don't like to go OTT, but nor am I so extreme the other way too.

For Taylor, some great play, but also missed one on one, poor decision making in first half when he could have played Eliasson in, or moved the ball on.

The biggest compliment I can pay those players tonight, is that I wouldn't bat an eye lid if that was the srarting line up for a league game. Virtually every player picked up from where their predecessors left off on Saturday. Pack, Flint, Hegeler and O'Dowda were the standouts for me but Farmer and Taylor weren't far behind.

Massive credit to LJ and the coaching staff for getting every player looking like they deserve their place in the first team. 

You're only as good as your bench they say, well ours looks like it's packed with quality. 

Archived