IGNORED

Ok I got it wrong

Redmycolour

We're not at the ten game mark yet, so there's little point having an opinion past our recent games.

My main worry with the squad this season is that we lack quality in defense and midfield. Thankfully, the cup games are showing that we do have depth, so I'm hoping that many of these players will get a chance to impress should we suffer in future games.

As already said, we did well around this time last season, and it all fell apart for a large portion of the season. I feel that recent results have wiped the slate clean for LJ, and going past the ten game mark will be his time to show that he can cut it at this level. A good coach will handle the bad as well as the good, and LJ needs to show that we can bounce back from defeats, all while keeping the players on side.

15 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

We're not at the ten game mark yet, so there's little point having an opinion past our recent games.

My main worry with the squad this season is that we lack quality in defense and midfield. Thankfully, the cup games are showing that we do have depth, so I'm hoping that many of these players will get a chance to impress should we suffer in future games.

As already said, we did well around this time last season, and it all fell apart for a large portion of the season. I feel that recent results have wiped the slate clean for LJ, and going past the ten game mark will be his time to show that he can cut it at this level. A good coach will handle the bad as well as the good, and LJ needs to show that we can bounce back from defeats, all while keeping the players on side.

Defense is our strongest position, 

Last season Tammy was about our only forward option with Kodjia's late departure, with Tomlin behind him pre-January, that's why we ran out of steam on the Autumn. Now with the squad stronger we can rest.rotate our forwards and play 2 up front so can't see a repeat of the collapse we had then although we're bound to have a losing run of 2-3 games at some point since all teams do.

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Even as a fan of Johnson's; I feel these type of threads that have been springing up are a bit hasty. 

Yes - there's a clear improvement in our recent form. The squad looks great, we're playing well and everything seems to be ticking along quite nicely.

It is only September though - plenty of time for things to go horribly wrong. I would suggest we enjoy the moment and hope it continues. I'm enjoying this season so far.

Christ alive Phileas.

A far better start than the last few seasons with some very good football delivering very good results.

What's everyones' fascination with our improvement being caveated or held back by phrases that suggest some are waiting for our start to go tits up?

5 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Christ alive Phileas.

A far better start than the last few seasons with some very good football delivering very good results.

What's everyones' fascination with our improvement being caveated or held back by phrases that suggest some are waiting for our start to go tits up?

Regular readers of the forum will know i'm a fan of Johnson. I've always tried to keep positive about him and like the guy.

It's not a fascination about waiting for things to go 'tits up'; it's cautious optimism. 

We have started well, we're enjoyable to watch and we have a well rounded squad. It's foolish to get too carried away in September though - and I'd believe that even if Pep was our manager and we had Aguero playing behind Diedhiou. 

Given last season; it would be even more foolish to get too carried away just yet. We've all seen how it can fall apart and totally capitulate. Enjoy the good times but it's a long season. 

As fantastic as the start has been (and it has) and as good as the actual football that's being played is, it's the improvements off the pitch especially in LJs demeanour that are giving me most hope. Last year there was blame and persistent platitudes coming out at every corner from him. Wild celebrations on the pitch if we won and quickly running off the pitch if we lost. Talk of Europe in 5 years. Cringeworthy online media (see the interview with the two coaches).  Things like that grated me a lot. However, this year LJs demeanour seems to have changed. He seems more level headed as it stands. And the club does also. The true test of course will come when we do go on a downturn (as we inevitably will) but I think the signs are good, that LJ and the team have learnt from last season and I'm feeling positive. Long may it continue.......

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

the one thing I've noticed, there is a real togetherness about the squad, all working hard for each other and looks like they are enjoying themselves in training too,

that amazes me because all the ITK's told us about the massive disharmony in the squad and how everyone wanted to leave and nobody wanted to work with johnson,

I take ITK's with a pinch of salt.

There were problems last season (during Oct/Nov - Jan/Feb), it was clear to see from the results. As to what those problems were, people played the speculation game and LJ took the brunt of it, followed by SL and MA (the easy targets) - sometimes OTIB became a cess pit of speculation, name calling and down right nastiness. Such is the nature of social media and anonymity.

I must say that some of the most vociferous detractors seem to be quite at the moment but will no doubt reappear if things take a turn for the worse. Let's hope that this doesn't happen.

For myself, I'm enjoying this spell of success and hope that it continues.

COYR

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Defense is our strongest position, 

We have strength in depth, there are question marks over most of our defenders from our performances last season. I've also been worried about how our weakness in midfield last season would often expose us in ways our defense would struggle to cope with, so I had hoped that we'd sign a first-team centre-back, and a proven central midfielder.

Thankfully, our performances in the cup have made me less worried, especially with Flint sticking around.

I was one of only a handful who voted to keep him in one of the final polls on here in the dark times last year, and that is after I disliked him as a player... However I have to confess I would have fired him myself after witnessing the Brentford game (where we were humilated footballing wise , no matter the result).

So glad he appears to not only have turned it around, but to be in the process of creating the strongest and best team I have witnessed in my 35 years of actively supporting the club. I realise that Sir Steves money is key, but LJ is a bright man and cares about our club far more then most of us realise. its not just a wage to him. City is "his" club and it was before he became manager.

I hope we keep it going and he becomes a true city legend..

My 2 pennies:

- agree it's the performances that are causing optimism compared to last year.

- Squad depth is significantly better too.

- teams may work us out but we have options to play different systems and even go direct if need be. How about a few balls aimed at Flint and Đurić in injury time; pretty difficult to defend, no?

- I wouldn't worry too much about chance conversion, our current rate has put us in the last 16 of the cup and made us league top scorers.

- LJ has stepped away a bit from the media this year which may have helped alter perceptions of him as a bit cringeworthy at times? That coupled with straight talking Macca.

Onwards and upwards (cautiously)....

2 hours ago, EnderMB said:

We have strength in depth, there are question marks over most of our defenders from our performances last season. I've also been worried about how our weakness in midfield last season would often expose us in ways our defense would struggle to cope with, so I had hoped that we'd sign a first-team centre-back, and a proven central midfielder.

Thankfully, our performances in the cup have made me less worried, especially with Flint sticking around.

the defenders  as a group weren't the problem the midfield was, followed by the full backs, one who has improved and the other thats been strengthened , defensive midfielder is tha massive hole in our side at the moment, something that needs to be addressed in Jan, when thats sorted we will have a good squad to give a dicent go of things

3 hours ago, brady bunch said:

I was one of only a handful who voted to keep him in one of the final polls on here in the dark times last year, and that is after I disliked him as a player... However I have to confess I would have fired him myself after witnessing the Brentford game (where we were humilated footballing wise , no matter the result).

So glad he appears to not only have turned it around, but to be in the process of creating the strongest and best team I have witnessed in my 35 years of actively supporting the club. I realise that Sir Steves money is key, but LJ is a bright man and cares about our club far more then most of us realise. its not just a wage to him. City is "his" club and it was before he became manager.

I hope we keep it going and he becomes a true city legend..

I think one reason for my support frankly is BECAUSE of the ridiculous stick he took as a player - completely undeserved. He wasn't a world beater but no worse than many others.

9 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

Look at the table early October last season. Hols your horses.

It’s a fair enough comment.  Last season I thought we were scraping results (much like @Olé), but had put it down to superior fitness getting us late goals, especially at home.  Could the same be said this season?  Time will tell.  I don’t think so.  We lost the influential O’Neil to niggling injuries for most of the season (sporadic match time accepted), Smith hadn’t had a pre-season, Magnússon got caught up by the demands of the Champ, etc etc.

This season my hope is that the squad, with two players per position (and decent players at that), logical rotation and a bit of luck will be able to keep up the style and high press demanded for our boys of lesser ability (comparatively) to be competitive.

i sense union between players and staff.  It won’t ever be perfect, only 11 (14) can play each game, there will always be favourites, first choices etc.  That will be the challenge for LJ.

6 hours ago, lenred said:

As fantastic as the start has been (and it has) and as good as the actual football that's being played is, it's the improvements off the pitch especially in LJs demeanour that are giving me most hope. Last year there was blame and persistent platitudes coming out at every corner from him. Wild celebrations on the pitch if we won and quickly running off the pitch if we lost. Talk of Europe in 5 years. Cringeworthy online media (see the interview with the two coaches).  Things like that grated me a lot. However, this year LJs demeanour seems to have changed. He seems more level headed as it stands. And the club does also. The true test of course will come when we do go on a downturn (as we inevitably will) but I think the signs are good, that LJ and the team have learnt from last season and I'm feeling positive. Long may it continue.......

I do think a bit of delegating of interviews is a masterstroke.  I went from really enjoying his chats with Twentyman and pre and post match stuff to cringing about his use of BS Bingo, his calling out of young players and his need to say too much.  We are getting a lot of additional media content from the club this season, and hearing JM and DH gives a different view, a different lingo...it keeps me from getting bored.

Can anyone ever really say they're right or wrong about Johnson? (or most managers come to think of it) Football is a never ending circle of ups and downs and every manager has both at some point in their careers. One min it's going great, the next it's not, then it is again. 

If there is a lesson to be learned from the last year I'd like it to be for fans to not be so reactionary. I pretty sure that won't happen but I can hope. 

5 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

The turning point for me last season was dropping Tomlin and playing Matty Taylor up front with Tammy.

Suddenly we were putting teams under pressure and not letting them build from the back.

We are doing much the same thing this season and have more players capable of doing it

The turning point was playing the same team week in week out for a goof 10 games. 

Last season City were too reliant on certain players who stopped performing. O'Neill started well, but his drop in form along with tomlin spelled trouble. LJ kept on playing them long after they should have been dropped. O'Neill wasn't playing in the 0-4 v Fulham and LJ should have taken note. He was awful away for 4 or 5 games in a row - especially Qpr - before he was finally dropped. He also tried to play brownhill in the middle along side pack or smith or O'Neill. Didn't work. LJ had made oneill skipper so probably felt he couldn't drop him. Wrong decision. 

Tough one. I'm really pleased things are going well at the moment, equally pleased for Lee, but need to give it an extended period of time before making a new judgement. Don't want him out the door at the moment which is an improvement! 

Never wanted a manager to work out well as much as LJ - here's hoping this is the start of something amanzing. 

Archived