IGNORED

City Vs Rovers at WSM FC : Thursday 16th November (Merged)

phantom

This was a tough game for our Under 23's. With so many of their squad out on loan or with our first team squad prior to Sheffield Wednesday, it's fair to say without denigrating anyone of our team, that it was our reserve team at this level against Rovers first choice. If we have strength in depth in the first team squad, it's more of the same at this age level. A real sign that we are a very different club than we were four/five years ago.

City started quite well trying to push the passes on the ground but it soon developed into a long ball game played at breakneck speed without anyone on either side having any time to settle on the ball. Our midfield were losing the battle for the rest of the first half. A scrappy goal from a corner followed by a screamer that dipped late left us 2-0 down at HT.

Same pattern for some while in the second half but slowly we got the ball down and began to play, mainly on our left side. Missed a pen but then got a similar goal to Rovers first from a corner, another pen scored and a then another goal from a corner.

Who impressed me most? Wollacott looks much stronger than when I last saw him. Plavotic is always looking for a short pass to midfield and only going long as a last resort. Defensively hardly lost a duel on the ground or in the air.

Holden reminds me of a twenty year old  Joe Bryan. Similar build but not outdone physically, primarily left footed but also able to use the right when cutting inside and enough pace over ten yards to be dangerous.

It's always a bit difficult for an amateur like me to pick up on on the good or bad bits technically. But the spirit and team work of everyone was the major reason why we came back into the game and got a win. To win at this level is not the primary concern, but it's good for youngsters to come back so well against a side that were perhaps a bit older and bigger. And it's always good to beat the Gas!  

16 hours ago, 54-46 said:

Their sweeper is pretty decent. Plays number 7 I think......

Number 7 for Gas is Broom a blond haired lad who I only noticed when he was carrying the ball through our midfield. That seemed to be quite often.

Gas fan near me said he'd played for the first team against W Ham recently in Checkatrade cup. 

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Number 7 for Gas is Broom a blond haired lad who I only noticed when he was carrying the ball through our midfield. That seemed to be quite often.

Gas fan near me said he'd played for the first team against W Ham recently in Checkatrade cup. 

Midfield..? Surely he should be a Sweeper..?!

• Admin
49 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Highlights up - https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/report-bristol-city-u23s-3-2-bristol-rovers-u23s/ 

That's second penalty wasn't too much of a stonewaller :facepalm:

Shame it missed the red card being shown, quite comical

Best bit the lads dad (Mike Kilgour) was stood just to our left as he got the red - let's just say he was not pleased with the decision

29 minutes ago, phantom said:

Shame it missed the red card being shown, quite comical

Best bit the lads dad (Mike Kilgour) was stood just to our left as he got the red - let's just say he was not pleased with the decision

"Killer" was a decent player in the non league circles, I  have a feeling he has some role at Rovers now?

3 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

It just seemed to me that was the original joke, the guy talking about midfield didn't get it, then you jumped back in with the same joke, hence it going round in circles...

I'm going to stop now.

Oh right, I didn’t see it elsewhere. 

4 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Taters gonna hate

They will indeed. But you'll get that over anything these days.

Saw an article in the Daily Mail other day this woman was angry cos her husband saved their daughters life, ONLY because the doc wrote a letter saying "well done for manning up" towards the husband... saying it was very sexist! I mean WTF? Your daughter is alive and saved, who cares what mannerisms the doctor wrote.

7 minutes ago, CrazyInWeston said:

They will indeed. But you'll get that over anything these days.

Saw an article in the Daily Mail other day this woman was angry cos her husband saved their daughters life, ONLY because the doc wrote a letter saying "well done for manning up" towards the husband... saying it was very sexist! I mean WTF? Your daughter is alive and saved, who cares what mannerisms the doctor wrote.

Sexist pig!

Archived