IGNORED

Back from the game - Ratings

Davefevs

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Mine?  I don't like to go OTT, but nor am I so extreme the other way too.

For Taylor, some great play, but also missed one on one, poor decision making in first half when he could have played Eliasson in, or moved the ball on.

I get what your saying and had Taylor and even Steele played more this season I'd be agreeing with you. 

I think when you factor that in a bit of rustiness is understandable. Taylor will be beating himself up for missing those chances as those were chanced he would usually put away 9 times out of 10.

Really enjoyed the match and agree with the original poster ratings.  Vyner did ok, but the weak link in the team (tonight).  I like Magnússon but looks like a mistake about to happen and Elliason was a little disappointing with final ball at times.  A big HOWEVER, despite this we thrashed Stoke and what a fantastic squad!!

6 minutes ago, glynriley said:

The biggest compliment I can pay those players tonight, is that I wouldn't bat an eye lid if that was the srarting line up for a league game. Virtually every player picked up from where their predecessors left off on Saturday. Pack, Flint, Hegeler and O'Dowda were the standouts for me but Farmer and Taylor weren't far behind.

Massive credit to LJ and the coaching staff for getting every player looking like they deserve their place in the first team. 

You're only as good as your bench they say, well ours looks like it's packed with quality. 

I think what DH said on the radio is why we are seeing such impressive performances from every member of the squad.

He said that every training session is extremely intense so come match day the match is just an extension of the training sessions.

3 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I get what your saying and had Taylor and even Steele played more this season I'd be agreeing with you. 

I think when you factor that in a bit of rustiness is understandable. Taylor will be beating himself up for missing those chances as those were chanced he would usually put away 9 times out of 10.

Rustiness....I'm not that generous!

Taylor does not put away those chances 9 times out of 10.  I know it's an expression / phrase, but he is not clinical at this level...or at least he's not shown it yet.

Steele - 8 - Excellent first impression for me, won't be worried should he be required. Smart saves, came off his line well when needed and composed on the ball when passed back to him. 

Vyner - 6 - Solid enough although you could see Stoke were targeting him. A bit naive on the ball in the second half trying to do a bit too much at times when just clearing our lines would have been better. Signs of what we saw in the Plymouth game of getting forward but much more selective tonight about when. 

Flint - 8 - Solid. An absolute rock at the back tonight, Crouch won the odd header over him but matched him well enough, few great tackles, and a brilliant goal line clearance. 

Hegeler - 8 - If Flint did more of the dirty work (so to say) in defence then Hegeler brought the class to the pairing. Some of the defending by getting his body in the right place against the striker was glorious. Secure heading in defence and oozed class with the ball at his feet. Personally my man of the match. 

Magnússon - 6.5 - Good showing tonight, good in defence and decent enough with passing and moving for going forwards. Had the quieter evening of the full backs but not really his fault, no reason to be against him featuring again at left back. Felt giving him a 6 was a bit harsh. 

Eliasson - 7 - Very good on the ball, gave their left back a big problem in the first half, very good set piece delivery. Odd bit of miss control let him down at times, definitely improving though. 

Pack - 8 - Ran the show in the middle, a lot of, if not most of the play came through him, but I feel we also saw the best of his defensive work tonight as well with three or four excellent tackles and as always his distribution was excellent. 

Brownhill - 8 - Complemented Pack very well, was all over the place, not to do JB a disservice, but played the Korey Smith role very well. Cleaned up a lot of the time along with Marlon which freed up our wingers.

Callum O'Dowda - 8 - One of the best performances we've seen from him given the opposition we faced, Glen Johnson still holds his own at premier league level but CO'D gave him big problems, his powerful breaking runs were excellent. Just to draw a comparison to rugby they were similar to backs line breaking runs I felt. Added trickery we saw from him shows he's really coming on and that's before his defensive work we saw. 

Diedhiou - 7.5 - Strong and very good movement, excellent flick on but really should have taken his early chance. Feel we're seeing his fitness level improve, LJ previously said he could play for 60 mins, tonight he seemed he was still going well after 70 minutes and he was hardly slacking. 

Taylor - 8 - Given he's only just returned from injury that was an excellent showing, movement, passing and vision were all there. Maybe, just maybe you could say should have taken his chance in the first half and the one leading to Fammy's goals, but that's getting very critical. 

Joe Bryan - (rating given time on pitch) 7 - Playing in a LM capacity felt he showed he still provides the option of playing in an advanced role if required. Got forward well, good vision in the box and nearly scored an excellent goal. 

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Rustiness....I'm not that generous!

Taylor does not put away those chances 9 times out of 10.  I know it's an expression / phrase, but he is not clinical at this level...or at least he's not shown it yet.

Blimey, your a hard one to please.

OK for us he hasnt so far but in the lower leagues he did. However I'd say tonight was the first time we have played to Taylors strengths since he joined us. He was played much deeper for us last season and was more of a provider than a scorer.

I can't believe you have only given COD a 7 also.

30 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Like O'dowda , brownhill etc we won't see the best of Eliasson until next season imo. There's definitely a player there but is very lightweight and gets pushed off the ball too easily at the moment 

That was my thoughts as well as I was driving back home, think Eliasson could be one hell of a player, O'Dowda in my opinion needs a goal. Enjoyed the game tonight , surprised Stoke were so poor.

4 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Blimey, your a hard one to please.

OK for us he hasnt so far but in the lower leagues he did. However I'd say tonight was the first time we have played to Taylors strengths since he joined us. He was played much deeper for us last season and was more of a provider than a scorer.

I can't believe you have only given COD a 7 also.

He he :P 

I think Taylor was a streaky scorer for Rovers, fair play to him though.

COD - i did admit in a later post that I meant to give him an 8.

2 minutes ago, Toffee dog said:

That was my thoughts as well as I was driving back home, think Eliasson could be one hell of a player, O'Dowda in my opinion needs a goal. Enjoyed the game tonight , surprised Stoke were so poor.

Once he gets it, it'll be a huge weight lifted.  Brownhill's goal v Brighton was the same, really lifted him.

I thought O'Dowda was a menace tonight. Strong as well.

Hegeler and Flint stood tall throughout (literally)

Elliasson put in a couple of good crosses but still needs to adapt to the Championship.

I was slightly concerned about Vyner. He looked very flat footed and was very slow on the turn which is surprising for such a young lad. He really needs to work on his turns, but if he isn't able to quicken then he'll have to learn to position himself better, stand off until the last second and then come in for the challenge.

Stoke looked poor tonight, but we played a very controlled game for the most part.

We are certainly showing maturity in our play now. No panicking. 

If we can speed up a bit and create a bit more space in the final third (more off the ball running) then we will be right up there challenging for promotion.

You can see the confidence that 8 games unbeaten is bringing to the team.

Really enjoyed the match today.

That's only my second game this season but hugely impressed with the team tonight. You can really see things coming together with the speed of pass, movement , harrying ... don't know if we can keep this up but strength in depth suggests we can. And on that note i would say matty taylor was superb and looks a natural fit to style of play. Even flinty joined in with the squad flexibility thing by being a dynamic centre forward for a few minutes in the first half! looked pretty annoyed the ball wasn't delivered to him whilst he was up there to!

10 hours ago, WesM said:

Interesting reading this, I concur with the majority. 

I thought O'Dowda was the best player on the pitch.

Conversely, I thought Magnússon was poor tonight and was the obvious weak link. Just goes to show how we all see things differently.

Due to contractual issues I had to listen to the match on RB and Maggers did seem to be the name mentioned most when things didn't come off however this is all relative in a top , top team performance.

It should be remembered that he is not up to match speed having played very few games and with those team mates .

I rate him very highly and feel he's a little unlucky not to be playing more often . He must love 'Arry ! 

Archived