IGNORED

Famara Diedhou - cult legend in the making?

reddogkev

31 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Haha, was just because I remembered that Wolves thread. @reddogkev is a good egg. 

Yeah, at the time of McAllister's appointment there was uproar. I don't think LJ and Pemberton were capatable, perhaps partly due to the age difference. LJ was always going to want 'his men' in.

Yep and he's got them now. And he's had his three windows. And he's been given something that very very few owners ( or fans) give their Managers: TIME

This is the season that genuinely reasoned assessments can be made on whether all things BCFC are heading in the direction of top flight football.

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Why doesnt everyone just calm down and see how he develops.  To say he's not good enough or to say he's going to be amazing is ridiculous right now. He has been awful for some games, average for some and very good for 1.3 games

Just wait and see 

I agree with the principle but the forum would be a pretty dull place if everyone was patient and objective about players, managers and the club.

Think people often exaggerate on here a bit anyway to spark debate.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I thought he'd be popular after watching him vs Twente. Provided he manages to keep a 1 in 3 goal scoring record, I think he'll be a big hit here.

Absolutely. 1 in 3 over a 46 game period is a return of 15 goals. 

Who wouldn't have been happy with that return at the start of the season? Still getting used to the league/team as well....

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I agree with the principle but the forum would be a pretty dull place if everyone was patient and objective about players, managers and the club.

Think people often exaggerate on here a bit anyway to spark debate.

Not sure about that Foggy...Talk Sport try's to be objective and taken seriously....with crap spouted to spark debate. I hate Talk Sport. I also have a love hate relationship with this forum :laugh:

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

Not sure about that Foggy...Talk Sport try's to be objective and taken seriously....with crap spouted to spark debate. I hate Talk Sport. I also have a love hate relationship with this forum :laugh:

I agree really, it's like banging your head against a brick wall. Time and time again it's the same things..

People waxing lyrical about Warnock for being top after 4 games.. a couple of weeks later and he hasn't won in 3.

People writing Diedhiou off so quickly.. he then scores 3 in 3. See Matt Smith in 2015.

People saying Reid can't score against teams that aren't non league.. mid September and he's top scorer. 

It's the same lessons over and over with the same recurring themes - give teams time to find form and things to average out, give players (especially foreign ones) fair time to adapt.

Time and time again these lessons are taught and people fail to take anything from them.

I think though that this forum needs a bit of hyperbole and polarisation. There's a good range on here - good analysis and in depth discussion counter balanced with some very basic (and sometimes rather terrible) opinions on things. It needs both to make it what it is in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I agree really, it's like banging your head against a brick wall. Time and time again it's the same things..

People waxing lyrical about Warnock for being top after 4 games.. a couple of weeks later and he hasn't won in 3.

People writing Diedhiou off so quickly.. he then scores 3 in 3. See Matt Smith in 2015.

People saying Reid can't score against teams that aren't non league.. mid September and he's top scorer. 

It's the same lessons over and over with the same recurring themes - give teams time to find form and things to average out, give players (especially foreign ones) fair time to adapt.

Time and time again these lessons are taught and people fail to take anything from them.

I think though that this forum needs a bit of hyperbole and polarisation. There's a good range on here - good analysis and in depth discussion counter balanced with some very basic (and sometimes rather terrible) opinions on things. It needs both to make it what it is in my opinion.

I do agree mate... I as a person, I just struggle with the basic lack of thought by some and the over reactions. I need to be more empathic it seems.

I had two fans sat near me last night, saying how crap we were, and that better teams would have scored 4 or 5 against a rubbish side like Stoke... I kid ye not :facepalm:

That's what you're up against sometimes...

32 minutes ago, spudski said:

I do agree mate... I as a person, I just struggle with the basic lack of thought by some and the over reactions. I need to be more empathic it seems.

I had two fans sat near me last night, saying how crap we were, and that better teams would have scored 4 or 5 against a rubbish side like Stoke... I kid ye not :facepalm:

I've no idea what people expect from us.  Nine changes from Saturday and a relatively comfortable victory against a team that contained some top level players (albeit Glen Johnson and Peter Crouch have had their best footballing days a while ago).

Stoke paid £18M for Kevin Wimmer - three times the amount we've paid for our most expensive player.

Have a read of the Derby and Stoke discussion forums to see how disgusted they were with their performances.  We haven't yet earned the right to be seen as a dangerous team - but we've clearly taken Watford, Wolves, Derby and Stoke by surprise.  Some excellent results already and it's only September - I wish more people could enjoy that.  If we can keep playing at this level (in the league and the cup) then it could be a really good season.

14 minutes ago, Xiled said:

I've no idea what people expect from us.  Nine changes from Saturday and a relatively comfortable victory against a team that contained some top level players (albeit Glen Johnson and Peter Crouch have had their best footballing days a while ago).

Stoke paid £18M for Kevin Wimmer - three times the amount we've paid for our most expensive player.

Have a read of the Derby and Stoke discussion forums to see how disgusted they were with their performances.  We haven't yet earned the right to be seen as a dangerous team - but we've clearly taken Watford, Wolves, Derby and Stoke by surprise.  Some excellent results already and it's only September - I wish more people could enjoy that.  If we can keep playing at this level (in the league and the cup) then it could be a really good season.

I've noticed a few National papers in recent days have picked up on our forum, and mentioned whether we could be taken seriously as promotion contenders.

Whilst I think that's too soon, it does show people who follow football are taking notice.

And yes...other fans have been very complimentary of us. One even asking whether we'd swap LJ for MA....who'd have thought....

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

@reddogkev - one of the few who didn't fall off the edge of a cliff during last season's darkest moments about Lee Johnson so if he says Fammy is going to be a "monster" then he can have a big fat like from me.

As a fellow "happy clapping sleep walking uber-fan Johnson apologist"- I'm also gonna agree wiv him... Although I'm not sure if that bodes well for Fammy.

I don't know, I might have dropped off that cliff after the 5-0 Preston defeat.  If I had been in SL's shoes, Johnson would've been sacked that evening!

Thankfully, that Preston game was a strange blip, and we were revitalised after!

5 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I don't know, I might have dropped off that cliff after the 5-0 Preston defeat.  If I had been in SL's shoes, Johnson would've been sacked that evening!

Thankfully, that Preston game was a strange blip, and we were revitalised after!

It's an interesting quote RDK...if you had been SL that day....you would have had all the info and knowledge that goes on behind closed doors, to make a better assessed judgement.

Something RDK and the rest of us wouldn't have had....so when in SL's shoes, it's worth remembering all the info he has, that we don't.

I think a lot went on last season 'behind closed doors' that had we known, we might have viewed the poor results mid season slightly differently.

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's an interesting quote RDK...if you had been SL that day....you would have had all the info and knowledge that goes on behind closed doors, to make a better assessed judgement.

Something RDK and the rest of us wouldn't have had....so when in SL's shoes, it's worth remembering all the info he has, that we don't.

I think a lot went on last season 'behind closed doors' that had we known, we might have viewed the poor results mid season slightly differently.

I was thinking the very same when writing that response - what was occurring behind the scenes at the time?  Oh, what I would give to know what really does happen on the inside of the club, even though I have absolutely no right to know a single private detail.  It's strange being a lifetime fan, you really feel sometimes like you own City, or you are more invested than you really are.  I feel like City is my club, of course shared with many thousands of others!  Even now, in my mid to late thirties, I still aim to find a way of making billions, just to be able to buy City when ever SL feels like selling!!!

12 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I expected (and wanted) Johnson to walk once it was clear that we were in the middle of a long losing run.  I genuinely thought it was over at several games (Preston, and the capitulations against Reading and Cardiff at home).  Although we have been crying out for a longer-term management strategy for years, I just couldn't see how we could recover with the same coaches in charge.  I was wrong.

But, given that LJ managed to keep us up I thought he deserved the chance to start this season as first team coach.

Whatever happens now, that decision has been totally vindicated because we have won games that would have almost certainly not happened with a new coach.  I like the signings that have been made and I particularly like the strength in depth that we have. Famara Diedhiou could yet prove to be a bargain even at £5.3M.  Given the circumstances, I think the club handled the Aden Flint situation extremely well and what an inspiring player to still have on the books.  As for LJ seeing Bobby Reid's potential - probably the biggest surprise of all.

I hope the results and the good play continue.

It does feel as though a cloud was lifted when Tomlin was sold to Cardiff.  I have no inside information but the whole squad seems more relaxed compared to last season.  And supporters aren't waiting for every game in the hope that he will individually spark a game to life. He's gone, he can be forgotten and the squad is better without him.

19 minutes ago, spudski said:

No matter what goes on behind closed doors, it's the manager's job to deal with it. Tough, but the buck does stop there. Same in any company.

That said, as I've posted before, Lee is still a young manager and like young players he can learn from his mistakes and develop, and that's what I think he has done.

Although I was never a fan of LJ as a player, I've always respected his intelligence. An intelligent man adapts and changes to circumstances. Lee is doing that.

As for SL, maybe this episode shows why his long-term vision made him a billionaire and all us Johnson Outers aren't.  Time will tell, and it's still early in a long, long season, but the fact that we are at last playing proper, attractive football - and players on our books are improving, rather than going backwards - does speak well of LJ and the coaching staff.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Were you in S22 in rows 25-27 centrally situated, as we had two big fat planks there who used the word "shxx" so often it was pathetic. Thank goodness they are ST's there.

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The Warnock one always gets me. They're the same people who go on about Redknapp and Pardew, who cite one particular time (normally at least a decade ago) where they did a good job, and ignore the slew of other occasions where they totally bombed. 

It seems like naivety, plus a bit of reckless abandon to try and nick points, has cost Johnson, but other than that, the direction he's been taking City in terms of style of play, progressive training strategy and personnel, has always been far more appealing to me than any of the three listed above, who are all getting into the habit of starting well and leaving after a year or less at every club they go to.

4 hours ago, Xiled said:

I expected (and wanted) Johnson to walk once it was clear that we were in the middle of a long losing run.  I genuinely thought it was over at several games (Preston, and the capitulations against Reading and Cardiff at home).  Although we have been crying out for a longer-term management strategy for years, I just couldn't see how we could recover with the same coaches in charge.  I was wrong.

But, given that LJ managed to keep us up I thought he deserved the chance to start this season as first team coach.

Whatever happens now, that decision has been totally vindicated because we have won games that would have almost certainly not happened with a new coach.  I like the signings that have been made and I particularly like the strength in depth that we have. Famara Diedhiou could yet prove to be a bargain even at £5.3M.  Given the circumstances, I think the club handled the Aden Flint situation extremely well and what an inspiring player to still have on the books.  As for LJ seeing Bobby Reid's potential - probably the biggest surprise of all.

I hope the results and the good play continue.

It does feel as though a cloud was lifted when Tomlin was sold to Cardiff.  I have no inside information but the whole squad seems more relaxed compared to last season.  And supporters aren't waiting for every game in the hope that he will individually spark a game to life. He's gone, he can be forgotten and the squad is better without him.

For the nostalgic amongst you here's a photo of him at his new club .

IMG_0034.JPG

I think he is great at what is he is being asked to do for the team and he has a knack for scoring goals. He does look a bit rough round the edges but he is very effective at the moment. From what I have seen of Woodrow, I also think he is a great acquisition and a natural goalscorer and add that to Taylor's movement and interplay and Reid's pace and touch and constant running we are in a very good position. It appears that LJ also believes Đurić is a valuable player so we seem more blessed in the forward department. Moreover, we have a few midfielder who can add goals in Paterson, and  maybe even Brownhill, and then we have the phenomenon that is Flint, you can see why we are the second highest scoring team in the league.

Good times and amazing really, considering we have lost two of the best Championship strikers of the last few seasons, in Kodjia and Abraham.

2 hours ago, RichardEdd said:

Thought we performed really well. I'm a big fan of Wright but he wasn't great today, looking forward to Pissano coming back. A bit harsh to critise as condering he is out of position he has been doing well - but he did get pulled out of position a few times.

Fielding had another great game one fantastic save in the first half and I have to say (especially as someone who has critised him for it) distribution was great today including one or two amazing long passes into Fammy. 

COD had Knudsen in knots 1st half and was out main attacking outlet for most of it, this also seemed to get very Paterson more time on the ball when we did go left. Pats was great and he work ethic he has added to his game this season is seriously impressive. Also what an improvement with his delivery, crosses and in particular corners a few really drilled across rather than he usual floaty efforts. 

Fammy getting better with every game and Reed for me MOTM. A bit lucky with the goal but he really runs the show, drops back when we need him but keeps us ticking and sets the tempo for large periods of the game. I think it's easy to just focus on the goals And think that's the only improvement to his game but he pops up everywhere and pretty much always seems to pick the right pass or ball + knows when to keep it simple. 

Famara was good in Angers and he is good here. Liked him from start, remember first game vs Barnsley, he played with his defender and then a leftvolley in the crossbar, rebound goal! He worked very hard from start but sometimes the pass was wrong. He even helped in defence. 11 games now and is better and better, strong and long legs often from him before we score. He is very strong and brakes the.way for other players. Scoring he also can. He is perfect in City.

Archived